kirk Douglas

davewh100

As an old Western fan he was one of my favourites. He was the best Wyatt Warp IMO in (Gunfight at the OK Coral) even better than Val Kilmer when he played the role.

Watched a war film with him in it the other week (Paths of Glory) I think.

They don't make them like that anymore.

RIP Kirk.

Edited by SuperGoose75

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Both played Doc Holliday - both brilliant in the role.

Of course! Doc Holliday is what I meant to say.My mistake. Lancaster and Russell played the role of Wyatt in respective films. I watched both often enough to know the difference.

I agree on (Last train from Gun Hill)also!Loved that movie and had both that and Gunfight at Ok Coral recorded on VHS back in the day and watched them often.

Yeah ''Tombstone'' has become iconic with all the brilliant quotes that was used in the movie!

Both brilliant adaptations of the ''Wild West'' story and from different era's.

I like Val Kilmer in a movie and the role of Doc seemed made for him. He was also very good in (Willow) - Mad Mardigan!

Keven Costner and Dennis Quaid was ok in (Wyatt Earp) and again a different portrayal and type of filming. There have been lots of takes on the story but Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster is as you say two legends and a hard act to follow.

PS Anyone know the name of the movie with Kirk Douglas were he came into a ''Diner'' and ordered eggs and a one armed man picked a fight with him?

It was a Black and White movie I think.

2 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Yeah ''Tombstone'' has become iconic with all the brilliant quotes that was used in the movie!

Both brilliant adaptations of the ''Wild West'' story and from different era's.

I like Val Kilmer in a movie and the role of Doc seemed made for him. He was also very good in (Willow) - Mad Mardigan!

Keven Costner and Dennis Quaid was ok in (Wyatt Earp) and again a different portrayal and type of filming. There have been lots of takes on the story but Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster is as you say two legends and a hard act to follow.

PS Anyone know the name of the movie with Kirk Douglas were he came into a ''Diner'' and ordered eggs and a one armed man picked a fight with him?

It was a Black and White movie I think.

I prefer the Val Kilmer version of Doc, even though I was really impressed with Dennis Quaids version and the amount of weight he lost to play the role. 

The only black and white film I can think of featuring a one armed man fighting in a diner, was 'Bad Day at Black Rock' in which Spencer Tracy was the one armed man and was picked on by Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin.