Cormorants: can we help?

Centrepin

I was for a number of years the de facto fisheries manager on a five mile stretch of the River Sense and we won an award presented by David belllamy on behalf of the Wild Trourt Trust back in 2007.  Our efforts where to transform the river so that it could sustain wild trout for the future and we where succeeding.  One winter we had a big freeze which saw local lakes and pools frozen over.  The EA used to electro fish selected stretches for us each year as the river supported large numbers of quality dace, roach and chub. These where moved down stream to stretches course fishing stretches on the Anchor.  The electyro fishing team worked a 600 yrd stretch and only retrieved about a dozen fish mostly trout which where returned.  The farmer told me that the river had been inundated with large black birds for about a week previous and from the description they where cormorants. They had wiped out all but a few trout on a 600 trd stretch of river.    YES, they should go back on the vermin list without doubt, but don't hold your breath because as per another thread I put on here about hedgehogs the woofly duffly authorities cannot see an enormous elephant in the room or don't want to.

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I was for a number of years the de facto fisheries manager on a five mile stretch of the River Sense and we won an award presented by David belllamy on behalf of the Wild Trourt Trust back in 2007.  Our efforts where to transform the river so that it could sustain wild trout for the future and we where succeeding.  One winter we had a big freeze which saw local lakes and pools frozen over.  The EA used to electro fish selected stretches for us each year as the river supported large numbers of quality dace, roach and chub. These where moved down stream to stretches course fishing stretches on the Anchor.  The electyro fishing team worked a 600 yrd stretch and only retrieved about a dozen fish mostly trout which where returned.  The farmer told me that the river had been inundated with large black birds for about a week previous and from the description they where cormorants. They had wiped out all but a few trout on a 600 trd stretch of river.    YES, they should go back on the vermin list without doubt, but don't hold your breath because as per another thread I put on here about hedgehogs the woofly duffly authorities cannot see an enormous elephant in the room or don't want to.

No they wont go on the GL  packam et al will crowd fund against it,  we have had a hedgehog problem here as they are taking ground nesting birds and eggs [we even shipped them back to the mainland from where they were introduced] we dont have badgers and few roads. David Bellamy was the main man but disagreed with people and was ousted............  A  guardian! piece about Mr Bellamy

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/12/david-bellamy-farewell-to-the-man-who-could-have-stolen-attenboroughs-crown

Its quite simple really, declare a fish crisis, refuse to eat all types of fish, blame the lack of fish for rainforest deforestation and polar bears , connect fish eating to global warming and flu, instigate a go fund me collection to make the predators of fish only eat a plant based diet,... drive a electric car and re-use plastic bags when buying exotic vegetables... oh yes,  befriend a transexual [or whatever they are called at the minute ]  

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/02/2020 at 19:56, islandgun said:

Its quite simple really, declare a fish crisis, refuse to eat all types of fish, blame the lack of fish for rainforest deforestation and polar bears , connect fish eating to global warming and flu, instigate a go fund me collection to make the predators of fish only eat a plant based diet,... drive a electric car and re-use plastic bags when buying exotic vegetables... oh yes,  befriend a transexual [or whatever they are called at the minute ]  

hell spot on         durex is the best advert I can think  for the next few years      sorry      (some people should not breed )    common sense and  a work ethic   work  it out for yourself     dooooh      what sap   face book muppets are 10 a penny      no brain  click the thumbs  up  or  down      I  don't care       being productive wins in my book    common sense is not common anymore    hell without an I phone they cant breath  for themselves    thick as   dodo poop

Edited by Saltings