How much did you pay for your medical check?

Papercase

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/02/2020 at 17:30, peejay said:

the doctor doesnt actually send in a report,

In an increasing number of county force areas, this remark is incorrect.

Kent Police are quite clear on the matter. Get your GP to produce & sign the sample letter as shown on their website. No letter = No Licence.

My local surgery is run by four partners who decided they would charge £200 for the service.  Everybody I've spoken to is disgusted with this and I know a few occasional shooters who gave their licence up as a result.  I paid it because after consulting with my feo I felt I had no choice. This is in Peebles, Scottish Borders. 

£200 is scandalous!

Why are people paying such figures when you can get it dome by 3rd party for £50?

My doctor asked £90 when I last renewed. He has never seen me as a patient, last time I went to the doctors was nearly 20 years ago and he wasn't even there then. He wouldn't know me from Adam.

At the time I ignored it and my licence came anyway, Cheshire Police now say no letter - no licence.

4 hours ago, Squirel1973 said:

My local surgery is run by four partners who decided they would charge £200 for the service.  Everybody I've spoken to is disgusted with this and I know a few occasional shooters who gave their licence up as a result.  I paid it because after consulting with my feo I felt I had no choice. This is in Peebles, Scottish Borders. 

Ditto.   Unfortunately the BASC scheme was not in operation at the time of my last renewal (3 years ago).

The GP's letter demanded £200 and stated: “We will be informing Police Scotland that we will not be able to complete their request for a report until we have received payment from you for this.”    Implication is that even if the GP knew full well that a patient’s certificate ought not to be renewed, such information would be withheld from the police until money had been received (potentially leaving an unsuitable person in possession of firearms until the previous certificate expired).   Money takes priority over for public safety.

Many people might think that if a GP had genuine doubts about a person´s fitness to hold a certificate it would be disgraceful (if not fraudulent) to charge a fee and respond to the police enquiry without first revealing those doubts to the applicant.   Money takes priority over the interests of the patient.

19 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Ditto.   Unfortunately the BASC scheme was not in operation at the time of my last renewal (3 years ago).

The GP's letter demanded £200 and stated: “We will be informing Police Scotland that we will not be able to complete their request for a report until we have received payment from you for this.”    Implication is that even if the GP knew full well that a patient’s certificate ought not to be renewed, such information would be withheld from the police until money had been received (potentially leaving an unsuitable person in possession of firearms until the previous certificate expired).   Money takes priority over for public safety.

Many people might think that if a GP had genuine doubts about a person´s fitness to hold a certificate it would be disgraceful (if not fraudulent) to charge a fee and respond to the police enquiry without first revealing those doubts to the applicant.   Money takes priority over the interests of the patient.

If the GP had any reservations about any person's ability to continue with their SGC or FAC they should inform the police immediately, not wait until your renewal. But I get where your going.

1 minute ago, bostonmick said:

So how does the basc or medicert thing work. If a GP refuses to pass the information onto the police or wants a large fee then why would they pass on the same information free to another doctor. Has anyone used either of these services to success. 

My understanding is, It's your medical information and as such you are entitled to it. I believe they can charge a small admin fee, if it is requested in paper form, which will more than likely be needed.

3 hours ago, bostonmick said:

So how does the basc or medicert thing work. If a GP refuses to pass the information onto the police or wants a large fee then why would they pass on the same information free to another doctor. Has anyone used either of these services to success. 

I think it's more that you give the other Dr's permission to view your records. They are yours so it's within your rights. They can then see if you're on any drugs or have a diagnosis of something that may not be suitable to hold a sgc/fac. 

4 hours ago, manthing said:

I think it's more that you give the other Dr's permission to view your records. They are yours so it's within your rights. They can then see if you're on any drugs or have a diagnosis of something that may not be suitable to hold a sgc/fac. 

I using the BASC one now. I had a link to a GP who is charging £50. My medical records ( which I've requested free of charge and once I receive them from my GP) will be sent to him, and then they are sent to the police.