Centrepin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to work in Teddington and there were flocks with hundreds of them that used to be in and around the trees in Bushy park.

They were great to see, but the racket was loud and constant, and all the other birds vanished.

Even watched them harrying crows, which was impressive as they just mobbed them.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Lovely pretty little birds. Hope they stay in the Home Counties for their health.

We have the first one I've seen up here. It appeared on the ripening cherries at work last week, so far it seems to be alone, not for long though!

• 1 month later...

I heard a couple or more from my garden in NE Hampshire on Monday, and saw one fly past. It was the first time I have seen them in Yateley and was I quite enthralled, I guess it would be different if they were more common here.

Our next door neighbour took this photo:

Resized_20200719_160237.jpg.635ef2b5cdbe4ea128b6ce64c4db4d79.jpg

On 10/02/2020 at 18:04, Dibble said:

12 Parakeets *
6  Thin slices of lean beef, 4
4  Rashers of bacon, 3
3  Hard-boiled eggs
1/2 ts Finely chopped parsley
1/4 ts Dried parsley
Finely grated lemon peel
Salt & pepper
Puff paste
Flour

* Parakeets are a small, long-tailed tropical parrot.

Method: Prepare the birds, and truss them like a quail or any other small bird. Line a pie-dish with the beef, over it place 6 of the paraquets, intersperse slices of egg, parsley and lemon-rind, dredge lightly with flour, and season with salt and pepper. Cover with the bacon cut into strips, lay the rest of the birds on the top, intersperse slices of egg, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with parsley and lemon-rind as before; three-quarter fill the dish with cold water, cover with puff-paste, and bake in a quick oven.

Time: About 2-1/2 hours. SUFFICIENT for about 12 persons.

I was just going to ask if anyone had eaten one.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Not seen any in our area, but I can be educated.

What do they eat and do they present a problem to farmers?

From what I understand very much the same as pigeons eat but its more the bullying of our native species of wild song bird thats the problem much like the grey squirrel and the red. Wild ring necked paraqueets are on the general licence as a nuisance species. I became interested because I was tokd my local area was over run with them. This maybe true in parks and gardens where the public feed the pretty birds but i have absolutely no evidence of them in rural areas or any perm.

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Not seen any in our area, but I can be educated.

What do they eat and do they present a problem to farmers?

From RSPB no less

"Ring-necked parakeets feed on a wide variety of fruit, berries, nuts, seeds, grain, household scraps, and even meat."

So fruits, particularly soft fruits, are at risk along with commercially grown nuts.  I believe in some areas where numbers are increasing that cereals have been hit also. 

So in answer to you Yes they can be.   This is on top of the problems caused to native small birds in sub urban areas by competition and rumour has it predation.

31 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

From RSPB no less

"Ring-necked parakeets feed on a wide variety of fruit, berries, nuts, seeds, grain, household scraps, and even meat."

So fruits, particularly soft fruits, are at risk along with commercially grown nuts.  I believe in some areas where numbers are increasing that cereals have been hit also. 

So in answer to you Yes they can be.   This is on top of the problems caused to native small birds in sub urban areas by competition and rumour has it predation.

So if I shoot any can I sell them the the taxidermists and we can all have a stuffed parakeet as a pet???