one goose limit

simcgunner

Nice picture! That looks a small Canada? They weigh up to 15/16 lbs over here! They breed very successfully in the UK....so much so that they are, as Walker570 said....considered a pest!

But at 15lbs, at my age I wouldn’t want to carry more than one, a mile back to the car! Lol!

There are thousands of resident Canada's here at every borrow pit golf course, pond and large puddle that do not Migrate. They leave an awful mess. The one bird limit applies to Migrating Geese in the flyway. The gun is a Ithaca Magnum 10 bore the first gun chambered for winchesters 3.5 inch magnum round. Hand loaded with Bismuth shot.

5 minutes ago, simcgunner said:

There are thousands of resident Canada's here at every borrow pit golf course, pond and large puddle that do not Migrate. They leave an awful mess. The one bird limit applies to Migrating Geese in the flyway. The gun is a Ithaca Magnum 10 bore the first gun chambered for winchesters 3.5 inch magnum round. Hand loaded with Bismuth shot.

Yep ours are resident! Can you shoot more than one of the residents.....if you can’t, I can see you being over run with the things in short order!

We have the same problem with them here the greater Canada used to be the birds that did not Migrate. The lessor Canadas used to always fly north in the summertime. now we are plagued with them everywhere shopping center fountains and any greenspace. have birds year round. My work took me to many shipyards and if you sat outside in nice weather to have some lunch the geese would beg and try to steal your meal from you

we have a generous resident goose limit but the problem is they have settled in amung us and no shooting allowed areas. airports, hospital helipads golf courses have to hire herding dogs to keep the landing zones clear. It is Illegal to rally or scare waterfowl up for shooting. Some outfitter was caught rallying birds off fields with a small plane and got a very hefty fine in federal court.  maybe a good job for a drone?

15 hours ago, simcgunner said:

we have a generous resident goose limit but the problem is they have settled in amung us and no shooting allowed areas. airports, hospital helipads golf courses have to hire herding dogs to keep the landing zones clear. It is Illegal to rally or scare waterfowl up for shooting. Some outfitter was caught rallying birds off fields with a small plane and got a very hefty fine in federal court.  maybe a good job for a drone?

Goose shooting around the airport here is controlled, as its considered dangerous 

Canada's are my least favourite goose , I vowed many year ago I wouldn't shoot any more after I shot two that must have been the biggest two Canada geese in not only Norfolk but in East Anglia , my knee was playing up at the time plus it was snowing hard on this particular day , my mate should have came down to the river in his 4 x 4 but for some reason he didn't come , when I shot these two geese I was about the furthest point away from my motor , the Labrador I had then was huge and even he had a job bringing them back from the reed bed , anyhow , when he got the first one back I could see why he struggled , it was easily as big as a Swan , then when I gave him a hand with the second one I knew I had a job on my hands , still as far as I can remember I got them both back and that was when I decided enough was enough .

I Kept my self imposed promise till my last night of inland wild fowling which was last Thursday , I was asked by a chap I know if I could get him a goose as he wanted one to chop up for a game casserole he was putting on for a beaters night meal , I did have a Pink in the freezer but I was going to have that for myself and a lot of the Pinks had already left to fly north .

On the last night I didn't really expect any geese to be about on the marshes I was on , the night itself was fairly mild with a nice bit of cloud cover , I only saw the odd duck cutting about and I had a couple of shots at duck that were three foot in front of my shot and at very last light I did manage to drop a Wigeon which ended up my last duck of the season , as it was a nice night to see in the town lights I hung on a bit for any late arrivals , sitting on my fold up seat I was beginning to day dream when out of nowhere a dozen or so large black shapes were swinging over the water , dead in front was the nearest they were going to be and with only 32gm duck shells in the gun this was when I took the shot , I am not really sure what one I got as in a split second they were in the darkness but one was left thrashing about in the water and Bobbie my dog was doing his best to find to pick it up , in the end with it still being alive he dragged it rather than lifting up , at first I thought it was a Greylag but with failing eyesight in darkness it turned out to be a rather large Canada Goose , if anyone had tried to ring the neck on a big ole goose they will know what it is like , bloody hard work 

Anyhow the night flight by now was well and truly over , all I had to do was to get back to my motor that was a good half a mile away, I put the fold up stool over my head and shoulder , the gun under my arm and the goose and duck hanging down my back , when I finally got back home my wife had thought I had done a murder as I had blood all the over the front of my coat and where my hand had been holding the goose on top of my shoulder the blood had soaked the cuff of my shirt , still my man got his goose and I have re vowed I am not going to shoot another one , as you can see it is rather a large one .

SAM-9743.jpg

In uk we have Canada Geese.... I seem to remember that in Canada they used to have various sub species of Canada and when they changed it to only two, the headlines were that ? number of  breeds were now extinct!.... one way of putting it!

some [people do not like the taste of Canadas but I love them... goose jerky or pulled goose curry or casseroles

Edited by nic

On 03/02/2020 at 20:39, marsh man said:

Canada's are my least favourite goose , I vowed many year ago I wouldn't shoot any more after I shot two that must have been the biggest two Canada geese in not only Norfolk but in East Anglia , my knee was playing up at the time plus it was snowing hard on this particular day , my mate should have came down to the river in his 4 x 4 but for some reason he didn't come , when I shot these two geese I was about the furthest point away from my motor , the Labrador I had then was huge and even he had a job bringing them back from the reed bed , anyhow , when he got the first one back I could see why he struggled , it was easily as big as a Swan , then when I gave him a hand with the second one I knew I had a job on my hands , still as far as I can remember I got them both back and that was when I decided enough was enough .

I Kept my self imposed promise till my last night of inland wild fowling which was last Thursday , I was asked by a chap I know if I could get him a goose as he wanted one to chop up for a game casserole he was putting on for a beaters night meal , I did have a Pink in the freezer but I was going to have that for myself and a lot of the Pinks had already left to fly north .

On the last night I didn't really expect any geese to be about on the marshes I was on , the night itself was fairly mild with a nice bit of cloud cover , I only saw the odd duck cutting about and I had a couple of shots at duck that were three foot in front of my shot and at very last light I did manage to drop a Wigeon which ended up my last duck of the season , as it was a nice night to see in the town lights I hung on a bit for any late arrivals , sitting on my fold up seat I was beginning to day dream when out of nowhere a dozen or so large black shapes were swinging over the water , dead in front was the nearest they were going to be and with only 32gm duck shells in the gun this was when I took the shot , I am not really sure what one I got as in a split second they were in the darkness but one was left thrashing about in the water and Bobbie my dog was doing his best to find to pick it up , in the end with it still being alive he dragged it rather than lifting up , at first I thought it was a Greylag but with failing eyesight in darkness it turned out to be a rather large Canada Goose , if anyone had tried to ring the neck on a big ole goose they will know what it is like , bloody hard work 

Anyhow the night flight by now was well and truly over , all I had to do was to get back to my motor that was a good half a mile away, I put the fold up stool over my head and shoulder , the gun under my arm and the goose and duck hanging down my back , when I finally got back home my wife had thought I had done a murder as I had blood all the over the front of my coat and where my hand had been holding the goose on top of my shoulder the blood had soaked the cuff of my shirt , still my man got his goose and I have re vowed I am not going to shoot another one , as you can see it is rather a large one .

SAM-9743.jpg

Good report and great picture of the big boy! 

On 03/02/2020 at 20:39, marsh man said:

SAM-9743.jpg

Jeez thats a monster ! Funny how the small loads will bring em down at sensible ranges, Ive only brought two greylags home and they began to drag after a bit !

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Jeez thats a monster ! Funny how the small loads will bring em down at sensible ranges, Ive only brought two greylags home and they began to drag after a bit !

Before Canada's was put on GL i shot a lot where they actually got up 40yrd + deceptive and very testing shooting even more so under the moon. When in was flooded they made a tremendous noise when dropped from 40yrd up into water with a fountain spaying upseveral feet believe it or not most was shot using my 20ga ( lead days ) good memories of fond time's

27 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Good report and great picture of the big boy! 

THANKS Walked Up

19 minutes ago, islandgun said:

THANKS islandgun ....... I once witnessed an oldish bloke standing on his peg shooting driven Partridges when a skein of Canada's got off the stubble's and came towards the guns , I would say they were 25/30 yds up , when they were above him he took two out as clean as a whistle , I can't remember what gauge his gun was but it was smaller than a 12 , either a 20 bore or a 28 .

Like the phrase 6.5x55SE ( Boyd ) always use , if you are going to shoot geese you need to nut them , not a nice saying but I know exactly what he mean , if I am going to miss ( which now I often do ) then miss in front , you will hardly ever kill a goose by missing behind .

20 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Before Canada's was put on GL i shot a lot where they actually got up 40yrd + deceptive and very testing shooting even more so under the moon. When in was flooded they made a tremendous noise when dropped from 40yrd up into water with a fountain spaying upseveral feet believe it or not most was shot using my 20ga ( lead days ) good memories of fond time's

Evening Boyd ...... Hope you have a good season , and you have still got a few more days to top your freezer up .

The shoot I used to hire had at times 100s of Canada's that came off the lake and the nearby Broads , one Saturday afternoon I was shooting pigeons in the middle of a stubble field when a small party of Canada's ( possibly a family party ) came head on towards me , I dropped two and one of them was a walking wounded and started to flap about , the rest of the party had no more to do than turn around and came straight back with there paddles down with the intention of landing , in those long off days I was a bit more hungry and took two more out , I could drive my motor across the stubble so getting them back wasn't a problem , but looking at the four dead geese I thought how daft at times they can be and I think after that I lost some of the appeal in shooting Canada geese .

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I dropped two and one of them was a walking wounded and started to flap about , the rest of the party had no more to do than turn around and came straight back with there paddles down with the intention of landing , in those long off days I was a bit more hungry and took two more out , I could drive my motor across the stubble so getting them back wasn't a problem , but looking at the four dead geese I thought how daft at times they can be and I think after that I lost some of the appeal in shooting Canada geese .

I went out to ‘right’ a load of upturned shot wood pigeon and sent the dogs for runners, we were stood out in the open with pigeons trying to land in the pattern and they actually seemed annoyed that I was in their way  (the same birds a few weeks earlier would spot me 200m away and depart with haste). Was frustrated that I had left the gun in the hide, then a sparrow hawk burst over my shoulder and smashed onto a winged pigeon flapping 5 yards ahead of me as I walked to pick it. I should have let it have the bird but my reaction was to clap it away. Another time I shot a magpie dead with a 12 bore and its friend instantly came to chatter at it so it got the second barrel. Sometimes even the sharpest animals make the daftest decisions.

Edited by WalkedUp

29 minutes ago, marsh man said:

THANKS Walked Up

THANKS islandgun ....... I once witnessed an oldish bloke standing on his peg shooting driven Partridges when a skein of Canada's got off the stubble's and came towards the guns , I would say they were 25/30 yds up , when they were above him he took two out as clean as a whistle , I can't remember what gauge his gun was but it was smaller than a 12 , either a 20 bore or a 28 .

Like the phrase 6.5x55SE ( Boyd ) always use , if you are going to shoot geese you need to nut them , not a nice saying but I know exactly what he mean , if I am going to miss ( which now I often do ) then miss in front , you will hardly ever kill a goose by missing behind .

Evening Boyd ...... Hope you have a good season , and you have still got a few more days to top your freezer up .

The shoot I used to hire had at times 100s of Canada's that came off the lake and the nearby Broads , one Saturday afternoon I was shooting pigeons in the middle of a stubble field when a small party of Canada's ( possibly a family party ) came head on towards me , I dropped two and one of them was a walking wounded and started to flap about , the rest of the party had no more to do than turn around and came straight back with there paddles down with the intention of landing , in those long off days I was a bit more hungry and took two more out , I could drive my motor across the stubble so getting them back wasn't a problem , but looking at the four dead geese I thought how daft at times they can be and I think after that I lost some of the appeal in shooting Canada geese .

Good evening John hope you're season was a success. Myself still chasing the Geese infact age and moon has taken its toll of late but a well " Nutted " Goose under the moon help's relieve the aches pain and tiredness 😂 of late my old AYA No3 Magnum has been " nutting em " very nicely 👍