Beretta stocks - max length

Big Mac

Hi,

Bit if a dumb question but I can’t seem to get a straight piece of information on the internet so hopefully someone more informed can help!?! 🤞🏼

Basically had a Browning 425 for a long time now - shot very irregularly over last 15 odd years - was my first gun and got as a teenager. At the time I had it fitted and a new rear butt put on by a gunsmith.

Have picked it up and been going lot more regularly and Ive been looking at a wee upgrade (looking to pack on longer barrels and but more weight) and quite like the Beretta 692s so thinking about a second hand one with adj comb. Question is, I’m a tall fella - broad set as well - and standard length of pull I can see all seem to be 14.5s. I know beretta add in the different butts - is there a max length I can get the length of pull too? How easy is it for a fitter to add in something to space it out - or is it worth getting a TSK just given my odd dimensions? 

Any views / informed opinions appreciated. 

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

You could add on just about as much as you want, either by fitting a thicker butt pad or getting a recoil device which has an adjustable stock length device built in. Graco do one.

Thanks - helpful looks like can add a lot of length on - and that type of thing wouldn’t affect access to the stock weights in future would you know? So screwed in etc?

I had one a few years ago and it did affect the balance of the gun. Personally, I would not recommend one.

I would experiment with different thickness butt plates / recoil pads. Unscrew whatever was already on and pack it out with thin wood, cardboard or plastic until you found the thickness that suited you best. Then get a pad / plate of that thickness.

I had a similar problem with my Beretta, but do not like spending money on a whim or reducing the value of the gun needlessly. One of my pals cuts 2” off the stock of all his guns, destroying resale value as he has “short arms”.  I cut spacers using different thicknesses from offcuts of WBP ply to get the length of pull. I then needed some drop so added an adjustable butt pad from Amazon (it was £17 delivered):

Bisley Adjustable Rubber Recoil Butt Pad Stock Shoulder Rifle Buttplate Shotgun https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007WFJY3K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Us8oEbY1SF58E

This added length so I had to reduce the spacers. Finally when I patterned it was low, POI can change as length is altered so added cardboard shims on the stock wrapped in self cling fabric to align my eye. The gun fits me very well, I no longer “aim”, just see the bird. The two comments I get are:

- Your shooting has improved so much

- You have the world’s ugliest gun 

The season’s trial has been a great success so I’m going to invest in having the stock professionally modified this spring. 

Edited by WalkedUp

5 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I had a similar problem with my Beretta, but do not like spending money on a whim or reducing the value of the gun needlessly. One of my pals cuts 2” off the stock of all his guns, destroying resale value as he has “short arms”.  I cut spacers using different thicknesses from offcuts of WBP ply to get the length of pull. I then needed some drop so added an adjustable butt pad from Amazon (it was £17 delivered):

Bisley Adjustable Rubber Recoil Butt Pad Stock Shoulder Rifle Buttplate Shotgun https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007WFJY3K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Us8oEbY1SF58E

This added length so I had to reduce the spacers. Finally when I patterned it was low, POI can change as length is altered so added cardboard shims on the stock wrapped in self cling fabric to align my eye. The gun fits me very well, I no longer “aim”, just see the bird. The two comments I get are:

- Your shooting has improved so much

- You have the world’s ugliest gun 

The season’s trial has been a great success so I’m going to invest in having the stock professionally modified this spring. 

Trial and error, do NOT worry what it looks like until you achieve a good fit.

Then pay a good man to make your stock match your measurements and hey presto, good shooting and a nice looking gun.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
SPELLAGE!

I agree TC, I’m not precious over it. It’s funny how many people have been offended by it though. One game shoot a gentleman (friend’s friend) introduced himself to me by stating that my DIY amendments were ridiculous and that every gun he had ever owned fitted him out the box, I pointed out that I struggled as often guns are designed to for short, fat men with no neck and the end of the day he had shot _very_ badly, I resisted temptation to ask about gun fit 😂

I could have gone fully adjustable but would have spent a lifetime tinkering. It has been set for a season and my game shooting went very well. I shoot a lovely straight stock SxS that fits me badly, but only when it is ok for me to miss far more than I hit! 

4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I agree TC, I’m not precious over it. It’s funny how many people have been offended by it though. One game shoot a gentleman (friend’s friend) introduced himself to me by stating that my DIY amendments were ridiculous and that every gun he had ever owned fitted him out the box, I pointed out that I struggled as often guns are designed to for short, fat men with no neck and the end of the day he had shot _very_ badly, I resisted temptation to ask about gun fit 😂

I could have gone fully adjustable but would have spent a lifetime tinkering. It has been set for a season and my game shooting went very well. I shoot a lovely straight stock SxS that fits me badly, but only when it is ok for me to miss far more than I hit! 

A combination of Kellogs Cornflakes packet cardboard and black electrical tape work wonders.:good:

Nice to meet a Numpty who voices his opinion and proves that he shouldn't have bothered!:lol:

I like the fully adjustable option, I can set it try it and as soon as it's ok, put the Allen key away and leave alone. If I shoot poorly I know it's me and not the fit.

As for saying to you its ugly, so long as you don't mind, ask them if they have looked in a mirror. See what they say.

Edited by figgy

5 minutes ago, figgy said:

As for saying to you its ugly, so long as you don't mind, ask them if they have looked in a mirror. See what they say.

Or just say, unlike them you would rather have an ugly gun but a pretty wife.!!

I managed a 15 1/2" LOP on my silver pigeon with a thick rubber recoil pad .

On 09/02/2020 at 16:47, Westward said:

Easy enough. Just buy a Beretta stock spacer. Goes between the pad and the wood. Zillions of them on the Bay.

Beretta can also supply longer screws in case you want to use more than one spacer.  Mine has two spacers taking it out to approx 16".  Took minutes to fit.