Side by Side not firing

Demonic69

31 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, seen a few botched attempts at removing these, seen a few gunsmiths with the proper tools struggle to get them out.

:good:

It's usually a good idea to go straight to the 'smith instead of botching the job first which then makes it more difficult with the damaged extractor holes.

12 minutes ago, wymberley said:

:good:

It's usually a good idea to go straight to the 'smith instead of botching the job first which then makes it more difficult with the damaged extractor holes.

this....................it usually needs heat and soaking in oil...........

If you need a hand with it bring it up to the workshop - you need the right tool to remove the disc set strikers which do look in poor shape but its impossible to tell if that's what is at fault. You have small chance of buying a tool new or second hand to remove the discs the distances on the pins are different from maker to maker in my experience. I usually end up making a new one for each job, every time i think surely one of the ones i have must fit - but no luck yet!

from the engraving on the barrels its very very similar in style to an arrietta that's in at the minute.

Edited by demonwolf444

18 minutes ago, demonwolf444 said:

If you need a hand with it bring it up to the workshop - you need the right tool to remove the disc set strikers which do look in poor shape but its impossible to tell if that's what is at fault. You have small chance of buying a tool new or second hand to remove the discs the distances on the pins are different from maker to maker in my experience. I usually end up making a new one for each job, every time i think surely one of the ones i have must fit - but no luck yet!

from the engraving on the barrels its very very similar in style to an arrietta that's in at the minute.

There you go, get it done PROPERLY!

48 minutes ago, demonwolf444 said:

Brilliant, thanks for the offer.

I won't be taking the strikers out myself, that's for sure! I'll get it cocked if I can, then see if it fires and cocks consistently. If not he can decide if he wants to get it fixed himself.

Would there be any makers marks or anything anywhere to identify the make?

Cheers

4 hours ago, demonwolf444 said:

Have a look at Helstones they do a good adjustable tool that works for most.  But they can still be a little @&£/er to get out. 

Having the right tool is one thing , getting them out is another . Having had some experience of this I would advise caution as it is so easy to damage the discs if the tool slip sdue to the  difference in the pin to hole size and depth. and hardness If they do not come out with a little force then stop and take it to a competent gunsmith . 

If the discs do get damaged it is not the end of the world but they will always look bad and the chances of finding replacements will be small . Fitting them is not straight forward with the need for filing to the face  and often having to drill the striker holes centered on the chamber not the disc .

Thanks to all your wonderful help, I got it cocking and firing.

Stripped out the action to see if anything was amiss with the triggers but all looked well. Pulled out the cocking dogs and reinserted at the correct angle and that fixed it!

Could have been a 5 min job but I did it backwards really :)

The right striker looks OK, if a little peened, but stays out when struck, so he can take it to a smith to remove and fettle. The left strikes and resets OK.

Cheers all!