Roost shooting 2020

adzyvilla

Made a start this afternoon. No one else out on the estate, being the last day of the pheasant season, but being Billy no mates without an invitation, I just had to get out on the pigeons instead. 

With the keepers blessing, the old man and I headed out in high South westerly winds but bright conditions just before 3. Our destination was a wood on the far side of the estate, not our usual loitering place, but somewhere that hadn't been disturbed for a few weeks (or so we thought) 

When we arrived, we were greeted by the farm manager flailing the maize strip that runs away from the wood into the valley, lots of pigeons lifted off as we parked up, and we quickly split up and took position at opposite ends of the long thin wood, father on the windward side in amongst the conifers and closest to the newly flailed maize, me on the sheltered side under some mixed deciduous, mostly poplar and oak. The foresters had been in before the season started last year and removed some  timber for the boiler at the big house, leaving a few new gaps in the canopy to exploit. 

Early on there was a flurry of activity as I downed one with my first shot, and father blamming away kept what was about moving. I missed my next two, and set the dog (on her first pigeon shooting foray) off to find my prize. Quick retrieve accomplished, I settled in for a long wait until firing my next shot. Now, my dog is a good beating hound, steady and obedient, and has been picking up with me on occasion this year, but has not been the happiest when it comes to loud bangs. Patient work over the summer has resulted in a dog that can bear to be around me when I pull the trigger, but I leave her some yards away when I am out, which seems to be working out OK so far. Aside from a silly moment when she slinked up behind me and jumped up nearly knocking me over, I couldn't really complain, and I quickly put her back into her hiding place. 

Possibly 45 minutes elapsed before dad started firing again, which prompted me to look skywards, seeing a dozen or so bird pass to the south out of range, but they eventually circled and fighting into the wind passed overhead into my shot string and another was in the bag, albeit in a mangled fashion, falling at my feet it didn't even warrant the dogs attention. When there were birds about, they didn't seem to be flying in any particular direction and in this unfamiliar and large wood we were facing an uphill battle to keep the birds moving, particularly with the neighbouring woods all unoccupied. 

Darkening skies heralded the end to an all to brief foray. I did manage one more, spied resting in a sitty tree, and oblivious to my approach as I made my way back to the car. 3 birds for 7 shots was a relief considering the abysmal show I'd put on at the recent cock day, and I thanked the shooting gods for not abandoning me. 

Father managed a pair for 8 shots, and he was in the teeth of the gale, so kudos to him. Next week should be better, back in my familiar wood, with hopefully a few more chums out and about to keep the birds stirred up. I will take the dog again and hopefully she will learn to tolerate the banging a bit more. 

A good read and THANKS for sharing , we put off the first week of roost shooting till next Saturday and then most of the woods will be occupied , our policy might be a bit different from yours , to begin with , unless the dog is known we don't allow dogs when roost shooting as there are a lot of sheep out in the fields and a lot different deer species that roam about the woods , we have also brought in a fibre wad only rule , guns to be sleeved from parking your motor until entering your allocated wood , Jays , Magpie and Squirrel's can be shot along with Pigeons , all rubbish to be taken home , only to go in the wood that is on your permit and not to take anyone else along with a gun .

These rules might seem a bit harsh , but all these problems have happened in the past and any body breaching the rules will never be allowed shooting on the estate in the future .

What rules and regulations do you , or anyone else have ?

37 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A good read and THANKS for sharing , we put off the first week of roost shooting till next Saturday and then most of the woods will be occupied , our policy might be a bit different from yours , to begin with , unless the dog is known we don't allow dogs when roost shooting as there are a lot of sheep out in the fields and a lot different deer species that roam about the woods , we have also brought in a fibre wad only rule , guns to be sleeved from parking your motor until entering your allocated wood , Jays , Magpie and Squirrel's can be shot along with Pigeons , all rubbish to be taken home , only to go in the wood that is on your permit and not to take anyone else along with a gun .

These rules might seem a bit harsh , but all these problems have happened in the past and any body breaching the rules will never be allowed shooting on the estate in the future .

What rules and regulations do you , or anyone else have ?

I fully understand why you and your fellow shooters have these rules. It's not as strict where we are, although out of respect to the landowner and his keeper, and in the interests of safety, I hope we would all be as vigilant. As several public rights of way run through, people and dogs are often found in the strangest of places, so we are all mindful that we might be under surveillance at any time. Luckily for me, the keeper and I are very good friends and he has known me and my father long enough to know we are both safe and responsible shots. My father has known the landowner and his family for decades and we have both worked on and off for him, so we are familiar faces on the estate. All the others who come out on a Saturday afternoon are likewise known and trusted. But that trust was not easily won, and I would never do anything to jeopardise it. 

5 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

i shoot on farms that dont have keepers, so as soon as the season is over, im in there and roost shoot till july if i want.no rules plastic carts if i want.

I only have one farm permission other than the (albeit large) estate, but I wouldn't treat it any differently. I am very lucky, but I have put in lots of hard work over the years to get them, and I won't give them up easily. A lot of the shoots I beat on over the season offer feb/March roost shooting to regulars, I guess we are lucky boys and girls. 

Thank you for sharing the details of your afternoon. A good report.

I never had the pleasure of ever shooting with my Dad but that's got to be the ultimate joy that there can be.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy