Beaver Shooting

Daz1986

So as above! a very close friend of mine is having his fishing lakes decimated by Beaver! the damage caused is very extensive so he has requested they are thinned out!! I haven't ever had a request like this before so am looking for info on best caliber or cartridge and also if they can be used for anything after humanly dispatching! I have contacted Natural England just to explore legality and so on and have the green light!

any info would be cracking

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

Jesus..beaver ?...never heard of this,, live catch traps might be useful

i also haven't heard of it!! however seeing the damage!!! its unreal! I am going to put up trail cams out of interest just to see the ******* in action then ether trap or shoot them 

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Seen them shot wit a 22magnum 

skin and eat
make a hat from the skin  

note if you’re shooting them on the lake they will sink so you need a fishing rod with some treble hooks on the end to retrieve them hope you’re a good caster 😊

Or a magnet

6 minutes ago, Daz1986 said:

i also haven't heard of it!! however seeing the damage!!! its unreal! I am going to put up trail cams out of interest just to see the ******* in action then ether trap or shoot them 

Can you say where this is happening

2 minutes ago, Daz1986 said:

haha all jokes aside! has anyone managed to shoot them? or trap without chloroform, alcohol or  rohypnol

yes mate the damage is in Kent on the outers of a fishing lake

good grief, just googled it,  cant see you being very popular shooting beaver, live catch trap perhaps but baited with what ? [a piece of wood] good luck anyway..  .22 should slow them down

What guns do you have might be a good start, then we might be able to advise best calibre and ammunition with a little more subjectivity. 

I personally would use my 222 I think. But if I had to guess at a ideal Beaver calibre then I would think a 22 hornet would take some serious beating.

The Americans build sets on known runs and by their lodge baited with birch I believe. They swim through the snare or the trap and are either killed by the trap or drown. Not sure about the legalities of underwater snaring in the UK. They're supposed to be very good to eat, the furs make amazing gloves. Beware of beaver fever...Can't remember what it actually is but wash your hands after handling them. They're big but soft bodied so anything from a 22 up will make then fall over.

1 minute ago, zipdog said:

What guns do you have might be a good start, then we might be able to advise best calibre and ammunition with a little more subjectivity. 

I personally would use my 222 I think. But if I had to guess at a ideal Beaver calibre then I would think a 22 hornet would take some serious beating.

caliber from 22, 17hmr, 357/38, 204, 243, 308 and 338

Just now, old'un said:

I was going to ask the same question.

I spoke to one of our ecological teams today whom advised me to give Natural England a bell  they said "there is no protection on them as not endangered, you can go about human dispatch but it has to be just that!" the woman was clear as mud! but i followed up with can i shoot them then "YES"

i figure i have covered my backside 

3 minutes ago, Daz1986 said:

I spoke to one of our ecological teams today whom advised me to give Natural England a bell  they said "there is no protection on them as not endangered, you can go about human dispatch but it has to be just that!" the woman was clear as mud! but i followed up with can i shoot them then "YES"

I wouldnt post any pics on FB though

4 minutes ago, Daz1986 said:

I would get that in writing/email to be on the safe side.

Just now, islandgun said:

I wouldnt post any pics on FB though

:good: