Just bought a Beretta A302 any advice?

Wingman

Hi All

Picked up a beauty of a Beretta semi auto today a near mint A302. It seems to operate somewhat differently to the Remington and Brownings I am used to (ie the bolt doesn't seem to lock back unless a little button on the feed ramp is pushed). Can anyone give me a quick few pointers on how to use it or point me in the direction of a user's manual?

Planning to strip it down and give it a good cleaning tomorrow so again  any tips would be very gratefully received!

I have just rebuilt one that I bought for £100, a bit of welding, a few new bits and it is as good as new  ?  PM me if you have any questions about them. You should be able to download the manual from Beretta's website. I have a 'blow up' parts sheet for the 303, but apart from some minor alterations, they are identical.

Forgot to say, it is probably the best auto you could own. I know, I have owned most makes out there.

Edited by Westley

I would change the 'recoil spring', the one down the stock tube. If that is weak, it can cause the bolt to slam into the rear of the action and that usually causes damage to the bolt. Do NOT let anyone tell you that spring is the same as the 391, it most certainly isn't. The 301/2/3 spring is some 3" longer. I bought 2 from the e-store last year for around £15. The damaged bolt was one of the problems with my cheapo 302, I managed to have it welded. 

Check that the gas piston and its housing are clean and the central bush isn,t too worn. I use welding anti-spatter spray to stop the carbon deposits getting too hard to remove. Have a careful poke through the gas bleed orifice into the barrel to keep that  clean too. If there is any slackness in the fore-end where it meets the action a few small pieces of tape,,,or even better,,sticky backed neoprene  carefully placed will stop it feeling loose. Finally, make sure that the magazine tube has the limiting crimp on it,,demonstrating that it is indeed a 3 shot. I speak from experience !

5 hours ago, figgy said:

You asked for advice, sell it quick sharp and buy a Benelli. 😋😂😂

Send it to a good gunsmith like Demonwolf 4444 on here and get it fully serviced and then enjoy it 

Cheers figgy

Not going to sell it as been after one for a while although I quite fancy an M2. Doesn't need any gunsmith attention at the moment as I spent the morning stripping it down and it's as clean as a whistle,  so will enjoy shooting it for  now!

Edited by Wingman

I had a M2 good gun but kicked me around a bit, shoulder and neck damage from past injuries.

Now have the Super Sport, best semi automatic I've shot. I have a Maxus 31/2" for fowling that's ok.

A good used Rafaello SuperSport is worth a try when your ready.

On 06/02/2020 at 19:25, Westley said:

The 301/2/3 spring is some 3" longer. I bought 2 from the e-store last year for around £15. 

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but could you tell me the dimensions of this spring? Relaxed length, outside diameter and coils per (inch or centimetre) and wire diameter. I only ask as I am looking to source a replacement for my Ithaca M51 (which incidentally suffers catastrophic bolt carrier damage if the spring and buffers are not 100%)

cheers

Roland

Edited by impala59

6 hours ago, impala59 said:

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but could you tell me the dimensions of this spring? Relaxed length, outside diameter and coils per (inch or centimetre) and wire diameter. I only ask as I am looking to source a replacement for my Ithaca M51 (which incidentally suffers catastrophic bolt carrier damage if the spring and buffers are not 100%)

cheers

Roland

I can try and measure it, but, I do not have anything more accurate than a tape measure  !  Maybe the OP 'Button' can post you his old spring when he fits the new one in the very near future  ?