Lead Acid battery - charge/revival.

12borejimbo

We must all be in this situation at times so reaching out to other members to see what they do. 

I have several sealed lead acid batteries which I have bought over the years. I don't do much decoying in the summer (should do really) but I mostly gho decoying on our game shoot when the season is ended, so about now and will be heading out this Saturday and every Saturday for the next 2 months. 

Each year I go to charge my 12v batteries and they hold no charge so I just buy another one for £30-40 of A1 decoy or something. 

There must be a way of either preventing them for dying by being sat in the shed, or reviving them?

Any tips please?

Jay.

Leaving batteries on a cold stone floor or in a cold environment kills them quickly there isnt much you can do with a sealed battery to my knowledge as you can't change the water in them or have a look at the cell plates. Maybe just put them on a slow trickle charge & hope for the best but keep your eye on them while they are charging and do it in a well ventilated area incase any are leaking. 

You can buy a solar powered trickle charger cheap now so might be worth getting one and popping it onto your new battery after a days decoying 

hello, if your using a sealed battery only 8 times a year then leave in shed through summer and cold winter you cannot expect them not to need charging, saying that batteries should last a few years and have warranty, i will try charging all your batteries, see which are duff, if you buy a new one when not in use leave in doors

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if your using a sealed battery only 8 times a year then leave in shed through summer and cold winter you cannot expect them not to need charging, saying that batteries should last a few years and have warranty, i will try charging all your batteries, see which are duff, if you buy a new one when not in use leave in doors

note i use a very small car battery, 

My batteries, when left for a long time, are connected to trickle chargers, which keep them in good condition. The chargers are connected to a timer, and I usually allow a 1-2hr trickle charge per day. The chargers are also very cheap to run.

These are what I've used for a few years:  Ebay # 161550382594

Rig up a discharge, two wires, solder in a low watt bulb. Wait till light goes out, recharge. Once every few weeks or when you remember. Works for me. I also store on a couple of thicknesses of carpet.

If you know anyone who has a motability scooter or wheelchair. My wife is disabled and has two, lightweight for lifting into car, heavier for street use. These are 24v, they use 2 x 12v bats. Usually last 2 - 3 years. When the batteries are no longer strong enough to power her chair they're discarded. Or rather recharged once a month taken to my daughters allotment and used for 12v lighting and power in the shed, or for a short quick 240v with an inverter.

They are also cheaper to buy in the first place from motability outlets or Ebay. 

I don't have anything 12v for decoys yet so no idea how long they would last. Sure one of you techy type guys would know from the amppage v wattage and so. 

I have a couple of mobility scooter 7AH batteries which last half a day easily, they are used for afternoon sessions, I also have a 14AH battery which lasts all day.

Lead acid batteries shouldn't be stored flat and should be topped up every 3 months or so. If your charger doesn't display the voltage when fully charged you can buy a digital multi-meter from Amazon for a tenner. You are looking for a minimum of 12.7V before you start. A reading of 12.4V for instance, indicates that it is partially charged and 11.9 indicates that it is flat (according to the interweb.)

I just bought one of these, use the 20V setting for checking a 12V battery

Capture.PNG.02927c0a638daa5b4e773945caccd3c5.PNG

Capture.PNG.e8747d98f5d461b09153ee209eb5d594.PNG

But a cheap 18v 4amp solar panel an trickle charge them all the time not in use make sure to put a charge controller on as not to boil them if it’s a good summer  if you have half a dozen batteries you can link them all and once you have your set up it doesn’t cost any extra to charge them