Well I never - Aldi frozen curry

bruno22rf

Tried the £1.29 Aldi frozen Chicken Tikka Masala a couple of weeks back and I am amazed at how good they really are - I add a couple of frozen Indian Snacks (Samosa's, Bhaji's ) and can enjoy a brilliant Indian meal for under £2. Not very spicy but a touch of Hot Mango Chutney or just Tabasco sauce soon sorts that out. I'm not a massive eater and one portion fills me but even if you ate 2 the cost would still be under £3.50 - about what you would pay for the rice alone at a takeaway.

Ha ha I like a little heat but not pain.

When warm food feels like it's still bubbling hot that's me at end of my comfort zone. Can't taste anything after that.

Just how hot is volcanic Morrisons curry, I am sure I read on here long ago mixed reports. Jalfreizi is usually as hot as I eat. 

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ha ha I like a little heat but not pain.

When warm food feels like it's still bubbling hot that's me at end of my comfort zone. Can't taste anything after that.

Just how hot is volcanic Morrisons curry, I am sure I read on here long ago mixed reports. Jalfreizi is usually as hot as I eat. 

I regard it as hot, makes my nose run and I sweat quite a bit, very nice though.

Hotter than a Vindaloo and getting on towards a Phall.

Go on, try one!

My brother in law tried a Phall at a restaurant in Bicester a few years back - now neither of us were girly where it comes to heat and we both worked part time at another restaurant where we had a bet with the head chef that he could not cook anything so hot that we couldn't eat it (he never did) but this Phall was deadly and we seriously considered calling an Ambulance at the time - he was sweating profusely, shaking and the veins on his head were so pronounced that they looked like he had wiring under his skin.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Do you only have the frozen ones? 

I grabbed two curries from ALDI this evening as was short of time, the Gf had the chicken korma and I had the tikka masala with a side of Bombay potatoes. 

I was very surprised with how good it was.

Hardly bother with a takeaway these days as the quality of this sort of meal has got better and the prices have dropped.

On 09/02/2020 at 08:46, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes they are good value for money.

I find the Iceland curry and chinese takeaway style meals better though.

They should be authentic, there's a good chance the chicken came from Thailand. Iceland bang on about their environmental credentials with regards to palm oil,  but they don't seem to mind carting meat from the other side of the world. Sorry for straying off topic. 

I avoid supermarket curries, either frozen or ready meals, for one simple reason. They give me heartburn. Restaurant take aways do not. So, I wonder whether it's shelf life preservatives or something in them which is not used in restaurant / take away curry houses?

1 minute ago, Bobba said:

I avoid supermarket curries, either frozen or ready meals, for one simple reason. They give me heartburn. Restaurant take aways do not. So, I wonder whether it's shelf life preservatives or something in them which is not used in restaurant / take away curry houses?

Or it could be you!

I do not get the heartburn from either cheap shop ready meal curries, takeaways or home cooked versions.