Firearm Renewal

My FAC/Shotgun licences expire May 20th. South Wales Police are bringing in the GP pro forma  from April 1st. My renewal application was sent off a few days ago, but guess what? it was returned today stating that they will not proceed with it until they get the GP pro forma returned. I've just contacted my GP surgery, only to be told that they 'don't do this anymore'! The Practice Manager had gone home, and I have to phone her tomorrow morning to find out why, and also, to let he know that I want to see my medical records. My next step will be that I go through BASC and their panel of GP's, or, depending on the charge for this, pay the £50 flat fee for somone (I can't remember who) to do this for me. S.W. Police, like other's have stated that without the pro forma returned, they will not proceed with my application!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

My FAC/Shotgun licences expire May 20th. South Wales Police are bringing in the GP pro forma  from April 1st. My renewal application was sent off a few days ago, but guess what? it was returned today stating that they will not proceed with it until they get the GP pro forma returned. I've just contacted my GP surgery, only to be told that they 'don't do this anymore'! The Practice Manager had gone home, and I have to phone her tomorrow morning to find out why, and also, to let he know that I want to see my medical records. My next step will be that I go through BASC and their panel of GP's, or, depending on the charge for this, pay the £50 flat fee for somone (I can't remember who) to do this for me. S.W. Police, like other's have stated that without the pro forma returned, they will not proceed with my application!

Outrageous! They won’t introduce the pro former letter until April fools day.....but they are insisting you provide one with your application in February? Two months before they exist??........ I would be asking BASC to look into this with SW police and advise!

So you apply in April (when the pro former letter is available!) for renewal in May?.....You would not be able to comply with the polices arbitrarily imposed deadline for getting your renewal application in!

bloody ridiculous!

Edited by panoma1

I've been ringing around the local GP surgeries today (recently moved). 

I've only manged to get through to three.

1 wasn't taking new patients 

1 would do the letter and the fee would be £145

1 would do the letter and the fee (as it stands, they did say it could change) would be £0

Guess which surgery I'm signing up to.

Good luck with yours.

Edited by Newbie to this

I am one of those who has to declare a historical medical ailment which occurred over 25 years ago, with no reoccurrence.
My last renewal ( a couple of years ago )  was processed with no mention of a GP; if it gets to the stage I am compelled to pay for a GP’s report I will seriously consider  cancelling my shooting organisation sub’s. I can’t see the point in paying both.

I object to paying a compulsory fee for something which will have absolutely no effect on a perceived problem which doesn’t exist, but I object even more to paying for a lack of representation. 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

The letter accompanying these new Pro Forma forms actually state that they are not part of the HO requirements for grant / renewal so should be an easy challenge for the BASC with it's millions of £ "fighting fund"?

if it was that easy it would have been done a year ago.

Can't understand why it's needed for renewal, grant maybe. 

If you have either firearms or shotgun your medical records are flagged and the GP has to report it to the police if you present with a problem. So why the need for the countersigned records? 

If you don't present then your GP won't know anyway. 

I doubt anyone who reasoned this out would be granted a licence!

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Outrageous! They won’t introduce the pro former letter until April fools day.....but they are insisting you provide one with your application in February? Two months before they exist??........ I would be asking BASC to look into this with SW police and advise!

So you apply in April (when the pro former letter is available!) for renewal in May?.....You would not be able to comply with the polices arbitrarily imposed deadline for getting your renewal application in!

bloody ridiculous!

The Pro Forma is available to download from 15th February. April 1st is when South Wales Police are introducing the rule. IF a licence expires before that date, then no GP pro forma is required. My coterminous expires May 20th, which is why I have to provide one.

58 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Can't understand why it's needed for renewal, grant maybe. 

If you have either firearms or shotgun your medical records are flagged and the GP has to report it to the police if you present with a problem. So why the need for the countersigned records? 

If you don't present then your GP won't know anyway. 

I doubt anyone who reasoned this out would be granted a licence!

Because in the last five years, a person could have suffered, or is suffering with some form of mental health, and until a GP Pro Forma is filled in, there won't be anything flagged on medical records. My GP probably doesn't even know I have an FAC/Shotgun licence/s.

What I don't agree with is the fact that I have to have two referee's again, who know me, even though this renewal application is just the latest of many (my first FAC was in 1983, and shotgun 1973)

UPDATE:

I spoke with the practice manager at my GP surgery earlier, and she informed me that on the advice of the Welsh Medical Council, they are not willing to fill in the Pro Forma. I then contacted BASC who has givein me a website address to get this form completed, and also, I have just requested a full copy of my medical records (free of charge) from my GP surgery. The charge for signing the Pro Forma is £50, which is the same as MedCert.

33 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

I spoke with the practice manager at my GP surgery earlier, and she informed me that on the advice of the Welsh Medical Council, they are not willing to fill in the Pro Forma. I then contacted BASC who has givein me a website address to get this form completed, and also, I have just requested a full copy of my medical records (free of charge) from my GP surgery. The charge for signing the Pro Forma is £50, which is the same as MedCert.

Hopefully it all works out for you.

48 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

As long as you get sorted!:good:

I typed in the wrong website address earlier, so have removed my post. I have requested my medical records and as soon as I get them (waiting time up to a month, but usually quicker) I'll be sending them off the BASC 'approved' doctor.

You would think that copying all your records under GDPR potentially could take longer and be more inconvenient for your GP practice to do than actually doing the police report.

And the GP you are sending your records to, with again potentially lots of others doing likewise as a practicing GP must have time on his hands yet they all claim they are overworked.

All getting very silly now.

15 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

You would think that copying all your records under GDPR potentially could take longer and be more inconvenient for your GP practice to do than actually doing the police report.

And the GP you are sending your records to, with again potentially lots of others doing likewise as a practicing GP must have time on his hands yet they all claim they are overworked.

All getting very silly now.

Through BASC, the GP promised a one week turnaround.

20 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Because in the last five years, a person could have suffered, or is suffering with some form of mental health, and until a GP Pro Forma is filled in, there won't be anything flagged on medical records. My GP probably doesn't even know I have an FAC/Shotgun licence/s.

BUT,

how will the GP know if you haven't seen them in this time to report the illness ??? 

It makes not a jot of difference what they charge if they dont know. 

6 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Through BASC, the GP promised a one week turnaround.

So the BASC GP is charging for this service? You pay BASC for membership and their GP charges on top of that? Some GP's won't do it at all, but mine doesn't charge anything! 

6 minutes ago, Dougy said:

BUT,

how will the GP know if you haven't seen them in this time to report the illness ??? 

It makes not a jot of difference what they charge if they dont know. 

Exactly. Why would any shooter risk going to see their GP if they thought they may lose their tickets?