Worth staying up for

flippermaj

Finished a rare night shift and went straight down the foreshore.

Took the old AYA Yeoman and it didn't let me down, a greylag, a pink and a pigeon.    Geese were shot with very expensive 36grm No 3 bismuth, the pigeon Eley eco wad No 3 steel 32grm.

Taw (my Dog) did a good job finding the grey and pigeon in thick cover.

Pigeon wraps for tea and the geese will be burgers, chilli and spag bol!

Not long left now.

Cheers flipper

Taw,_AYA_and_Geese_and_Pigeon.jpeg

22 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

The Yeoman is an interesting version!  Looks like it should be a 3 inch mag but it's only chambered for 2.75 inch and is stamped as a Yeoman on the barrels.  Don't think I have seen another like it, not sure what they thought when they put that one together!

Nice all the same I prefer the beaver tails because of my shovel hands

30 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

The Yeoman is an interesting version!  Looks like it should be a 3 inch mag but it's only chambered for 2.75 inch and is stamped as a Yeoman on the barrels.  Don't think I have seen another like it, not sure what they thought when they put that one together!

hello, email AYA Spain with serial no and should get info on your Yeoman. Elderkins imported them as well as A S I

3 hours ago, flippermaj said:

I remember seeing one advertised a few years ago and yes it was 2-3/4

3 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Seen several over the years and as you`ve proven,you don`t have to have 3" for wildfowling !! Great pic!

6 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Took the old AYA Yeoman and it didn't let me down, a greylag, a pink and a pigeon.    Geese were shot with very expensive 36grm No 3 bismuth, the pigeon Eley eco wad No 3 steel 32grm.

Not long left now.

Cheers flipper

Top result Mark well done mate good photo also

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

My dad had one the same for a while. Used as a fowling gun (2 3/4) until he bought his 3" G.E. Lewis.

OK. I’ve only seen Yeomans with straight hand and splinter fore ends myself. 
I always wanted a 3” for fowling but never got round to buying one. Consequently, all my coastal fowling for 25 years was done with a 2 3/4”.

On 03/02/2020 at 15:44, flippermaj said:

I owned one for quite a few years; bought it off someone on here actually. It was a 3” mag’ version although it was never used as such by me. I think it’s a tremendous design with its proper pistol grip and wide beaver tail fore-end, and I really enjoyed using it. It’s only drawbacks for me were it’s auto safety, non ejector and double triggers, but I learned to live with them. 🙂

I sold it last year to a fellow syndicate member so see it being used quite regularly. I do get a slight twinge of regret at times about selling it, to the point where I asked him if he would give me first refusal if he ever parts with it. 
Have fun. 👍

• 4 months later...
On 03/02/2020 at 13:12, flippermaj said:

Not long left now.

Cheers flipper

What chokes is it mate? 

It’s full in one barrel and the previous owner had the other barrel opened up to about quarter.  The full barrel patterns any steel I have tested really well.  The other opened barrel gives patchy patterns.   I would much have preferred that it had not been opened up!  In fact I would take full and full any day.  If you are looking for info to help make a decision on your own gun my advice is leave the chokes alone, load it with steel and have some fun!   Shot plenty of gamebore no 4 steel through mine plus at least a box of no 2 steel, hevi shot 4 and 5 all with no harm to the gun or me!

1 hour ago, flippermaj said:

It’s full in one barrel and the previous owner had the other barrel opened up to about quarter.  The full barrel patterns any steel I have tested really well.  The other opened barrel gives patchy patterns.   I would much have preferred that it had not been opened up!  In fact I would take full and full any day.  If you are looking for info to help make a decision on your own gun my advice is leave the chokes alone, load it with steel and have some fun!   Shot plenty of gamebore no 4 steel through mine plus at least a box of no 2 steel, hevi shot 4 and 5 all with no harm to the gun or me!

I meant to buy GB 32g 4’s but bought 3’s instead ... GB say their 4s and 5s are ok through any choke but found out after buying that the 3’s count as HP steel and should only be shot through a steel proof gun (supposedly). 

My SxS is choked 1/2 and FULL. 

50 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I meant to buy GB 32g 4’s but bought 3’s instead ... GB say their 4s and 5s are ok through any choke but found out after buying that the 3’s count as HP steel and should only be shot through a steel proof gun (supposedly). 

My SxS is choked 1/2 and FULL. 

Shoot them through your gun you will have no problems. I shoot steel homeloads in 2s up to bbs in steel through my fixed choke sxs that's half  and full choke no bother 

11 minutes ago, m greeny said:

Shoot them through your gun you will have no problems. I shoot steel homeloads in 2s up to bbs in steel through my fixed choke sxs that's half  and full choke no bother 

Why do they make such as fuss saying 32g 4 is fine but 32g 3’s has to be HP steel 🤷‍♂️ 

What a fuss! 

Some years ago I found a 70mm chambered AYA Yeoman with pistol grip grip stock and beavertail forened on the rack in the local gunshop - advertised as a 3" No. 3. Repeatedly firing 3"ammo through a 2 3/4" gun would have proved interesting.

The shop manager had taken it in and not looked at it properly, assuming from the woodwork that it was a 3" magnum no.3.

An earlier contributor to this thread mentioned that he`d owned a 3" Yeoman sbs. I don`t think AYA ever made such a gun, the frame and action table being too small to accomodate the thicker barrels and longer chambers of the 3" model. The lighter barrels and lack of weight of the Yeoman would have made it a punishing gun to fire with very heavy loads.

Having said that, AYA have turned out all manner of guns, many of which were not retailed in the UK so, has anybody for absolute definite owned a 3" chambered Yeoman which was categorically not a 3" no.3?