Rewilding

McSpredder

From today’s Scotsman: 

The world’s first rewilding centre is being set up near Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands ......  ......  As well as an all-weather visitor centre with a café and events space, it will provide child-friendly forest experiences and accessible trails as well as more challenging walks.  A range of events and experiences for visitors to the area and groups with specific needs – such as those with physical or learning disabilities, families, schools and other groups - will also be on offer.”

If construction of visitor centres, cafés and events spaces in the Scottish countryside is now regarded as rewilding, it makes me wonder whether the oxymorons will be allowed to roam freely, or kept in a special enclosure.

What an utter load of rubbish.  The only true way to rewild is to take a large piece of property and fence it off to prevent any humans entry.  The animals, insects birds etc etc can then do their thing unhindered.  Introduce humans and the area is no longer wild.   Just take a walk through any piece of countryside open to the general public and it is devastated.

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Money, quite simply someone has seen the opportunity to make lots!

I am sure you have hit the nail on the head.

1 hour ago, McSpredder said:

From today’s Scotsman: 

The world’s first rewilding centre is being set up near Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands ......  ......  As well as an all-weather visitor centre with a café and events space, it will provide child-friendly forest experiences and accessible trails as well as more challenging walks.  A range of events and experiences for visitors to the area and groups with specific needs – such as those with physical or learning disabilities, families, schools and other groups - will also be on offer.”

If construction of visitor centres, cafés and events spaces in the Scottish countryside is now regarded as rewilding, it makes me wonder whether the oxymorons will be allowed to roam freely, or kept in a special enclosure.

I dont have a problem with country parks but that is simply a nonsense.. I wonder if thats the plan for all of Scotlands moorlands

money making racket      build it they will come       cars / litter / cafes /gift shops / ice cream vans/  car parks / dogs running off leads  anything on the ground is fair game  /  digging out and building footpaths / trails  / playgrounds      will not be good for wildlife  no more habitat management  👎     no more country sports 

On 07/02/2020 at 19:53, McSpredder said:

From today’s Scotsman: 

Sounds more like the visitors centers we have on Cannock Chase. 

On 07/02/2020 at 21:56, islandgun said:

I dont have a problem with country parks but that is simply a nonsense.. I wonder if thats the plan for all of Scotlands moorlands

I wonder if the other shoe has dropped with the Scandinavian "entrepreneur" who just wants to save the world?... Maybe the Scots handing over acre after acre to a businessman might not be their best idea yet. I may just be cynical though

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

I wonder if the other shoe has dropped with the Scandinavian "entrepreneur" who just wants to save the world?... Maybe the Scots handing over acre after acre to a businessman might not be their best idea yet. I may just be cynical though

The largest landowner in Scotland ? a grand schemer, you can only hope his advisers are the real deal..

http://wildland.scot/about-us/