Beaver Shooting

Daz1986

Just now, old'un said:

I would get that in writing/email to be on the safe side.

:good:

that's not a bad shout! i will do just this! i am going tom set up some cameras and hopefully i will get some footage of them in action! as far as facebook lol i will be keeping this between the hunting community. would have not mentioned it but honest answer is i have never done this before 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Daz1986 said:

caliber from 22, 17hmr, 357/38, 204, 243, 308 and 338

In the right place any of those would do BUT the legality issue must be sorted first.  Hunted in Sweden and they suggested to shoot them well away from the waters edge as once in the water they would sink and be lost.  Centre fire 22s where favorite over there.

Just shows what damage stupid thick idiots can do with their crazy release programmes.  Ask any hunters in Slovenia about the wolf problem from wolves released outside Slovenia now decimating the roe deer population.

Edited by Walker570

13 minutes ago, Daz1986 said:

that's not a bad shout! i will do just this! i am going tom set up some cameras and hopefully i will get some footage of them in action! as far as facebook lol i will be keeping this between the hunting community. would have not mentioned it but honest answer is i have never done this before 

Just a few responses when a beaver was shot in Devon last year, if I was you I would not broadcast your plans to much.

Dominic Dyer wrote: “This is terrible but yet another case of the ongoing war against our native wildlife across the British Countryside from badgers to beavers and hen barriers to golden eagles nothing is safe”.

Linda McKellar replied to Mr Goldsmith: “This is absolutely dreadful.  What is happening to our country?”

Another response said: “This is so sad but it also makes me shudder with horror at what people are doing.

“These people out there with guns have no respect for nature and life which frightens me.”

Link…https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/concern-report-beaver-shot-dead-2861740

Just now, old'un said:

Just a few responses when a beaver was shot in Devon last year, if I was you I would not broadcast your plans to much.

Dominic Dyer wrote: “This is terrible but yet another case of the ongoing war against our native wildlife across the British Countryside from badgers to beavers and hen barriers to golden eagles nothing is safe”.

Linda McKellar replied to Mr Goldsmith: “This is absolutely dreadful.  What is happening to our country?”

Another response said: “This is so sad but it also makes me shudder with horror at what people are doing.

“These people out there with guns have no respect for nature and life which frightens me.”

Link…https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/concern-report-beaver-shot-dead-2861740

in my opinion no matter what management we all do there will always be people who don't like it! whether we are controlling numbers of deer all they see is the lovely majestic animal!! I will not be off out to massacre there entire species but just cull there numbers to lower the damage caused (HOPEFULLY)

They are now protected here in Scotland, we were allowed to shoot them in the past, but you were not allowed to handle them. Then SNH said you could bag them and take them to the nearest farm so they could collect them, but you did not have to do this. Now you have to apply for a licence to control them, or SNH will live catch them for you.

They do a hell of a damage, the farmers were having to hire in diggers to remove dams on the ditches, and move there lodges. One day the beavers started on a tree at the side of the railway line, the line was closed for a half day while all trees were cut down, that were growing near the line, and this was the main line Glasgow to Aberdeen. We have had 200 year old oak trees toppled into the river that are several foot across.

DSCN7409 (2).JPG

1 minute ago, moongeese said:

They are now protected here in Scotland, we were allowed to shoot them in the past, but you were not allowed to handle them. Then SNH said you could bag them and take them to the nearest farm so they could collect them, but you did not have to do this. Now you have to apply for a licence to control them, or SNH will live catch them for you.

They do a hell of a damage, the farmers were having to hire in diggers to remove dams on the ditches, and move there lodges. One day the beavers started on a tree at the side of the railway line, the line was closed for a half day while all trees were cut down, that were growing near the line, and this was the main line Glasgow to Aberdeen. We have had 200 year old oak trees toppled into the river that are several foot across.

DSCN7409 (2).JPG

wow! i have not located a dam yet!! i want to get on top of it before it gets more out of hand! 

13 minutes ago, Daz1986 said:

in my opinion no matter what management we all do there will always be people who don't like it! whether we are controlling numbers of deer all they see is the lovely majestic animal!! I will not be off out to massacre there entire species but just cull there numbers to lower the damage caused (HOPEFULLY)

Agreed, it looks like you are perfectly legal to-do what you plan, but just be careful about giving to much detail, you never know who else is looking at this.

26 minutes ago, Daz1986 said:

those trees are just 2 of the many!!! the damage is huge 

cage trap them....train them and give them flouresent jackets and sell them to the forestry commision.....bit of advertising on the jackets......."stihl 'a munching"

9 minutes ago, crazycooker said:

A friend of mine had some beaver issues in Kent too 

contacted NE and as beaver doesn’t exist in the county they  said he couldn’t shoot em as they didn’t exist helpful ******* they were 

haha i had a good chat with the woman of NE and she was unclear but gave me what i needed to know in some beat around the bush kinda way!

Just now, ditchman said:

cage trap them....train them and give them flouresent jackets and sell them to the forestry commision.....bit of advertising on the jackets......."stihl 'a munching"

its amazing the damage they cause! i would say they are far more efficient than the FC