Slug liners and slugs.

manthing

Hear lots of talk about theses in higher powered airguns but I think I'm not getting the meaning. 

For example, is a .25 slug liner sumat that goes into a .25 rifled barrel? And how would it still be suitable for a .25 caliber slug... 

Ederkate a mear sub 12ftlbs shooter will you peeps. 

As far as I can fathom - people who own FX Airguns have lots of money and, often, a massive desire to be better than everybody else. Now, the FX financial dept are constantly encouraging their R&D boffins to stop quaffing flagons of snaps and help top up herr Axellsons coffers so he can afford to shop at Waitrose. In rare moments of sobriety ,said boffins cease barfing and return to their Ikea skrivbords and, armed with their very own crayons, scribble barely believable abstract designs on the back of each others Fag packets. Every evening the cleaning lady (who looks like Ulrika Jonsson's mum) picks up said packets and puts them in the bin. Normally Axellson is hanging around the bins enjoying his "touch of Tyresta" Vape whilst often checking out the Fag packets for any ciggies left inside. Hence the odd, oddball idea is born. When something vaguely feasible strikes Freddie he passes the basic concept to J.K.Rowling to write the advertising blurb before getting Volvo to knock up have a dozen prototypes (these are known as "Limited Editions" to Daystate owners) and then finally superglues the new designs to existing Airguns and passes them to his hired YouTube army to flog. sorry, test, them.

The Slug liner is a barrel - not a liner but liner sounds far posher and appeals to the desired victim,sorry, buyer. A Slug is a bullet but again, Slug sounds better.

But all this could be wrong as it's written by A/ An FX owner & B/ A Cynic.

In other words it's a thin barrel supported by a stronger tube and located using O rings - think of it as a barrel that's simply too flimsy to be used outside a stronger supporting structure. And yes, Stu, of course I consider myself superior - my ramblings on this very forum are considered as charitable work and as such are tax deductible - this, in turn, enables me to shop at  some of the best Jumble sales in our Ghetto. 

An external liner would be a jacket surely? An internal combustion engine has cast iron liners (usually a bit of a mix) but these are not easily/normally removed. TBH this has most likely all come about as a result of FX attempting to manufacture barrels as quickly and cheaply as possible - I believe that their rifling is "press forged" and to make this process easier the barrel needs to be as thin as possible.

Really glad I asked. 😲

Some fantastic answers. 😁

Come on lads Giza chance... 

If you have, let's just fer instance say an fx .25 gun with the standard (all be it superior 😉) .25 rifled barrel. What's the process involved to end up firing .25 slugs through a .25 caliber slug liner? 

I noticed that too Ultrastu. .30 has a 1 in 40 twist rate. I know they did a lot of testing with twist rates and choking. Must be the best they found, it's a popular bench rest caliber in their guns.

Usually higher weight more twist.

In.22 & .25 two different pellet liners A & B.

The B liner for heavy pellets in .22 25gr plus.

Apparently they do work, I watched a video a good while ago of some fella swapping over and trying them with different weight pellets.

This has to go back to angular momentum .obviously  if your buying a .30 cal airgun .your gonna expect to shoot it  accurately long range. A .30 cal has a lot of mass round its edge and as such when spinning ,that rate of spin wont slow down much over its fight .so if we over spin it  with too fast a twist rate the pellet ,although accurate up to a point will become more  unstable as the range increases .

Manthing its a barrel but not very thick so not self supporting, hence the term barrel liner.

The barrel in this set up is the outer blued or blacked steel with breech ports etc and locks into the breech. The liner is fit inside this and held with a locating nut. The shroud fits over the lot.

Many rifle barrels have been drilled bored out and new sleeves bonded in. Does this make them two barrels one barrel or liner and shroud ? 

Glad all that's cleared up 🥴

Edited by figgy

That may be so, Chaz25, but the FX barrels were not initially designed to be ultra accurate - they were searching for quicker ways to make a serviceable barrel. Figgy - By the very definition of the word barrel the outer supporting tube cannot be called a barrel - no projectiles are fired through it - if we were to start calling it a barrel then a Mod and a flash suppressor would also be barrels?