Which quad? - help please.

Big Al

I'm thinking of buying a second hand farm quad to haul firewood out of fields, help feed on the shoot and around the farm.

Ideally I'd like a 4x4 with a bit of grunt but want to keep the price around 1k to 1500. I know the red Hondas are pretty good as are the yamahas and have been looking at a bombardier (can-am) one. 

Is a half decent one achievable at that price? Any pointers in make / model/ common weaknesses??

Thanks in advance. 

If your handy with the spanners then you could keep 1000 1500 quad going, if a spanner is alien to you stay clear. A honda or Yamaha would be my chose in the price range / age you will be looking at, if you can find one of the old Hondas with the live front axle that is one to have as long as every thing works they are really tough but some of the parts are getting harder to find. 

5 hours ago, London Best said:

I don’t think I would be inclined to buy anything second hand from a farmer.

Unless Irish farmers are more gentle souls than ours, or maybe actually maintain things.

I would. But buyer beware!

They aren't. And maintenance is simply a state of mind for them!

3 hours ago, Teal said:

Think you will struggle at that price range. Unless you go for a cheap chinese model (don't). Really needs to be £2k+ to get something on your specs.

Maybe I'll save a bit more then. But I've 3 trees lying flat waiting for me. Might have to take a punt.

Do you know anything about the bombardier ones?

2 hours ago, bluesj said:

If your handy with the spanners then you could keep 1000 1500 quad going, if a spanner is alien to you stay clear. A honda or Yamaha would be my chose in the price range / age you will be looking at, if you can find one of the old Hondas with the live front axle that is one to have as long as every thing works they are really tough but some of the parts are getting harder to find. 

Thanks. I reasonably proficient on small engines, but have zero experience on quads. The technical challenges appeal to me though.

• 3 weeks later...

Honda is definately the Rolls Royce of quads. I am just very disappointed that the have not got their cracking little 50 UTV homologated and shipped over there. It looks the perfect country shooters machine , narrow to get between trees, light on the ground and capable of towing a small trailer. I would have one tomorow and I have spoken to many others who feel the same. 

Probably the EU again with their regulations.