Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
McSpredder

Rewilding

Recommended Posts

From today’s Scotsman: 

The world’s first rewilding centre is being set up near Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands ......  ......  As well as an all-weather visitor centre with a café and events space, it will provide child-friendly forest experiences and accessible trails as well as more challenging walks.  A range of events and experiences for visitors to the area and groups with specific needs – such as those with physical or learning disabilities, families, schools and other groups - will also be on offer.”

If construction of visitor centres, cafés and events spaces in the Scottish countryside is now regarded as rewilding, it makes me wonder whether the oxymorons will be allowed to roam freely, or kept in a special enclosure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that is what passes for rewinding then I’m afraid they are not the first , legoland in Windsor beat them years ago !!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an utter load of rubbish.  The only true way to rewild is to take a large piece of property and fence it off to prevent any humans entry.  The animals, insects birds etc etc can then do their thing unhindered.  Introduce humans and the area is no longer wild.   Just take a walk through any piece of countryside open to the general public and it is devastated.

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Money, quite simply someone has seen the opportunity to make lots!

I am sure you have hit the nail on the head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McSpredder said:

From today’s Scotsman: 

The world’s first rewilding centre is being set up near Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands ......  ......  As well as an all-weather visitor centre with a café and events space, it will provide child-friendly forest experiences and accessible trails as well as more challenging walks.  A range of events and experiences for visitors to the area and groups with specific needs – such as those with physical or learning disabilities, families, schools and other groups - will also be on offer.”

If construction of visitor centres, cafés and events spaces in the Scottish countryside is now regarded as rewilding, it makes me wonder whether the oxymorons will be allowed to roam freely, or kept in a special enclosure.

I dont have a problem with country parks but that is simply a nonsense.. I wonder if thats the plan for all of Scotlands moorlands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely if they are re Wilding then will the kids walk among the wolves and lynx.  Building a hut isn't re Wilding, it's the complete opposite.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

money making racket      build it they will come       cars / litter / cafes /gift shops / ice cream vans/  car parks / dogs running off leads  anything on the ground is fair game  /  digging out and building footpaths / trails  / playgrounds      will not be good for wildlife  no more habitat management  👎     no more country sports 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All about leisure and money now, throw in a bit of re-wilding, job done for crackpot funding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, simonm said:

Sounds a bit like Jurassic Park 😀

That's the Nessie centre on banks if the loch. 😂

Edited by Stonepark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2020 at 19:53, McSpredder said:

From today’s Scotsman: 

The world’s first rewilding centre is being set up near Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands ......  ......  As well as an all-weather visitor centre with a café and events space, it will provide child-friendly forest experiences and accessible trails as well as more challenging walks.  A range of events and experiences for visitors to the area and groups with specific needs – such as those with physical or learning disabilities, families, schools and other groups - will also be on offer.”

If construction of visitor centres, cafés and events spaces in the Scottish countryside is now regarded as rewilding, it makes me wonder whether the oxymorons will be allowed to roam freely, or kept in a special enclosure.

Sounds more like the visitors centers we have on Cannock Chase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly chuck up a McDonald's as that's part of wild britain on a friday or Saturday night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2020 at 21:56, islandgun said:

I dont have a problem with country parks but that is simply a nonsense.. I wonder if thats the plan for all of Scotlands moorlands

I wonder if the other shoe has dropped with the Scandinavian "entrepreneur" who just wants to save the world?... Maybe the Scots handing over acre after acre to a businessman might not be their best idea yet. I may just be cynical though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

I wonder if the other shoe has dropped with the Scandinavian "entrepreneur" who just wants to save the world?... Maybe the Scots handing over acre after acre to a businessman might not be their best idea yet. I may just be cynical though

The largest landowner in Scotland ? a grand schemer, you can only hope his advisers are the real deal..

http://wildland.scot/about-us/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2020 at 16:47, manthing said:

Sounds more like the visitors centers we have on Cannock Chase. 

More money forthcoming from car park charges and mountain biking maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...