Torque screwdriver set

steve_b_wales

Never use one, I just hold small end of long Allen key in thumb and finger and give a little nip. Check scope won't twist and that's it.

You can buy them from around £60.00 but how accurate I don't know. A small torque wrench and bit adapter would do if it's in the same range. Also cheaper.

Link to.optics warehouse torque drivers page all prices.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/accessories/tools/torque-wrenches

Edited by figgy

1 minute ago, figgy said:

Never use one, I just hold small end of long Allen key in thumb and finger and give a little nip. Check scope won't twist and that's it.

You can buy them from around £60.00 but how accurate I don't know. A small torque wrench and bit adapter would do if it's in the same range. Also cheaper.

Thats the advice that @Gordon R gave me off here. Sound advice. :good:

3 hours ago, figgy said:

if you have thousands in a scope yes for warranty purposes £50 or 60 is worth it.

Just this: if I was an RFD, £120 for a decent torque screwdriver and £50 for an annual calibration is good insurance.  If you're buying high-value scopes, said RFD will happily mount it for you.  If, on the other hand, you're buying £70 specials for your airgun, give it a nip, make a 'click' noise and check it won't rotate.

16 hours ago, Dougy said:

I bought one because i had a space in my tool box. 

Im a bloke and i need as many tools as i have space for. And some. 

I am a tool whore.....there is NEVER enough space for the collection. I have most power tools in 240V 110V and cordless also. I have just sold a load of 1000V insulated T box spanners and wrenches to fund my new SxS so it hasn't "really" cost me anything 🤔👍

I found a thread on SD & bought 1 that was recommended on there it’s a Sealey Premier 1/4” hex drive digital 0.05-5nm like this - https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sealey-Sts103-5051747908369-Screwdriver-Torque-Digital-0.05-5Nm-1-4In-Hex-Drive?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-86yktay5wIVWeDtCh0iMw6dEAkYAyABEgIAivD_BwE

Edited by V8 90

I use a Wheeler 'Fat Wrench'. It measures from 10 to 65 inch/pounds, so takes the guesswork out of fitting scopes, tightening action screws etc etc.

I have tried to gauge various torques using an Allen key, and then comparing them to the Wheeler, and with a bit of practice it's possible to get a "close enough" torque value for the times when the Wheeler isn't available.

Not the cheapest of things, but it's not overly expensive either, and it definitely does what it says on the box.  :)

5 hours ago, V8 90 said:

I found a thread on SD & bought 1 that was recommended on there it’s a Sealey Premier 1/4” hex drive digital 0.05-5nm like this - https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sealey-Sts103-5051747908369-Screwdriver-Torque-Digital-0.05-5Nm-1-4In-Hex-Drive?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-86yktay5wIVWeDtCh0iMw6dEAkYAyABEgIAivD_BwE

That looks okay, but not sure if it comes with the 'bits'.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the Sealey one for years. I bought a cheap bit set from also about 10 years back, and in all fairness, these have done very very well. 

I don't bother setting up the beep and vibration anymore. Easier to just turn on the LCD. Turn the driver in the screw till you get just below the setting you want and move on to next screw, do this to all and then go back to the start and toque up to where you want.

Setting the beep is a pain in the bum. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, 

I was just going to ask the same  question but thought I would do a search first to see if the question had been asked / answered  

Found this one which goes up to 8Nm / 70 inch/lbs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-LAS56094-Torque-Screwdriver-Bicycles/dp/B00V5SCNCO/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=53FNMHCF3RDV2X7P1BX2

Burris recommendations between 5 and 6Nm for the base and around 2Nm for rings.

Ade

On 29/02/2020 at 13:35, Ade1971 said:

Hi Steve, 

I was just going to ask the same  question but thought I would do a search first to see if the question had been asked / answered  

Found this one which goes up to 8Nm / 70 inch/lbs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-LAS56094-Torque-Screwdriver-Bicycles/dp/B00V5SCNCO/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=53FNMHCF3RDV2X7P1BX2

Burris recommendations between 5 and 6Nm for the base and around 2Nm for rings.

Ade

Hi Ade. I bought a 'bicycle' one off a member on here, but haven't even looked at what it's like yet. The one you've mentioned looks to be okay for the job. 

Sportsman Gun Centre  are selling a 'Fatboy' set for around £85:00!!!

I use feeler gauges and clamp down the rings as you would a cylinder head or a four stud car wheel. So "criss cross" working outwards. I use first say a 40 thou gauge and clamp the rings down until ALL have a 40 thou gap, then use a 30 thou feeler gauge and repeat then a 20 thou gauge. I did have one of the Wheeler Engineering torque devices for "torx" screws but the tip I felt was soft metal. So I use the "finger tight" and feeler gauge method. FWIW at age sixty-two I've now only the one 'scoped stalking rifle so I doubt I'll ever need to set up a 'scope again.