Pheasant season

Jacko3275

Last year we had a beaters day on the 1st of Feb , on the very first stand I let two very shootable Partridges go past without firing a shot , when the drive was over the captain said why didn't you give them a shot , I told him I didn't think they were still in season as the extra day was used to trim a few a cock birds out , he looked on his clever phone and was informed you can still shoot Partridges on the 1st of Feb , silly me , I should have known that .

What strange season rules we have got , duck finished today on one side of the estuary wall and if you went on the other side of the wall you can shoot wildfowl for another 20 days , mind you , if you were on the Norfolk side of the river you cant shoot duck on a Sunday but if you were on the other side in Lincs then shoot at your hearts content :hmm:

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Last year we had a beaters day on the 1st of Feb , on the very first stand I let two very shootable Partridges go past without firing a shot , when the drive was over the captain said why didn't you give them a shot , I told him I didn't think they were still in season as the extra day was used to trim a few a cock birds out , he looked on his clever phone and was informed you can still shoot Partridges on the 1st of Feb , silly me , I should have known that .

What strange season rules we have got , duck finished today on one side of the estuary wall and if you went on the other side of the wall you can shoot wildfowl for another 20 days , mind you , if you were on the Norfolk side of the river you cant shoot duck on a Sunday but if you were on the other side in Lincs then shoot at your hearts content 

His smart phone wasn’t very smart. Partridges go out of season on 31st January.

10 hours ago, JDog said:

My mistake sorry.

No problem at all , I was always led to believe that Partridges finished the last day of January , another strange one is the Golden Plover and the Woodcock , there season run from the 1st Sept - 31st January and yet the poor old Common Snipe start on the 12th Aug - 31st Jan , Why should this be ?

4 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Just done our last day. Hope yours goes well mate. Best thing for us this year was not the birds but the kids we got involved. We had a wide range beating from 6 to 76. 

Well nobody turned up so was 2 guns and 2 beaters. On the plus side I shot my best bird of the season , a screamer which caught the 40 mph wind which I folded dead in the air 1st barrel ,made my season 😁

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well nobody turned up so was 2 guns and 2 beaters. On the plus side I shot my best bird of the season , a screamer which caught the 40 mph wind which I folded dead in the air 1st barrel ,made my season 😁

Top shooting again👍. We were short on guns today. We missed a day for the world cup so added the first on our dates.

I shot a walked up day today, made sure the team knew what quarry was legal. First drive 3 mallard and 2 woodcock presented and passed the line without harassment. Carried on like that all day and even the snipe got in on the act. It is nice seeing the birds regardless, a wry smile and a little kudos for those who out smarted us this year.

I “know” the dates, but still check start and finish dates for the various species every year with BASC. Memory isn’t infallible and dates can change so best to check with a reputable authority. 

I also use some personal restraint, delaying snipe until 1st October and woodcock until 1st December.