How much did you pay for your medical check?

Papercase

Thought this may provide a guide for those unlucky enough to live in an area with a force that required a doctors check for your certificate renewal or grant.

I have just been charged £63.00 for the privilege - that's more than the SGC renewal itself. 

upon further reading - you can get them from a 3rd party for £50.00 - here https://medcert.co.uk/.

Looking forward to hearing what other peoples experiences are.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Papercase said:

Thought this may provide a guide for those unlucky enough to live in an area with a force that required a doctors check for your certificate renewal or grant.

I have just been charged £63.00 for the privilege - that's more than the SGC renewal itself. 

upon further reading - you can get them from a 3rd party for £50.00 - here https://medcert.co.uk/.

Looking forward to hearing what other peoples experiences are.

BASC also provide this service for their members, but I don't know what the charge is.

20 minutes ago, Papercase said:

those unlucky enough to live in an area with a force that required a doctors check for your certificate renewal or grant.

My previous GP & his partners would not sign the required letter as laid out on the Kent Police website. He explained he was not anti-guns or anti-shooting but resented the way that this non-NHS work had been dumped on them by the Police with no consultation. I was lucky and found another  NHS practice locally who would allow me to transfer and were happy tp produce the required letter. They charged £25, which I was more than happy with after some of the horror stories of £100 plus that have been floating around.

why do you have to pay? the firearms dept notify your doc that you are a firearms licence holder and they should notify them if you go see them with depression etc.the doctor doesnt actually send in a report, they only have to notify if there is a problem?. 

14 minutes ago, peejay said:

why do you have to pay? the firearms dept notify your doc that you are a firearms licence holder and they should notify them if you go see them with depression etc.the doctor doesnt actually send in a report, they only have to notify if there is a problem?. 

This is exactly what my Doctor told me which cost me £0.00

Just had my renewal FAC through - there's a new document now that you download in the Thames Valley area and take to your surgery for the GP to fill in, my surgery demand £48 up front for what should take a Doctor 10 minutes at most to fill in - but if you have "issues" it could take far longer. The accompanying letter actually admits that TVP are acting outside HO guidelines!!

If you normally see your GP on an NHS basis then surely by paying him you are entering into a private arrangement - why does he still have access to NHS files? I'm also wondering why the BASC have not demanded that all FEO's undergo similar Doctor checks that they pay for personally - surely their responsibility in granting  licences justifies such a check?

Edited by bruno22rf

I paid nothing in 2018 but since Jan 1st this year Sussex are requiring doctors to sign it off and my surgery are refusing. 

So are another surgery up the road which has caused my mate, an occasional clay shooter, to pack it in and give up his ticket.