AYA 25 with about true cylinder borings

JonathanS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1975 I bought a cheap Spanish BL Ejector. After about 8 weeks I had the silly half/full chokes taken out to true cyl/quarter. I have never looked back. That gun has killed literally thousands of head, ranging from snipe to geese at all sorts of ranges. My advice is ignore the naysayers, forget all about chokes and just shoot with it. You will probably be amazed.

Edited by London Best

On 03/02/2020 at 13:59, London Best said:

In 1975 I bought a cheap Spanish BL Ejector. After about 8 weeks I had the silly half/full chokes taken out to true cyl/quarter. I have never looked back. That gun has killed literally thousands of head, ranging from snipe to geese at all sorts of ranges. My advice is ignore the naysayers, forget all about chokes and just shoot with it. You will probably be amazed.

The OP clearly says that he is looking for advice as to the effectiveness of the TC choked barrels. Until such time as these have been patterned, we can only assume that they shoot as nominally bored. Accepting that, what cartridge load do you think he should he select  and what maximum range could he achieve with it for one of the species he mentions - pigeon? Back along we were told that for 1&1/16oz of 6s IC was good for 45 yards and based on that TC should be good for a tad under the 40 with that load or a tad again just under the 45 with 1oz of 7s. Currently, it is suggested that with the TC somewhat under 30 yards and similarly under 35 for those loads respectively is a  more accurate assessment. Even Major Coats was using IC and 1/2 way before the current train of thought was introduced.

On 03/02/2020 at 08:24, Gunman said:

Buy it , shoot it and find a cartridge that suits for each type of shooting you are doing ,ie adjusting the load to the target.

Have said it before and will say it again , there is so much rubbish talked about chokes , that people no longer think they can hit a barn door at 10 paces without 6 different chokes  .

Its all in the mind .So if the gun fits you , you like it and have confidence in your self , you will hit what you aim at . If you dont have this then take up another hobby .

100% correct  and if you don't then tell me where your friend lives and I will be on my way with the readies.

18 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Gunman summed it up. I shoot a number of antique guns with cylinder boring and they certainly kill game with the right cartridge. I had a xxv box lock that bulged twice at the choke which were cut too steeply. I had that barrel bored to cylinder and it shot fine.

Yep, agreed. I took it that in asking for advice that an idea of potential range would have been appreciated. Surely, no one disagrees that choke can have an advantage - just not as much as is often portrayed perhaps. If that is deemed to be the case then the OP will be restricting his capability below a level he may have wished for should he leave the gun as it is unless of course TC or thereabouts is sufficient for his needs and the gun's full potential is not required.

I have yet to meet the man who can tell the difference between forty yards and forty five yards to a bird in the air. That said, I believe a bird is either on for a shot, or not, irrespective of what choke may or may not be in your barrels. For pity’s sake, stop fretting over theoretical patterns and ranges and get out and do some shooting.

59 minutes ago, London Best said:

For pity’s sake, stop fretting over theoretical patterns and ranges and get out and do some shooting.

This /\

I have a number of guns - mostly fairly 'vintage'.  I cannot remember what chokes are in them exactly other than none are greater than half - nor do I care.  At all 'normal' ranges and for an average shot - it really isn't that important.

If you are a really top notch shot - and shooting clays at a high competitive level - choke may matter to you - but it is very unlikely you would be shooting a short barrelled s/s when shooting clays competitions.

My AyA s/s does me well - and I don't concern myself about the chokes (can't remember what they are).  They are what they are and it performs better than my marksmanship at all ranges I am likely to shoot at.

Edited by JohnfromUK

On 03/02/2020 at 08:24, Gunman said:

Buy it , shoot it and find a cartridge that suits for each type of shooting you are doing ,ie adjusting the load to the target.

Have said it before and will say it again , there is so much rubbish talked about chokes , that people no longer think they can hit a barn door at 10 paces without 6 different chokes  .

Its all in the mind .So if the gun fits you , you like it and have confidence in your self , you will hit what you aim at . If you dont have this then take up another hobby .

Spot on post 

harnser

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I have yet to meet the man who can tell the difference between forty yards and forty five yards to a bird in the air. That said, I believe a bird is either on for a shot, or not, irrespective of what choke may or may not be in your barrels. For pity’s sake, stop fretting over theoretical patterns and ranges and get out and do some shooting.

Yay, top advice.

Lead in the air, only way to learn.

Can't help but feel somewhat sorry for the OP who perhaps wisely seems to have disappeared for the moment. Decisions, decisions - who does he go with? The gospel according to Sir Gerald, Eley, the post NTS trials both here and in the States, BASC (which is a combination of both of the previous) or the Fourth Estate (PW).

:lol:

39 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Can't help but feel somewhat sorry for the OP

The original question was "Is it possible to get the gun choked or will it be ok for the aforementioned activities?" and is in two parts;

I think part one has been answered in that - Yes - you could get it choked such as by Teague, or possibly by other boring, but it might be costly for what is an inexpensive gun.

Part two has been answered in that - Yes - it will be OK; not perhaps ideal for everything, but fine for the OP's intended use, especially if the cartridge is selected to suit.  The general consensus is not to get unduly worried over having a particular choke/chokes for 'general purpose' use.

11 minutes ago, JonathanS said:

All, thank you for the advice! Much appreciated. Will keep the gun and play around with it to see what works.

Thanks again.

Good man … a bit of what you fancy does you good!!

Whilst I do advocate a patterning a gun/cartridge combo to ensure you're going to be happy at the ranges you want to shoot, I get really lost when folks start to get hormonal about the 'central 20" '  … as no-one is that accurate, and many more birds are likely to get killed by the outer pellets !!

43 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Good man … a bit of what you fancy does you good!!

Whilst I do advocate a patterning a gun/cartridge combo to ensure you're going to be happy at the ranges you want to shoot, I get really lost when folks start to get hormonal about the 'central 20" '  … as no-one is that accurate, and many more birds are likely to get killed by the outer pellets !!

I'll go hormonal and suggest that 'hit' is more applicable than "killed". But on second thoughts I won't as TC is the only choke where that doesn't apply.

I personally like a bit of choke, these days. I think many worry that they won't be able to hit things when equipped with tight chokes. This shouldn't be the case.

I wouldn't want a gun with cylinder chokes. It wouldn't be versatile enough for me.

52 minutes ago, motty said:

I wouldn't want a gun with cylinder chokes.

I have an old hammer gun, true cyl both (Damascus) barrels - and at 'normal' ranges it is a very good clay breaker.  Some years ago, a friend (I'm not good enough) shot a 24/25  on DTL(!) with it with 1oz fibre loads - there really can't be much wrong with the patterns to do that.

I have heard that true cylinder is rather more cartridge dependant than a bit of choke, but how true that is, I can't say for certain.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have an old hammer gun, true cyl both (Damascus) barrels - and at 'normal' ranges it is a very good clay breaker.  Some years ago, a friend (I'm not good enough) shot a 24/25  on DTL(!) with it with 1oz fibre loads - there really can't be much wrong with the patterns to do that.

I have heard that true cylinder is rather more cartridge dependant than a bit of choke, but how true that is, I can't say for certain.

if you are using plasi wad....it will tighten the choke up anyway

18 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have straighted DTL with half choke, but wouldn't want to go less than that, really. Cylinder would be fine if you get on them really quick, though the breaks may not be convincing. A long second barrel might also be tricky.