BBC News

fern01

When a news item is about the royals, why does some poor person have to stand outside Buck House to report live? Same for Downing St or wherever. What possible value does that add to the item? I don't know how many people it takes to comprise a crew but the cost must be significant.

Watching BBC Breakfast News. One newsreader, one travel expert and one personal finance advisor from Hargrieves Lansdown all sat on a red sofa overlooking Dover harbour and discussing Brexit day. Was such a stage show really necessary and at what cost? It's about time the TV license was binned and the BBC required to be self financing. There would be less staff and staged news presentations as a result.

Just now, WestonSalop said:

When a news item is about the royals, why does some poor person have to stand outside Buck House to report live? Same for Downing St or wherever. What possible value does that add to the item? I don't know how many people it takes to comprise a crew but the cost must be significant.

hello, you can do a report with 2 people, 1 presenter one filming, even use a I phone, in fact is there anything you cannot do on a I phone

..good evening.

I'm Huw. Huw Edwards. This is the News

Over to Katya, Katya Adler in Brussels.

Hi Katya.

Hello Huw.

Blah Blah opinion. More opinion. Even more opinion. Blah Blah Blah.

Back to Huw in London.

Thank you Katya.

That was Katya.

Katya Adler.  BBC correspondent in Brissels.

Double U Tee eff is that all about. SIX name checks every time there is a new "news" item. Is it so they can self promote themselves to open village fetes or attend Bar Mitzvah's?

I couldn't give a flying you-know-what who it is - and why is it necessary to stand outside Buck House, The Houses of Parliament, The White House etc just to deliver a "news" item?

I can't watch it any more for fear of busting the tv.

To everyone here that moans about it...just remember...you're paying for it from your £150 a year tv licence fee!  If you want to stop the insanity that is the BBC, the massive, eye watering pay for staff and so called stars, then cancel your tv licence and don't watch 'live' tv!  I haven't had one since 2012...we watch mainly youtube  and of course there's PW...what else do you need!

1 hour ago, henry d said:

A second opinion?

Then please give me your opinion on the BBC, Henry.  Do you believe that it is politically unbiased?  Do you think that its so called 'stars / talent' should be paid millions yet the BBC do not want to give the over 75's a free tv licence, ie. not paid by HM Government?  Do you agree with the method of collecting / enforcing the licence fee ? (via Tv licencing, aka Capita Business Services).   Do you think that the BBC is basically, past its best / out of date?  Let's just hope that BoJo really does cancel the licence fee for the BBC......then we'll see if they can survive on subscription......which, in reality means, will all those Eastenders and Strictly fans actually pay for more of the same garbage?  Interesting times ahead.   Btw...happy Brexit!     

25 minutes ago, DoolinDalton said:

Then please give me your opinion on the BBC, Henry.  Do you believe that it is politically unbiased?  Do you think that its so called 'stars / talent' should be paid millions yet the BBC do not want to give the over 75's a free tv licence, ie. not paid by HM Government?  Do you agree with the method of collecting / enforcing the licence fee ? (via Tv licencing, aka Capita Business Services).   Do you think that the BBC is basically, past its best / out of date?  Let's just hope that BoJo really does cancel the licence fee for the BBC......then we'll see if they can survive on subscription......which, in reality means, will all those Eastenders and Strictly fans actually pay for more of the same garbage?  Interesting times ahead.   Btw...happy Brexit!     

well said!

8 hours ago, DoolinDalton said:

Excellent, you ask for my opinion and try to railroad me by defining the questions, your not related to rewulf are you?

I think Andrew Marr stirred up a hornet's nest over his interview with Bojo a few weeks ago, when he asked a question and as soon as Boris started to give an answer, AM was asking another question and generally talking down to the Prime Minister. You could almost hear Boris thinking "I'll get you for that".

The BBC do a lot of things very well, but I think they'll have to come up with an alternative form of funding fairly soon.

On 31/01/2020 at 08:52, WestonSalop said:

I agree 100%

Like most public sector organisations the BBC has traditionally operated on the principal that managing costs is low priority. The big names may get ridiculously expensive contracts but vast numbers of regular employees are over rewarded too. My B-I-L worked at the BBC for about 40 years and hearing about the scams and fiddles that everyone gets up to makes me seethe. Not at him as I'd have done it too, but at the utter lack of fiscal management of our money. After he retired they didn't replace him, instead they called him in on an ad hoc basis on eye watering fees over the next 8 years or so.

This is the last year I'll be paying for a TV licence.