Firearm Renewal

UPDATE:

Well, I had some good news this morning. I had a text message asking me to contact the firearms department (all working from home) to discuss my renewal application. I phoned this morning and spoke to a really nice FEO. The only thing he wasn't sure about was why I requested 'another' .308 moderator, when I already had one. But then he could see that I was using it for my .243, and I also explained that the 308 rifle I want to purchase, comes as a package, including a moderator. He also said that the permission letter I obtained to go stalking, was okay. He said that he is now finalising everything ready for the Chief Constable's signature, and because of the 'lockdown', I won't be getting a visit (so the HobNob biscuits are now mine!)

My certificate expires May 20th, and my renewal (coterminous) application was send it at the end of February. Excellent service again by S.Wales police, especially now with all the upheaval etc due to the lockdown.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

I seem to recall reading something to the effect that renewals can be delayed during this crisis - could anyone steer me to that post? My renewal is in November.

I'll try a search for it too.

I was informed by S.W. police that there will be an extension added to certificates if they expire after April 1st, but you are advised to get your renewal application sent in asap. 

7 minutes ago, Gonk said:

GMP have told me to put my guns into storage , mine run out 19th this month. 

Are RFD's still open for business? And have you checked if some on here feel that would be essential travel. :)

Edited by Dave-G

West Mercia sent section 7's  dated for 12 months with them also a letter saying these are sent out as forward planning due to Covid19 and my renewals may still be processed in time but just incase to stock up on ammo as you cant buy ammo on a section 7.

Renewals sent in about 3 weeks ago and certs both expire end of June.

Think they have done well with this considering how busy they are at the best of times.

Mick

Are RFD's still open for business? And have you checked if some on here feel that would be essential travel. :)

ive found one who can help, luckily ! I suppose I've been told to do it if I get stopped. I'd rather not obviously but not really for an option , I was hoping for phone renewal as nothing's changed. 

On 02/04/2020 at 13:07, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

Well, I had some good news this morning. I had a text message asking me to contact the firearms department (all working from home) to discuss my renewal application. I phoned this morning and spoke to a really nice FEO. The only thing he wasn't sure about was why I requested 'another' .308 moderator, when I already had one. But then he could see that I was using it for my .243, and I also explained that the 308 rifle I want to purchase, comes as a package, including a moderator. He also said that the permission letter I obtained to go stalking, was okay. He said that he is now finalising everything ready for the Chief Constable's signature, and because of the 'lockdown', I won't be getting a visit (so the HobNob biscuits are now mine!)

My certificate expires May 20th, and my renewal (coterminous) application was send it at the end of February. Excellent service again by S.Wales police, especially now with all the upheaval etc due to the lockdown.

Fantastic news Stephen you sorted for another 5 yrs 👍

GMP have told me to put my guns into storage , mine run out 19th this month. 

A mate's cert runs out next week. He had a letter this morning extending his cert for a couple of months. It mentioned that he had sent his renewal in early, as requested.

On 02/04/2020 at 13:07, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

Good News Steve. Essex also renewed mine over the phone last Thursday, my ticket runs out on 8th May. I got a usual questions about any changes and some historial confusion which was used as a potential catch me out. The FEO asked me about the circumstances of my refereal for CBT, congratuated me for getting help and approved my renewall!

Only problem is my guns are currently in storage and the RFD is closed, I therefore have nothing to clean whilst I'm working for home.

UPDATE 2

I had a text message yesterday from the firearms department, stating that my renewal application (coterminous) has been processed/completed. Also, I won't be getting the new certificates before the other's expire (May 20th) due to them working from home etc. I'm very pleased with the service from South Wales Police. I'm now planning on ordering (if possible) my new rifle package and have it sent to my RFD friend, who will keep it for me until such time I can go and collect it. It's a bit annoying with the wait, but then I can't use the rifle, or my other's anyway.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

After being told by the FEO that house calls were now not going ahead because of Covid 19, I was in bed this morning after coming off a night shift, and my wife informed me that a police officer from my local station phoned to say that he would like to pop up to check my security etc. No problem there, and he called at 3pm. A really nice guy who admitted that he knew nothing about firearms etc. He checked (just looked) at my 4 cabinets and asked me to read off the serial numbers of my rifles/shotguns. All sorted there, and then he asked me what does AOLQ stand for. I told him, and he said 'great'. I had a really good chat with him about the various calibres I own, and he appeared interested. He said 'basically, it's all about us (the police) covering our ****'s, and that you are not a raving loony, pointing the guns at my face and groin area, as they are my two favourite parts'. 😊

Just waiting for my new certificates to come through now, which he couldn't say when.