AYA 25 with about true cylinder borings

JonathanS

21 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

This /\

I have a number of guns - mostly fairly 'vintage'.  I cannot remember what chokes are in them exactly other than none are greater than half - nor do I care.  At all 'normal' ranges and for an average shot - it really isn't that important.

If you are a really top notch shot - and shooting clays at a high competitive level - choke may matter to you - but it is very unlikely you would be shooting a short barrelled s/s when shooting clays competitions.

My AyA s/s does me well - and I don't concern myself about the chokes (can't remember what they are).  They are what they are and it performs better than my marksmanship at all ranges I am likely to shoot at.

A man from my own heart , all my guns ( 6 ) are with whatever chokes they came in , I have never been to concerned with the choke when I have been to inspect it when it was offered for sale.

From 1/4 to 1/2 in the right barrel would be my choice and 3/4 to full in the left , looking back , one of my guns I shot well with was a Midland Gun Company , 32 inch barrels , full and full with three inch chambers , shot it all the year round on pigeon , game and wildfowl and never gave the weight , barrel length and choke a second thought . 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you will struggle on a testing sporting clays layout with true cylinder.

Correct for other than maybe Skeet. Although the best well set sporting clays layout IMHO will have every bid killable by a good shot with a gun bored no more than improved cylinder. 

But I'd ask the OP how was the choke measured? By a proper adjustable measuring rod inserted from the breech to give relative difference between the choke and the bore? Or by these brass key ring things that go in from the muzzle? FWIW all my game guns for the last thirty plus years I have mostly always had bored IMP and IMP in BOTH barrels. 

11 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Correct for other than maybe Skeet. Although the best well set sporting clays layout IMHO will have every bid killable by a good shot with a gun bored no more than improved cylinder. 

But I'd ask the OP how was the choke measured? By a proper adjustable measuring rod inserted from the breech to give relative difference between the choke and the bore? Or by these brass key ring things that go in from the muzzle? FWIW all my game guns for the last thirty plus years I have mostly always had bored IMP and IMP in BOTH barrels. 

Do you not shoot Registered ESP then?

I shoot, yes, on a Registered ESP only for "birds only" and only a Grange Farm near Desford. Every bird is killable there, by a good shot, with an improved cylinder and appropriate shot size. I am sure that choke would break the bird more obviously (into more bits) but every bird I've seen and shot at there is hittable and killable with an improved cylinder choke. IMHO a good sporting layout isn't about making the bird difficult to hit by sending it at extreme distance it's about sending the bird so that a subtle use of size and profile of the clay target mixed with a clever use speed and flight trajectory makes it difficult to hit by deceiving the shoooter into a false aim.

Edited by enfieldspares

On 03/02/2020 at 08:24, Gunman said:

Buy it , shoot it and find a cartridge that suits for each type of shooting you are doing ,ie adjusting the load to the target.

Have said it before and will say it again , there is so much rubbish talked about chokes , that people no longer think they can hit a barn door at 10 paces without 6 different chokes  .

Its all in the mind .So if the gun fits you , you like it and have confidence in your self , you will hit what you aim at . If you dont have this then take up another hobby .

Yes spot on I have an aya 25 choked 1/4 1/2 clays or driven days there is not much that can't be hit apart from really high birds or clays. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Modafinale said:

Has anyone shot a AYA 25 ? 
I have and they kick and the second shot is usually high, 32 gram cartridges will be like torture especially if you shoot 100 birds.

nice looking gun but I would not want one

I’ve shot plenty through mine 
dare I ask why you would consider putting 32 grams through a light game gun? 
espescialy at a clay ground where the limit would be 28  any gun that doesn’t fit will kick and as you would remount your gun between shots why would it be high on the second shot 

all the best 

of