Another Day

JTaylor91

Well today I headed out just before the fog lifted for another day.

Upon arrival there was a couple of hundred birds down on some drilled rape. There was very little in the way of cover with a hedge over the other side of a ditch or a wind turbine, I’m not sure if anybody has been up close to one of those things but they are mental when they’re going some. So I opted to set up by the ditch. Pretty much the same story as yesterday. No real urgency for the birds to get back to the field. I could see them milking around the field I was yesterday afternoon. After a while I moved the hide over the ditch and pitched up next to a gap in the hedge. It wasn’t ideal as it was a steep slope but I flattened down a patch. This seemed to prove more successful with greater numbers committing to the pattern. Two things I have learnt, I believe I need some movement in the pattern as many birds were just passing it by. Second I need more nets but I already knew this and some were delivered today while I was out. 

I also need a special stool like JDogs to save my legs.

Bagged 12 so better than yesterday. Also better than sitting in the house.

This is me wearing the net, I’m not sure why I’m bothering with a hide at all, the neighbours also saw me through the window and now think I’m a fruit loop.

8DB9A23C-9723-4D7C-99B9-891F826F6454.jpeg

18 minutes ago, motty said:

Just a couple of points.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you always need some kind of cover to build a hide against.

I wouldn't have referred to your field as being "drilled rape". Sorry for being pedantic!

Have you not seen the attached photo? I no longer need a hide at all. 😂