Is this a sign of getting old?

DoolinDalton

Most nights, if not all, I usually click on Youtube and watch vids related to either shooting (obviously) and / or politics ( atm, mainly Brexit and the aftermath!).

Approx 30 minutes ago, as usually happens , a vid appears in the side bar which arouses your curiosity and also some fond memories.  Tonight it just so happened to be Batman, the series and movie!  Who on this forum can't say they didn't enjoy the Batman series...with him and Robin fighting dastardly criminals....and defending Gotham city against the Penguin, the Joker, the Riddler and, of course, the sexy Catwoman!  Yeh, it was all tongue in cheek acting but it was entertaining, imo.  The vids that I watched were mainly Adam West and Burt Ward talking about the series and then the movie after series 1.  I must admit that I had tears in my eyes, reminiscing over a few series, even though I was a toddler then....maybe they re-ran the whole lot a few years later, when I 'understood' them a bit better!  Is it me realising that it was so long ago that this happened and then a few brain cells calculate how old I actually am, rather than me thinking that I'm still 21?  I also get emotional when watching the Lone Ranger....but it's the recent movie!  Work that one out?    Why is it that we enjoy the past?  Do we feel secure....as we (hopefully) did when we were children?   Any series / movies generate a tear or two in your eyes, gals and guys? If so, please share the tears....and of course, the irreplacable memories!      

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

It takes you back to those stress free days of childhood , the theme song from happy days always takes me back to Friday teatime , school was over for the weekend,  and my mom was cooking chips for tea.

😃  That would be Dixon of Dock green and Wagon Train for me then

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

It takes you back to those stress free days of childhood , the theme song from happy days always takes me back to Friday teatime , school was over for the weekend,  and my mom was cooking chips for tea.

hello, i use to rib my sons on what we had for sunday afternoon tea in our house, brown bread and winkles !!!!!!!!!!! 

17 minutes ago, islandgun said:

😃  That would be Dixon of Dock green and Wagon Train for me then

ABC Minors, Flash Gordon films, TV would be Casey Jones, Corky the circus boy (Micky Dolenz, later a member of the Monkeys).

How is it I can remember all of that but not where I put my watch yesterday? Now that's a sign of getting old !

I remember the Batman series. I had to go through the hedge to a neighbours to watch it as they had a BBC2 aerial and we didn’t! 

I also remember sharing a bath in front of the fire with the girl from next door; my Dad would bring the galvanised monster in on bath nights from where it hung on the coal house wall and fill it with steaming hot water. 😀

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

I remember the Batman series. I had to go through the hedge to a neighbours to watch it as they had a BBC2 aerial and we didn’t! 

I also remember sharing a bath in front of the fire with the girl from next door; my Dad would bring the galvanised monster in on bath nights from where it hung on the coal house wall and fill it with steaming hot water. 😀

Please tell me you weren't  18 .😀

Yes it's a sign of getting old. I can loose hours in YouTube. As you stated recommendations come up and into the wormhole you go.

Burt Ward and Adam West were Batman to me in the 70's. The original Lone Ranger with his red skin tinge cuprinol for a tan. The modern one is pap.

Don't for get lassie and flipper along with Skippy if your going nostalgic. Carry on films and that era films for the cars shops and houses of my childhood.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i use to rib my sons on what we had for sunday afternoon tea in our house, brown bread and winkles !!!!!!!!!!! 

I wasn't into all the Batman and cowboy film's , mainly we didn't go to the cinema much and we didn't have a telly till a bit later on in life .

But Winkles , Yes we loved them , I would go down our road to one of the fishermen  who sold them from his front window , if we were in the money we would buy a pint , if not a half a pint , these would go in a bowl and out come the big darning needle , a quick stab and twist and there you have it , Lovely. 

Anyone remember the Cisco kid and his sidekick Pancho from the 50’s?......And Muffin the Mule? I remember my brother and myself nipping around to Mrs Bollards house (a lovely old, spinster lady, all black clothes and aspidistras!) a few doors away from us....to watch......she was the first one I knew to have a TV in the area!! 

I remember all the programmes mentioned but it is the original Lone Ranger series which makes me emotional every time. I only have to hear the opening music and a shiver runs down my spine every time. It is still my favourite music and I want it played at my funeral whilst I go up the flue. 

When a 50" TV referred to the cabinet, We were one of the first in our road to get one and as kids we used to sit in rows in silence, as the wagons pulled into circles and the cowboys pulled off amazing shots from horseback...I wonder if this played part in my interest in all things guns

original.jpg.444504328d72dd5232e2d54d952d754b.jpg

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I remember all the programmes mentioned but it is the original Lone Ranger series which makes me emotional every time. I only have to hear the opening music and a shiver runs down my spine every time. It is still my favourite music and I want it played at my funeral whilst I go up the flue. 

OPENING MUSIC OF IVANHOE ROBIN HOOD AND THE LONE RANGER always sung in the playground while riding pretend horses , no batteries required . 

4 hours ago, London Best said:

Rossini`s William Tell overture. Good bit of rousing music that

My funeral music will be `Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye` by Gracie Fields and of course `Always look on the bright side of life` by Monty Python.

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

I wasn't into all the Batman and cowboy film's , mainly we didn't go to the cinema much and we didn't have a telly till a bit later on in life .

But Winkles , Yes we loved them , I would go down our road to one of the fishermen  who sold them from his front window , if we were in the money we would buy a pint , if not a half a pint , these would go in a bowl and out come the big darning needle , a quick stab and twist and there you have it , Lovely. 

It was shrimps for us. On a Sunday my brother and I would go down the beach with our large home made shrimp nets to get shrimps for Sunday tea. That was sometime after attending Sunday school in the morning depending on the time of low tide. Both of which were compulsory tasks for us. I won`t say which we preferred and often bunked off attending. 

OB