BBC License Part Deux

sam triple

TV detector Van's, just like the BBC old and outdated. 

Without a warrant issued by a court, they have no right of access to your house.

20200205_084207.jpg

12 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

I guess that even if it's de-criminalised they could still bang a CCJ on you which would have ramifications. 

Not if you don't require credit. I've always worked on if you can't afford it cash, you can't afford it anyway.

Never had much in the way of material goods myself, but what I have is paid for. 

They don’t need to enter your house if the can see a working tv on they can prosecute you.

My wife was at home with the kids when one knocked on the door she would not let the inspector in the house he asking to see tv license she said we did not  have tv this going back thirty years now the block said I can see one in reflection of the fish tank she was fined three hundred quid then.

So don’t think that they have to come in your house because the don’t 

Edited by snow white

We pay best part of £42 a month for Sky and £7.99 for Amazon, cancelled Netflix as it was such poor value, personally can’t understand why some moan about the licence fee as I think it’s excellent value for money. It could of course be improved by bringing the “stars” pay into the real world with full access and transparency into the criminal salaries some are paid.

The other flaw is of course the constant fake “news” we are all fed daily but then that goes on on every MSM channel.

3 minutes ago, Hamster said:

We pay best part of £42 a month for Sky and £7.99 for Amazon, cancelled Netflix as it was such poor value, personally can’t understand why some moan about the licence fee as I think it’s excellent value for money. It could of course be improved by bringing the “stars” pay into the real world with full access and transparency into the criminal salaries some are paid.

The other flaw is of course the constant fake “news” we are all fed daily but then that goes on on every MSM channel.

You can think that, I will beg to differ.

54 minutes ago, snow white said:

They don’t need to enter your house if the can see a working tv on they can prosecute you.

Incorrect.

54 minutes ago, snow white said:

My wife was at home with the kids when one knocked on the door she would not let the inspector in the house he asking to see tv license she said we did not  have tv this going back thirty years now the block said I can see one in reflection of the fish tank she was fined three hundred quid then.

Whereupon he made your missus sign a statement, in which she effectively 'confessed to the crime'.  Had she just closed the door on him at that point, nothing would have happened.  They use all sorts of dirty tricks to get you to sign.

55 minutes ago, snow white said:

So don’t think that they have to come in your house because they don’t 

This is at least is true.  They have no powers of entry, without obtaining a warrant.  Just close the door on them.  They are unlikely to bother obtaining a warrant and will instead move on to easier targets. 

29 minutes ago, Hamster said:

personally can’t understand why some moan about the licence fee as I think it’s excellent value for money.

If it's compulosory, by very definition it's poor value for money. Because the funding model is desperately outdated, and a compulsory tax to watch broadcast television, whether or not you wach the BBC, belongs in the 1950s not the 2020s.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

We never watch bbc very seldom itv mainly sky.

I want get in to argument but beg to differ about what’s good value they put on.

Well as you want to get into an argument......if you take away bbc produced stuff then whole swathes of “sky” channels disappear. If only in the last couple of years more sky original programming has appeared.

As to value, I don’t really know but I can’t see radio 4 or 6 surviving as commercial entities.  

1 minute ago, sam triple said:

OK not regarding value aspect , how   will the BBC survive without license fee money and the millions it receives from the just as corrupt EU

By turning out quality programs and shows that can be sold around the world. They can and do make good saleable output such as Antiques Roadshow, Top Gear (once upon a time) the occasional quality drama, documentary or wildlife programs. But so much of their stuff is simply trash tv like the dreadful game shows or parochial antique based shows, all made on the cheap and with very limited appeal. Also, the everlastingly recycled shows like Strictly or the toe curlingly awful "talent" shows that have been basically unchanged for about 20 years might appeal to a lot of old biddies, but I can't see that kind of thing doing well internationally or migrating to Netflix etc.

I'd like to see the BBC move away from being a publicly owned entity that manages to not be answerable to the public, into a business that had to justify itself fiscally. As long as it's run and staffed by people totally detached from normal life, most of whom seem to work on the principal that only the brain dead watch TV, then not much will change.

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

OK not regarding value aspect , how   will the BBC survive without license fee money and the millions it receives from the just as corrupt EU

I don't care if the BBC folds and disappears, it would make zero impact on me. I don't like being forced to pay for things I don't want.

If everytime a car was fueled, and you were forced to pay for air and water just because it's there, you'd fuel some place else. 

1 hour ago, SpringDon said:

if you take away bbc produced stuff then whole swathes of “sky” channels disappear

I think you might be talking about the "UKTV" network, which is wholly owned by the BBC.   Why would they dissappear?  Surely if you moved to a voluntary-subscription model to fund the BBC, the parts that actually make a profit would be the last on the chopping block.  Mind you, with the current management in White City....

1 hour ago, Westward said:

By turning out quality programs and shows that can be sold around the world. They can and do make good saleable output such as Antiques Roadshow, Top Gear (once upon a time) the occasional quality drama, documentary or wildlife programs. But so much of their stuff is simply trash tv like the dreadful game shows or parochial antique based shows, all made on the cheap and with very limited appeal. Also, the everlastingly recycled shows like Strictly or the toe curlingly awful "talent" shows that have been basically unchanged for about 20 years might appeal to a lot of old biddies, but I can't see that kind of thing doing well internationally or migrating to Netflix etc.

I'd like to see the BBC move away from being a publicly owned entity that manages to not be answerable to the public, into a business that had to justify itself fiscally. As long as it's run and staffed by people totally detached from normal life, most of whom seem to work on the principal that only the brain dead watch TV, then not much will change.

hello, they do make some good programs and drama but the vast majority is **** oh and repeat so much not forgetting the huge salaries,  who will they appoint as the next Director General ???   

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

who will they appoint as the next Director General ???   

It's not just the DG they need root and branch replacement. To start with they should retire the bumbling old board of trustees and bring in a proper functioning board of directors who''ll challenge the justification for the established practices and crack down on the systemic liberal left bias that permeates the entire newsroom and the "diversity trumps quality" mantra. A board who''ll demand more and better programming rather than just "content" - to quote John Humphrys.

They are part of the taxpayer funded public sector and as long as the status quo exists they'll continue to believe they're untouchable and keep on churning out mostly trash programs.

They make an absolute fortune off the military. All personnel who live in SLA ( the block in old money ) have to have individual licences for each room. Gone are the days of locking up your TV in a cabinet when they arrive on the unit. Some blocks have 100+ rooms and there may be 25+ blocks on a large unit. Multiply that by the number of bases for three services in the UK and it’s quite a sum of cash. I believe the police and NHS staff have the same policy. 

13 minutes ago, Taileron said:

They make an absolute fortune off the military. All personnel who live in SLA ( the block in old money ) have to have individual licences for each room. Gone are the days of locking up your TV in a cabinet when they arrive on the unit. Some blocks have 100+ rooms and there may be 25+ blocks on a large unit. Multiply that by the number of bases for three services in the UK and it’s quite a sum of cash. I believe the police and NHS staff have the same policy. 

Oh that was a fun game, we even offered to buy a "hotel" type licence but were told that each room counted as a single dwelling!