Jump to content

Well I never - Aldi frozen curry


Recommended Posts

Tried the £1.29 Aldi frozen Chicken Tikka Masala a couple of weeks back and I am amazed at how good they really are - I add a couple of frozen Indian Snacks (Samosa's, Bhaji's ) and can enjoy a brilliant Indian meal for under £2. Not very spicy but a touch of Hot Mango Chutney or just Tabasco sauce soon sorts that out. I'm not a massive eater and one portion fills me but even if you ate 2 the cost would still be under £3.50 - about what you would pay for the rice alone at a takeaway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha I like a little heat but not pain.

When warm food feels like it's still bubbling hot that's me at end of my comfort zone. Can't taste anything after that.

Just how hot is volcanic Morrisons curry, I am sure I read on here long ago mixed reports. Jalfreizi is usually as hot as I eat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ha ha I like a little heat but not pain.

When warm food feels like it's still bubbling hot that's me at end of my comfort zone. Can't taste anything after that.

Just how hot is volcanic Morrisons curry, I am sure I read on here long ago mixed reports. Jalfreizi is usually as hot as I eat. 

I regard it as hot, makes my nose run and I sweat quite a bit, very nice though.

Hotter than a Vindaloo and getting on towards a Phall.

Go on, try one!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother in law tried a Phall at a restaurant in Bicester a few years back - now neither of us were girly where it comes to heat and we both worked part time at another restaurant where we had a bet with the head chef that he could not cook anything so hot that we couldn't eat it (he never did) but this Phall was deadly and we seriously considered calling an Ambulance at the time - he was sweating profusely, shaking and the veins on his head were so pronounced that they looked like he had wiring under his skin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I do, mouth pain and ring sting.

I have no intention of feeling like Gordon the Gopher for eating a volcanic curry.

Saying that I'm going to grow some Carolina Reaper chillies this year. Let me know if you'd like some seeds 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Madras Hot Chicken Tikka Masala is the dish my local (ish) Indian make for me - never tasted anything like it, it's simply sublime. Onion Bhajis the size of a Tennis Ball done crispy and I'm in heaven - if you are ever in Stony Stratford try the Kardamom Lounge in the high street.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you only have the frozen ones? 
 

I grabbed two curries from ALDI this evening as was short of time, the Gf had the chicken korma and I had the tikka masala with a side of Bombay potatoes. 
 

I was very surprised with how good it was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Do you only have the frozen ones? 
 

I grabbed two curries from ALDI this evening as was short of time, the Gf had the chicken korma and I had the tikka masala with a side of Bombay potatoes. 
 

I was very surprised with how good it was.

Hardly bother with a takeaway these days as the quality of this sort of meal has got better and the prices have dropped.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2020 at 08:46, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes they are good value for money.

I find the Iceland curry and chinese takeaway style meals better though.

They should be authentic, there's a good chance the chicken came from Thailand. Iceland bang on about their environmental credentials with regards to palm oil,  but they don't seem to mind carting meat from the other side of the world. Sorry for straying off topic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I avoid supermarket curries, either frozen or ready meals, for one simple reason. They give me heartburn. Restaurant take aways do not. So, I wonder whether it's shelf life preservatives or something in them which is not used in restaurant / take away curry houses?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bobba said:

I avoid supermarket curries, either frozen or ready meals, for one simple reason. They give me heartburn. Restaurant take aways do not. So, I wonder whether it's shelf life preservatives or something in them which is not used in restaurant / take away curry houses?

Or it could be you!

I do not get the heartburn from either cheap shop ready meal curries, takeaways or home cooked versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Or it could be you!

Agreed.

Although, I do occasionally have the same effect with Butcombe bitter. Guesse I'll have to stick to take aways, malt whisky and gaviscon....!

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a rush they are a good thing, but i prefer to make my own now in batches and freeze them - I know what ingredients are in there, and more importantly, i know how much salt, sugar, fats etc are in there

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobba said:

Agreed.

Although, I do occasionally have the same effect with Butcombe bitter. Guesse I'll have to stick to take aways, malt whisky and gaviscon....!

Sounds like a good plan!:good:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...