Slug liners and slugs.

manthing

Er, actually no - FX designed the smooth twist in 2005 after experiencing problems with suppliers and it was Freddie who then showed the design to Ben Taylor - it was Ben Taylor that then came up with the idea of impressing the rifling into the barrel from the outside. Had FX of designed the barrel in a normal diameter, pressing the rifling would be impossible. But I could be wrong, any reference to evidence to the contrary is most welcome.

I'm liking this, every day's a school day.👍

Never knew that, as what I watched or read was what I had written.

Whichever way it came to be, I like it. It's very accurate at silly ranges. Loads less deformation to the pellets.

Edited by figgy

6 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I read it somewhere (cannot recall where) but the idea of "rolling" the rifling into a liner (barrel) came about when they were experimenting with quicker barrel making techniques.

That would make sense, profit and cost per unit would be better, I guess looking at the Crossman straw and shroud system, weight and cost must of been the prime factor, also seen a good program on AR15 barrel manufacturing (hammer forged over a mandrel) again I guess main point for military supply is cost per unit as well as tolerance control.

Edited by Chaz25

All very interesting. 👍

Supplemental question. 

Is there a difference between a .25 slug liner and a .25 pellet liner for an fac (UK) or is the fac issued for the caliber? 

I would have thought caliber.

Also I assume your more likely to get multiple calibers from a single action with multiple liners 'cos feo like less guns. Assuming you've use for the multiple calibers.