Scouts need unprocessed game

Dibble

Hi, 

My son is an Explorer Scout in Croydon South London.

As part of their Programme he suggested a weekend sleeping out under tarpaulins and skinning/plucking, gutting and cooking their lunch.

I have been volunteered to help (I'm a Leader in another unit).

It's on March 20th and we need some unprocessed game , ideally Rabbits.I can freeze them then thaw the day before.

This will probably be the first time any of the Explorers have seen meat arriving not in plastic wrapping.

Can anybody help, I will collect I travell quite widely around kent/sussex/surrey/somerset/devon/cornwall/birmingham/bucks/beds/Essex with work

As a suggestion, I'd recommend you get pigeons or partridge as well (If you have a game dealer near you, he'll be flogging them cheap at this time of year). Rabbit is a fairly horrible meat to roast over an open fire and is very, very easy to get wrong, so you need some back up tucker that will cook easy and quick - Pigeon breast kebabs on a green stick are quick, tasty and virtually foolproof. Mackerel over an open fire is delicious as well. 

6 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

Ask the scout group if you can catch some rabbits and pigeon in Frylands camp NEW Addington lots of  ground. Good luck

I presumed the rabbits at Frylands were untouchable!

Last summer at Downe during a Wide game we accidentally formed a beating line and trapped a deer in a corner formed by two fences at the back of the Axe throwing range. It was actually a bit dangerous until we managed to pull back one end of the line and let it escape.

I'm surprised and disappointed you've not been inundated with offers, unless you've received a lot of PMs.

This is a great idea and one that will promote country sports and should be fully embraced. 

If I was closer I would gladly help but surely there are members here in any of the area's you frequent that can help?

On 31/01/2020 at 19:45, stuartyboy said:

I'm surprised and disappointed you've not been inundated with offers, unless you've received a lot of PMs.

This is a great idea and one that will promote country sports and should be fully embraced. 

If I was closer I would gladly help but surely there are members here in any of the area's you frequent that can help?

On 01/02/2020 at 14:29, bumpy22 said:

Could not agree more

Not a single reply I'm afraid, we put notices up at the clay ground we shoot at and I'm going to see an old contact today so lets see.

It is an ideal opportunity to explain shooting, our duty to keep nature in balance and where food comes from and what it involves.

Ideally we need 15 pigeon and 5-10 rabbits.

We hear on this forum a lot of times about how we need to promote shooting for the sport to survive and this is a great chance for someone to help out a bit. As well as promoting shooting and conservation, it's giving kids a healthy alternative to sitting in front of screens and teaching them the reality of where food comes from. Hopefully someone steps up to the mark here. 

I'm too far unless you want them posted and I don't think Royal Mail would be too keen, however if you PM me with an address I will write a cheque for a few pounds payable to your Scout Group as a gesture. 

In the meantime, hopefully you get sorted. I'm sure most folk would like to help but are too far away or can't get the numbers. I hope so, because it's either that or there's a lot of selfish and lazy folk on this forum who talk a good game. Which I'm sure is not the case.

3 hours ago, Dibble said:

Not a single reply I'm afraid, we put notices up at the clay ground we shoot at and I'm going to see an old contact today so lets see.

It is an ideal opportunity to explain shooting, our duty to keep nature in balance and where food comes from and what it involves.

Ideally we need 15 pigeon and 5-10 rabbits.

PM sent

1 hour ago, bottletopbill said:

Have you put a note up in Biggin hill gun shop

Do you mean the Saddlery and Gun Room? No hadn't thought of that I'll give it a go.

Thank you all for the offers so far, Ideally just for the ease of keeping them cold I'm trying to find somewhere closer.

Edited by Dibble

A very easy but very tasty way to cook any breast meat but particularly pheasant and partridge is to slice the breasts into 1/4 inch strips then sprinkle with seasoning of choice. Skillet/frying pan, big knob of butter or some cooking oil(second best) when sizzling pitch in the sliced meat and keep turning occasionally until just brow on the outside(NOT too brown just a hint).

Butter caramalses the outside of the meat best.  Excellent finger food hot or cold.

Have a brace waiting for me downstairs to our meal tonight done exact;ly like that.

Easily done over a camping stove or a nice gleeding open fire.

Edited by Walker570