Pigeons being pigeons

Clodhopper

Yesterday morning JTaylor91, JDog and I met up, full of excitement at the prospect of decoying on some recent drillings. The field in question is on a regular flight line between 2 woods which are a mile or so apart. On arrival at the field it became apparent that there was only one place we could set up as this was the only place offering some degree of shelter from the rather strong wind. Around 500 birds were feeding on the drilling and the line in was not too far from our chosen position so we were hopeful. A pattern of 30 half shells, one magnet and one flapper set the scene. A couple decoyed but many did not and after an hour it soon became apparent that this was not going to work . 

We upped sticks, said goodbye to JTaylor91 who only had a limited time out, and headed off to a farm with a large acreage of rape. We knew from previous visits that there would be birds there but could we get on them? 

Again the main line  was heading out over the top of the hill which was far too exposed in the wind but  we thought we could get close enough to pull a few. Now this area has lot of pigeons, we saw in the region of one thousand birds during the afternoon. Some did come to the decoys/ spinney we were set up and we managed to get a few down as well but the main bulk of the birds disappeared on a strong line to another part of the farm. This was obviously not going to work either. The place we needed to be was right on top of the hill where there was no natural cover and a hide would not stand a cat in hells chance of staying upright in the blustery conditions.  

JDogs lovely little dog Barney did a great job of picking the few we had managed to get down which is very pleasing after the rather troublesome start he had to life.

I parted ways with JDog at around 15.00 and headed off to a small fir plantation to try for some roosting birds. Finally the birds came in where I could get under them. They were battling into the wind in large packs, 8 feet off the ground and rising up as the reached they shelter of the wood. After the first couple of birds it became apparent that using the second barrel was pointless as the birds turned on the  wind and were out of range before I could get onto another. Finishing with 8 from the roost and a total of 23 for the day it was not the biggest day ever but we had shot some good birds and more importantly been out enjoying the day.

Thanks for reading.

It was a pity that I couldn’t get JTaylor91 a few more shots. Those drillings looked promising. There will be another day.

The second venue had an awful lot of pigeons. Next time we go I will need a couple more guns to cover other flight lines. Watch this space for opportunities.

As Ditchy said, an excellent write up. Thanks for sharing. It does however prove that there are still plenty of birds about, albeit all apparently in Lincolnshire !

I admire your perseverance in changing venues which worked to a degree. What's that phrase -: ' Better an hour in the right place than six in the wrong one'. 

Still too wet hereabouts for drilling so perhaps when the wind eases your drilling may still produce before the spilled grain is gleaned off. Always a short window as we all know.

Thanks again for posting, but please send some in a Southerly direction.

OB

21 minutes ago, ditchman said:

excellent write up........im surprised its dry enough to get the drill out .....ground is still soaked down here...

It was Wold land that was drilled, very little soil, lots of Chalk and Flint.  I drove across in stubble next to it in my van, JDog promised I wouldn’t get stuck!! I have seen drilling down on the marsh this week. Looked to have gone fairly well.

13 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

The main aim of the day was to return JDog home to his wife  in one piece. Which I think was achieved. And despite his current dip in form health wise his form with his scatter gun is still unaffected.😄

i would think his dear lady is very happy with both your efforts.......i have heard of recent , having not being able to get out ...he has been like a moros caged wild animal...a tightly wound high strenght coiled spring..............:lol:

49 minutes ago, JDog said:

It was a pity that I couldn’t get JTaylor91 a few more shots. Those drillings looked promising. There will be another day.

The second venue had an awful lot of pigeons. Next time we go I will need a couple more guns to cover other flight lines. Watch this space for opportunities.

I’m not sure if I have to fill in some form now to go out with you again due to Brexit and my questionable citizenship.

Well done for getting out boys, sorry I couldn't join you. We now have some fairly big bunches of pigeons on drillings but they seem very twitchy and more like a flock of starlings, just driving the car into the gateway is enough to shift them and they don't return very convincingly. I am out on some rape this afternoon, I don't expect a big bag but it will get me out and keep the farmer happy!

3 minutes ago, aga man said:

Well done for getting out boys, sorry I couldn't join you. We now have some fairly big bunches of pigeons on drillings but they seem very twitchy and more like a flock of starlings, just driving the car into the gateway is enough to shift them and they don't return very convincingly. I am out on some rape this afternoon, I don't expect a big bag but it will get me out and keep the farmer happy!

After reading reports from other areas I think we are very lucky to have a few birds to look at. I don’t believe we have had the numbers in our area that we have had of the previous 2 winters though. This may be also be that I do not ave the time to look that I used too!  Best of look this afternoon.

Very detailed write up and a pleasure to read it Clodhopper , the last two days we were out were the driest it had been for ages and a lot easier getting about than the previous week , sadly it wasn't meant to last as we have had heavy rain overnight and still very overcast .

We are all looking forward to our first week's roost this coming Saturday , I will visit my allocated wooded area as there are still some stubble fields from last year to see if it worth putting some coys out while waiting for the pigeons to come back to the woods , what I have seen lately , I am convinced it certainly wont be one of the vintage years . GOOD LUCK fellow pigeons who are also out for the first week .

On 02/02/2020 at 12:59, mossy835 said:

im off to a big wood on saturday, hope there are birds there if not it wont bother  me its getting out not big numbers.

Spot on Mossy835. Getting out there is the priority.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy