Decoying crows.

12borejimbo

Been a while since I posted on here! 

So the maize is being chopped as we speak, done a little reccy and as always there are hundreds of crows about.

I want to go after them this weekend, anyone got tips for me to draw them in or keep them off other fields? 

They are used to seeing such large flocks that it may prove tricky, so need to make it irresitable. 

Counted about 300 on one field (right in the middle of the estate and half a mile away another 200+ on sugar beet tops just lifted. 

What works for me ...

Set up on the field that has the most on it.

Get there before dawn, and get yourself a great hide.

You'll only need a few decoys, as you'll build the pattern as they come in.

Concentrate on keeping still.

If you do everything above, and they want to be on the field, you'll be too busy to worry about a magnet or calling.

Enjoy!

As above, all good advice.  Particularly that from Smoker...crows get up very early so be there set up well before dawn breaks on the horizon

I am frustrated as I have a field which has just been drilled and it is black with crows. Unfortunately one side is a lane used by lots of traffic and dog walkers a footpath right across the middle and down one side and a village just 80yrds away on the other and a house which sits in the field outline.  Noise not a problem as I have a mod Mossy but fall of shot in all directions is critical.   Difficult to put a banger out as it is so close to houses and a school.    .

Edited by Walker570

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

As above, all good advice.

I am frustrated as I have a field which has just been drilled and it is black with crows. Unfortunately one side is a lane used by lots of traffic and dog walkers a footpath right across the middle and down one side and a village just 80yrds away on the other and a house which sits in the field outline.  Noise not a problem as I have a mod Mossy but fall of shot in all directions is critical.   Difficult to put a banger out as it is so close to houses and a school.    .

Could you intercept them at a different location flighting in from their roost?

winder it is the lower they fly I find setting up to one side of where they enter the field works best the hide is out of sight then so by time they come over the hedge it’s to late number of decoys don’t matter i will only be using three dead birds   this week if the wind picks up killing them is all about range i use a 20g auto with 28g eleys it drops them easily if you let them come right in 

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Could you intercept them at a different location flighting in from their roost?

Not easily as they come in over part of the village.  The farm is surrounded and zig zagged with public footpaths in all directions.  We have to be very careful siting high seats and arcs of fire to control foxes and deer coming in from the 1000 or more acres forest bordering the other side a large portion of which is Woodland Trust where the public have free rein to let their dogs run amock at all hours day and night.  The crows do not come from there.

Edited by Walker570

The best crows days ive had have been when ive set up a really well hidden hide almost inside a low hedge  ..

If i set up near trees they seem wary. 

But out in the open where they feel safest .ive had them come in groups constantly. 

Ive been meaning to try a layout style of hide  right in the middle of a field .surrounded by my decoys .