Is a change as good as a rest

Gordon R

I have owned many guns - 70+, but have been shooting with a Salvinelli Monaco for about 8 years. It fits me like a glove and is very well balanced - probably the best gun I have ever shot with. 

In the mid 1980s to mid 1990s, I won shoots all over the North West and kicked a fair few big name backsides - Kevin Mayor, Jim Stafford, Colin Foden and a few more. As I got older, my eyesight did not improve and gradually I have regressed. In the last couple of years, my scores varied from a winning level to a barely shot before level. It has been driving me mad. I had developed a tendency to lift my head off the stock to get a better look. Before anyone says that the gun doesn't fit me - it does - I have shot to a high level with it. 

It recently got to the point where I was seriously considering packing it in - having shot competitively for the best part of 40 years. I considered using my other gun, but it was an identical Salvinelli, albeit with an adjustable stock. However, that would have changed little. I had a break for about 6 weeks, but still didn't feel enthusiastic.

I did a trade with button on here - got rid of the barely used adjustable stock model - and got an unused Browning 525 trap, which is still unused. Meanwhile, I bought a Remington 1100 off this Forum. It was cheap enough and I thought I had little to lose. It was sold as 28" 1/2 choke, but it lost a couple of inches on the trip over the Pennines. No idea what choke it has and don't really care. The stock was fitted with a curved, thin, butt plate. I removed it, sanded the end flat and made a thicker butt plate from wood - covered with fibreglass and sprayed black. Tried it out last week. Having not used an auto - except for a few shots with mates' guns - it was revelation. I could have stuffed the gun down my boot, put on a blindfold and and still had plenty of time to shoot. It felt like I had all the time in the world. My score was within 5 of the day's highest score.

More to the point, I only started to lift my head off the stock on one shot, with Chris telling me to keep my so and so head down. I will use it for a couple of weeks and then return to my over and under - hopefully being cured.

Amazing what a break in routine can do.

I do believe that you need to be hungry to do well.

That is very true. I used to be a bit intense and went mad if I missed - although I didn't miss much. As I entered less and less competitions, my scores dipped. There didn't seem to be much at stake. Although the prizes were modest - trophies, money, whisky or turkeys etc, I shot as if my life depended on it. That aspect has gone - for good, I suspect.

8 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I do believe that you need to be hungry to do well.

Not disagreeing that is the case much of the time. 

I am at best a rather 'average' shot - and not a serious 'competitive' shot.  I do have a good day now and again, but also have bad days not infrequently.  I find I sometimes do well on days when I'm not 'hungry' but relaxed and just out for a bit of 'quality time' with friends and like minded people.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Not disagreeing that is the case much of the time. 

I am at best a rather 'average' shot - and not a serious 'competitive' shot.  I do have a good day now and again, but also have bad days not infrequently.  I find I sometimes do well on days when I'm not 'hungry' but relaxed and just out for a bit of 'quality time' with friends and like minded people.

Ditto,

My buddy and I don’t take it seriously at all, it’s just a bit of a laugh and some chill out time away from work. We both have above average days and some absolutely shocking days. I had an amazing day the other week with a brand new Fabarm axis RS12 which I had just bought. I went down with my pal to show him exactly how “good” my scores were a couple of days later and couldn’t hit a barn door, still we had a laugh, at my expense.

Interesting read. Years of getting that repeat motion of mounting the gun, same place same time for thousands of times to be shooting at a high level and then for something to change. Swap to such a different gun and the smile comes and the spark of enjoyment back to your sport. Great to here your change paid dividends. 

Thanks for posting.