sight

kev56

Just a thought but if they're worried that soldiers can't shoot for toffee why don't they...ermmm...do some more training. Most untrained civilians can shoot about an inch at 100 yds - yes the targets aren't shooting back I know! The 5.56 is rated as accurate depending on the rifle to about 600 yds. I would think that with even limited training your average shooter would be able to hit a 2ft by 3ft rectangle at 600 yds so with some intensive  and regular training it can't be beyond the realm of possibilities for a soldier to be able to regularly shoot decent groups at 600 yds. Think how much money they might save by NOT funding and researching this new toy.

Its part of a re vamp of the US armed forces  personal weapon systems, the sight mentioned is not going to be used across the board, as in, many combat situations occur at very short ranges, where such a sight would be a DIS advantage.
Other improvements include a new more powerful calibre.
A headset that is linked to the sight on the weapon , allowing the weapon to shoot accurately round corners or from a covered position.
New weapon sights , using NV with thermal overlays/ picture in picture, and built in rangefinders with auto correcting reticules for accurate shot placement.

All this tech has been around for a while now in various forms, but the Americans are putting it into mainstream armed forces use, and as we usually lag behind a few years, the UK forces will no doubt get the same upgrades.

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

Just a thought but if they're worried that soldiers can't shoot for toffee why don't they...ermmm...do some more training. Most untrained civilians can shoot about an inch at 100 yds - yes the targets aren't shooting back I know! The 5.56 is rated as accurate depending on the rifle to about 600 yds. I would think that with even limited training your average shooter would be able to hit a 2ft by 3ft rectangle at 600 yds so with some intensive  and regular training it can't be beyond the realm of possibilities for a soldier to be able to regularly shoot decent groups at 600 yds. Think how much money they might save by NOT funding and researching this new toy.

Most contacts take place at under 600 yards unless you're hit by a dedicated sniper. My reaction to a sniper is if he misses on the first shot when he's had hours to set it up, he's hardly likely to hit on the second. 

However, firing back. You need to win the firefight, by suppressing enemy fire. This is not always a matter of hitting a specific "target" but in our case this would be nice. Most firefights take place at 200 yards/metres or less. Most soldiers are required to pass an annual personal weapons test and can generally hit a head size target at 200.

But, of course theres always a but, most contacts take place at night and night vision comes and goes with gun flash, explosion, tracer and other variants. Unless you're very lucky and someone makes a silhouette or stands in a direct light your average target is the size of a mini clay, sideways on and fast moving. Generally you're pumped up, adrenaline in your mouth, breathing heavy and taking possibly a snap shot with two quick rounds with many more distractions. Lucky if you hit.

Think, driven game at night, whilst you're doing a 100 yard sprint, but they're shooting back and someone is flashing a torch in your eyes whilst shouting instructions at you.

The average civilian shotgun user probably fires more in one weekend than an average soldier in three months. This is not the soldiers fault, nor the Armys fault. Each Regiment or Corps are allocated so much ammunition per year and can't exceed it on cost grounds. That ammo has to be worked out per man per year. If it was shotgun cartridges per shoot, the Army might just last a full game season, might!

Rate of fire as taught by the Army is still 5 rounds per minute, unchanged from the Napoleonic wars.

Rant over🙄

20 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Most contacts take place at under 600 yards unless you're hit by a dedicated sniper. My reaction to a sniper is if he misses on the first shot when he's had hours to set it up, he's hardly likely to hit on the second. 

However, firing back. You need to win the firefight, by suppressing enemy fire. This is not always a matter of hitting a specific "target" but in our case this would be nice. Most firefights take place at 200 yards/metres or less. Most soldiers are required to pass an annual personal weapons test and can generally hit a head size target at 200.

But, of course theres always a but, most contacts take place at night and night vision comes and goes with gun flash, explosion, tracer and other variants. Unless you're very lucky and someone makes a silhouette or stands in a direct light your average target is the size of a mini clay, sideways on and fast moving. Generally you're pumped up, adrenaline in your mouth, breathing heavy and taking possibly a snap shot with two quick rounds with many more distractions. Lucky if you hit.

Think, driven game at night, whilst you're doing a 100 yard sprint, but they're shooting back and someone is flashing a torch in your eyes whilst shouting instructions at you.

The average civilian shotgun user probably fires more in one weekend than an average soldier in three months. This is not the soldiers fault, nor the Armys fault. Each Regiment or Corps are allocated so much ammunition per year and can't exceed it on cost grounds. That ammo has to be worked out per man per year. If it was shotgun cartridges per shoot, the Army might just last a full game season, might!

Rate of fire as taught by the Army is still 5 rounds per minute, unchanged from the Napoleonic wars.

Rant over🙄

Very informative.

41 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Rant over🙄

5 rounds per minute! Has anyone told the baddies they are only allowed that rate of fire? 

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The 5 RpM is aimed shots to count, not just spraying stuff on auto.

Ah right that makes a bit more sense. Still doesn't seem a lot with the capability of modern firearms it's not like reloading a musket is it. Even 6 a minute would seem more appropriate. Aim, fire, acquire target, aim, fire. Rinse and repeat. I'm not criticising anyone by the way...well maybe the bean counters but not the people that matter.

It's horses for courses, some more able shooters will be more accurate and quicker.

Year ago our Boss decided he was going to join the Shooting Team, I had to decide who would step aside for him. I asked him to take less rounds than the rest of us as they were counted and someone else could have put them to better use.

Blow me down, as we walk to the Firing Point, he puts on his glasses and it starts to rain. I don't think he hit any of the falling plates but used up all his ammunition just making noise.

Consequently we couldn't win. It was like having a hand tied behind your back.

Correct round management. Well aimed shots and not having two or more people shooting at the same targets is what counts. Not half blind overly confident Officers who should know better.

Oh and the sight mentioned in the first post, what happens when the batteries run flat?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
ADDITION!

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The 5 RpM is aimed shots to count, not just spraying stuff on auto.

In theory😉

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's horses for courses, some more able shooters will be more accurate and quicker.

Year ago our Boss decided he was going to join the Shooting Team, I had to decide who would step aside for him. I asked him to take less rounds than the rest of us as they were counted and someone else could have put them to better use.

Blow me down, as we walk to the Firing Point, he puts on his glasses and it starts to rain. I don't think he hit any of the falling plates but used up all his ammunition just making noise.

Consequently we couldn't win. It was like having a hand tied behind your back.

Correct round management. Well aimed shots and not having two or more people shooting at the same targets is what counts. Not half blind overly confident Officers who should know better.

Yup, been there.

My first ever live op, I was issued 10 rounds, 1 yellow smoke grenade and had to sign them out.

Fortunately I was also able to sign them back in unused.

Some years later, handing over our area to another regiment and doing an orientation patrol, we had a small contact, one of the Ossifers, obviously on a site seeing tour only, asked if i had any ammunition for him. I told him politely to shout bang.

Oh the good old days.