Well, I might be extending my drive to work by 50 minutes.

NoBodyImportant

The owner of the farm beside mine popped in a while back to introduce himself. Happened to mentioned he is retiring in February of 2021 and was wanting to move back home to take care of his parents.   I told him to let me know if he gets serious.  He popped in again and told me to if I get my money right between now and February  of next year to let him know.  So I have been moving money around and should pay my farm off in 4 months.  Now for the exciting part.  The wife is on board with selling our city house to fund a barnominum.   It will be a hour drive to work everyday but I really like it out there and I can go on a 3 day work week if I want.  The new farm is only 20 acres but ten of it is fenced with a barn, greenhouse, and single wide trailer.  So with my land I will have 45-50 acres and I can live in the single wide while I build. Its beside severally thousand acres of state park. The 480 acres on the other side of me has a 100 year logging lease so it will be vacant until I’m dead.  I go up on the weekends and sometimes don’t hear a car go by for two days.  I could totally live there full time.   Nothing is set in stone but it looks like it’s going to work out.  

This life is not a rehearsal. Grasp the nettle as we say over here and buy it.  Where I live at the moment came up for sale back in 1960 for £6000 ($8000) my father had half that amount in the bank but was in his late 50s and could not get a mortgage. His boss looked at it and said, "Buy it Albert" and a well healed relative backed him for the other three. Back then that was a huge decision, an amount some would consider spending on a shotgun today but three thousand pounds in 1960 was a lot of dosh.  I am VERY lucky to have been the only son and it came to me on my fathers death.  My wife and I appreciate it every day we wake up.

Twelve and a half acres of our own, orchard and wood and a 400yr old farmhouse to live in, what is not to like.  We try every year to invite friends for dinners, lunches and barbies so we can share.  Yes, go for it and ENJOY !!!

Can recall many years ago a daytime t.v. programme about property development ,the lady presenter asked an old country boy in Norfolk how he could be so sure of making a profit on a development of holiday homes he was building given the large outlay .

He bent down ,picked up a handful of soil ,stood up and while he was letting the soil slowly fall to the ground said " They don't make this anymore missy "

Good luck with your future plans sir .

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

He missed out a 'd'

Barndominium.

A portmanteau of Barn and Condominium.  Or, on this side of the Atlantic, a barn and a flat.  Cracking idea.

Yes sorry,  over hear steel is really cheap at the moment.  So out in the country with little to no building code you are seeing these huge industrial steel barns being put up for housing.  You get about 3 to 4 times the square feet for the money.  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2iKKjZzTgg0Jg4IdilClimage.jpeg.7aca9b324c2280ef71178dc4153b7bbb.jpeg

af1-1024x683.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Sounds great dont hesitate, but whats a barnominum ?

Huge steel industrial barns that you can have built for dirt cheap.  Then you finish them out as a house/ work shop.   It’s a newer thing that is going on in the countryside wear building codes are relaxed.  It’s a way to house lower income people at affordable price.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

From the quotes I’m getting I can get a 30x 100ft with 18 foot walled steel building erected for about 15-18k.  About 5k for concrete pad.  Then I have a weather tight structure to build out like I want.  I would do half as a home and half as workspace.  I did get this barn behind my house erected a few years ago for $8,000 USD.  It’s 24x44 with 16 ft ceiling in the middle with 8ft side walls.  The delivered and built it in one day.   pcmXYoE.jpg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

He missed out a 'd'

Barndominium.

A portmanteau of Barn and Condominium.  Or, on this side of the Atlantic, a barn and a flat.  Cracking idea.

Cheers

44 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Yes sorry,  over hear steel is really cheap at the moment.  So out in the country with little to no building code you are seeing these huge industrial steel barns being put up for housing.  You get about 3 to 4 times the square feet for the money.  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2iKKjZzTgg0Jg4IdilClimage.jpeg.7aca9b324c2280ef71178dc4153b7bbb.jpeg

af1-1024x683.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Huge steel industrial barns that you can have built for dirt cheap.  Then you finish them out as a house/ work shop.   It’s a newer thing that is going on in the countryside wear building codes are relaxed.  It’s a way to house lower income people at affordable price.  

That definitely looks like a plan... very nice