What Optics?

sh4d0w

Hello ello allo All.

I am about to hit the buy button on a new .22 Wildcat and it dawned on me i need something to see through :-) as i am going to retain my working Rapid 7 setup. 

I was looking at the Compact AirMax but have read some pretty mixed stuff on them. I am going to use the new Wildcat for various tasks, target and vermin work, ive always been into Lamping but now also thinking NV is an option. 

What optics are people using and can recommend? 

4 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

I have the hawke airmax 30 compact 3-12x40 on my SFS Imp .22 and its great but eye relief is little. Whats your budget?

Any of the Airmax Hawkes...I have three.... choose to suit your own feelings/eyes etc.   One with side wheel adjustment if you are shooting variable distances from a fixed location,  makes life much easier to sharpen up the picture on the higher magnifications.  The tree rats around here are putting up a petition to get them banned:lol:

Sub 12 or fac ? 

For me at least  .i choose the reticule that best suits the trajectory of the pellet  .

So thats different rets and magnification for different speed pellets 

If i have a sub 12 .22 i might choose x7 mag so a 3-9 x 40 would work fine .

A 900 fps gun might work out best on 24 x .so id choose a 6-24 x50 scope .

Depends   see  

2 minutes ago, sh4d0w said:

I have now bought the Airmax 3-12-40 SF and will be looking at the NV 007 - any thoughts on that NV? 

You need to consider eye relief on a bullpup with a 007 , they can add up to 6 inches to the back of the scope, and with limited real estate on the  'comb' you MAY have to mount the scope further forward for non NV use, which may be uncomfortable/poor position for eye relief.

Im sure plenty of people do use add ons on Wildcats, but every shooter is different in their head position and eyes.

Some stocks are very uncomfortable to use with 007s due to the shape of the comb  , even on conventional guns.

Apart from that 007 s are awesome !

17 hours ago, sh4d0w said:

I have now bought the Airmax 3-12-40 SF and will be looking at the NV 007 - any thoughts on that NV? 

hello, have not tried an 007 but have good reviews, i did get an ad on years ago but could not get on with it, i have N/V scopes, lots of info on the UK night vision forum

On 06/02/2020 at 15:23, sh4d0w said:

The pard 007 is a excellent add on ,the on board illumination is good for 100y plus, if your going to be using it on other rifles with more range than your  airrifle I'd recommend a Solaris srx this will give you 350 yds plus