Hull Ultimate 20

I recently purchased a new 20 bore, today I patterned it with my typical load; RC sipe 28/5, and it laid some bad patterns, the sipe 6’s were better but still not great. 

I had a look at what else was on the market and saw the hull ultimate 20: 28gram 5.5(2.75mm) at 1450fps sounds like the perfect recipe and wondered if anyone had any experience? 

it’s a MK60 30” choked 1/4 and 1/2 for what that’s worth. 

8 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Just for a laugh try a few 24 gram 7s.

I’d love a denser pattern but all my shooting is walked up wild birds and I find I need 5s to do the job well when shooting them from behind

Edited by hutt

Cannot comment on those Hull Ultimate, but I use RC Sipe 28g fibre wad 6s in my 20g Macnab Highlander choked 1/4 & 1/2 and they pattern really well. The 28g load doesn't appear to blow the pattern and I get consistently clean kills.  Keep meaning to try 7s when decoying, so next slab will be 7s to see if there is any appreciable difference.

Roost shooting today, so will stick to the Sipe 6s. 

OB

10 hours ago, hutt said:

I’d love a denser pattern but all my shooting is walked up wild birds and I find I need 5s to do the job well when shooting them from behind

I am afraid that is only in your head sir.

A proper 20 bore load of 23/25 gram 7’s will kill adequately any walked up game in this country.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I am afraid that is only in your head sir.

A proper 20 bore load of 23/25 gram 7’s will kill adequately any walked up game in this country.

Perhaps! But regardless they come down more often for me with 5’s and I do the same thing. So empirical evidence suggests otherwise. Very few offerings than are 23/24g and 7. Black gold start at 30g... 

Edited by hutt

1 hour ago, hutt said:

Perhaps! But regardless they come down more often for me with 5’s and I do the same thing. So empirical evidence suggests otherwise. Very few offerings than are 23/24g and 7. Black gold start at 30g... 

You could try Express Supreme 25g. I'm new to 20 bore and have just gone all through this. They are smooth and pattern well. I do use the 7s but I can't see that apart from the pellet count  why there'd be much difference for 5s.

Have you tried RC sipes in 26gm? I use them in 7s, 6s and 5s as the season goes on, the 5s (U.K. 4.5) need slightly more choke to hold the pattern, they're definitely the sweet spot though My beretta 690. I've tried 28 and 30gm and didn't notice the difference at the receiving end other than More recoil. I have a 12 bore for 28gm plus loads anyway. 

The sipe 5s through 1/2 and 1/4 choke are pretty decisive. 

Edited by shalfordninja33

On 31/01/2020 at 22:22, hutt said:

I recently purchased a new 20 bore, today I patterned it with my typical load; RC sipe 28/5, and it laid some bad patterns, the sipe 6’s were better but still not great. 

I had a look at what else was on the market and saw the hull ultimate 20: 28gram 5.5(2.75mm) at 1450fps sounds like the perfect recipe and wondered if anyone had any experience? 

it’s a MK60 30” choked 1/4 and 1/2 for what that’s worth. 

Have you tried opening the chokes up? You may be surprised at what cylinder and 1/4 does through a 20 bore. 

4 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

Have you tried opening the chokes up? You may be surprised at what cylinder and 1/4 does through a 20 bore. 

Interesting. As said a few posts back just been playing with a 20 bore - a new calibre to me. What would you say is the difference between TC and 1/4 from a 20 and that from a 12?

31 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Interesting. As said a few posts back just been playing with a 20 bore - a new calibre to me. What would you say is the difference between TC and 1/4 from a 20 and that from a 12?

Wymberley, I’ve used cylinder and quarter with 26gm rc JK6 or sipe no7 for pretty much all my driven shooting this season,  verses the 12 I was using last year with 30gm no7 hull hp cylinder and quarter. The 20 has been either hit or miss, fewer runners which I’m happy about. Whilst I haven’t yet patterned the 20 I have the feeling that it throws a tighter pattern against the 12. 

The 12 is a briley  Mobil choked 686. The 20 a 690 with standard optima hp. 

I also have an al391 in 20 bore which I used on our walk about day this weekend, with 26gm no5 sipe through half choke everything in the pattern was stone dead. My feeling was the UK 4.5 shot size would need slightly more choke to keep the pattern together, it appeared to be very similar to my al391 12 with 32gm 5s through a 1/2choke.

Haven't used Ultimate nor RC in 28g but found Hull H.P.E., Express, to be good hard hitters.

Used Eley 30g VIP's last week and found them to no harder kicking than a 28g and again great knock down.

Having said that, mine weighs 6-1/4 lb so not a 'proper ' 20 bore.

Edited by Robertt