410 game loads

Both my fourtens are 2 1/2 inch (65mm) chambers, so will only fire half ounce (14gram) loads. For forty years I have done very well with 14 gram No.7’s for pigeon, crows, pheasant, partridge and duck before the lead ban. For the last thirty years (approx) I have used Express cartridges exclusively as I found them far better than Eley Fourlong 12.5gram. The Express work very well in No.9’s as well, but I have not shot pheasants with these. 78 crows one morning though! Last year I discovered the new Eley Trap 14gram 7.5’s and they are fantastic but I am unsure if they contain fibre wads or not. 
Your new gun will almost certainly have 3 inch chambers so will fire much heavier charges, virtually twenty bore loads.

There arent many fibre .410 loads .

Eley do some but im not a fan .

I stick with plaswads .and then spend my time after a shoot trying to find as many as i can .

Thats the best i can do .

I do wish manufacturers  made them orange or something makes em easier to find .they do it with the shells why not the wads .

High Pheasant fibre definitely  6s or 7s

I have a Yilditz and had it for three seasons now with no problems but I know shortly after I purchased mine there was obvously a bad lot came in which had double discharges etc etc., I do not know if that has been sorted or not. All I can say is I love mine, super little gun. I shoot my own fibre loads  19g #7s from Fiocchi or High pheasant cases and just about to try out some copper coated shot and see if it makes any difference.  I have shot the High Pheasant fibre #6s 3 inch and they did the job no problem but they now do a '#7 load which I think may be just a bit better.  I don't think the bird will notice if you put it in the pattern.

Edited by Walker570

4 hours ago, sitsinhedges said:

These aren't fast by my chrono but they are very soft shooting an I've shot some reasonable birds over decoys with them. I'd take Fiocchi 3" all day though even if they are plaswads.

Agree on the Fiocchi.  I have been shooting some of their roll turnover 18g #6s towards the end of the season and they do the job no problem but of course you have the plastic wad.

At the end of the day it is what gives you confidence and at sensible ranges, YOU put it in the pattern and they are all much the same.

Both my fourtens are choked dunno and dunno. The hammerless Army and Navy doesn’t feel to have hardly anything in the right barrel when cleaning it, and a bit more in the left. With 14 gram 7’s it will kill birds all day at 30 yards. I can’t remember what the W. Richards hammer gun feels like on a cleaning rod, but I think it carries even less choke.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Both my fourtens are choked dunno and dunno. The hammerless Army and Navy doesn’t feel to have hardly anything in the right barrel when cleaning it, and a bit more in the left. With 14 gram 7’s it will kill birds all day at 30 yards. I can’t remember what the W. Richards hammer gun feels like on a cleaning rod, but I think it carries even less choke.

410's don't need a lot of choke (it starts to disturb the pattern) as you are shooting sub 40 yards, , 8 to 12 thou is normally plenty.

I have 10 thou in first barrel, 12 thou in 2nd (Light Modified and Modified respectively) for game and IC (8 thou) and LM for sporting clays and SK (5 thou) & IC for skeet.

Edited by Stonepark

Recently been using Cheddite 3” 18grm Euro 7.5’s.. Seem punchy enough and drop the birds. Can’t find any online velocity data though, plus the wad is advertised as ‘Bior’ which sounds agreeable.. Appears to be a good cartridge, perhaps a Fiocchi clone or vice versa..??

4 hours ago, BrowningDJC said:

What chokes are you all using? And what sort of patterns are you getting out to 30 yards? 

30 inch circle at 35 measured yards I shoot full and full (Yilditz chokes) That is with my own reloads, Not quite 19g of 7s and fibre wads.. 19.7gs of SP3.  Also excellent penetration.

I say not quite because I fill to a point where I can get a nice tidy crimp and that equates to just under 19 on my scales.

8 minutes ago, Salmo9 said:

Recently been using Cheddite 3” 18grm Euro 7.5’s.. Seem punchy enough and drop the birds. Can’t find any online velocity data though, plus the wad is advertised as ‘Bior’ which sounds agreeable.. Appears to be a good cartridge, perhaps a Fiocchi clone or vice versa..??

Bior is a plastic wad, but with no petals or cup.

mini_bior-mb_32.jpg

5 hours ago, BrowningDJC said:

What chokes are you all using? And what sort of patterns are you getting out to 30 yards? 

5 hours ago, BrowningDJC said:

Eley 18g No 7 35 yards Briley Light Mod Choke - 136 out of 210 total pellets in 30 inch circle which is max range and max choke for this cartridge and my gun (Khan/Revo K226 Multichoke), tighter chokes result in less pellets in circle. At 25 yards 199 pellets are within the 30 inch circle, 30 yards will fall somewhere between.

No7_18g_BLM_35yds.JPG

Edited by Stonepark

Nice pattern.  I have friends who also shoot lighter choking with great success and this goes to prove that if you shoot a 410 and even maybe a 28gauge then patterning your cartridge with various chokes pays off. No shotgun is the same and you will in my experience get slight variations so checking your own is the only way.  If you see that sort of pattern then it gives you confidence in knowing the cartridge will do the job IF YOU DO:yes:   It is so easy to blame your tools.

Recently had a friend who was telling about a shot at a roe deer and how a twig must have deflected or broke up the bullet. I said , "Maybe you just clean missed, we all do occasionally"   It went quiet for a while.

Edited by Walker570

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Pattern fails before penetration so I'd advise English #7 over anything else. For squirrels the American Skeet "game" has given us the great gift on the 2 1/2" .410 cartridge with #9 shot. A far better ratting load too than English #5 ever was.

And very effective on birds too. 
See my post No.2 above.

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

And very effective on birds too. 
See my post No.2 above.

Yes. Eler Fourten and Fourlong were just a joke. As a kid (I'm age now sixty-two) I can remember all that most gunshops had was "Number #5. Is that OK?" Patterned had more holes than an old dishcloth.

Edited by enfieldspares

I shoot 6 s in .410 .either 2.6 mm or 2.7 

Ive tried the fiocchi 19 grm no7.5  -2.3 mm and wasnt impressed .

They shot a nice pattern but generally failed to kill birds as well as the no6 shot above . I had to limit the range to around 25 yds tops  

Thats what i found out of my gun .

My mate had a bit more success with the 7.5 s out of his gun so i gave the rest of the slab to him  .

I now stick to gamebore 16 grm no6 

And nsi  19 grm no6 .

They kill well out to 30 yds - 35 at a push

Big crows too .

That my experience .

Edited by Ultrastu

43 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I shoot 6 s in .410 .either 2.6 mm or 2.7 

Ive tried the fiocchi 19 grm no7.5  -2.3 mm and wasnt impressed .

They shot a nice pattern but generally failed to kill birds as well as the no6 shot above . I had to limit the range to around 25 yds tops  

Thats what i found out of my gun .

My mate had a bit more success with the 7.5 s out of his gun so i gave the rest of the slab to him  .

I now stick to gamebore 16 grm no6 

And nsi  19 grm no6 .

They kill well out to 30 yds - 35 at a push

Big crows too .

That my experience .

That is why I also check penetration.  My home loads sink the #7s to the depth of the pellet into the marine ply backboard having gone through thickish paper and a sheet of corrogated cardboard.

I had some Lylevale #6s with felt wads and most of those just put a dent in the wood and bounced off.  I eventually gave up on them and broke the remaining ones down for the shot and primers