Shotkam - Where did i miss?

jbk

First outing with the new Shotkam toy, lots of fun looking at these things and I can already tell this will waste far too much of my time, but perhaps it will help my shooting.

Here's a vid collection of a number of misses. Some I think I can see where I missed, some are not so easy to diagnose. I think this is where I missed, what do you think?

1. I was above (?)
  2. I was behind and above (??)
  3. Above (?)
  4. Behind (?)
  5. Above (?)
  6. Above and behind (?)
  7. Way behind (?)

(Possible my reticle is set too high, but not sure, need to align on a pattern plate i think)

p.s. there were some hits too! ;) 

Edited by jbk

I'm not sure as my shotkam arrives this week but i think you can slow them up on your phone or computer and see the 'cloud' of shot so you can be more accurate in diagnosing where you were missing....

I only counted six shots and it's only my interpretation but had you.....

high
high and possibly behind as well
high/behind
behind
high
behind

Nice seeing the misses and i'm sure the shotkam will help you improve things...that's why i bought mine :)

Edited by prem1234

Go through frame by frame, I am out of attachment quota but if you freeze frame you can clearly see the shot string on (1) miss 2ft ahead and 1ft high of the bird. You didn’t quite have it’s line or speed, it was dropping in slowly and you went across horizontally ahead at full pace. Ignore the bits of wad etc. It’s a very easy mistake to make, I’ve done it 100s of times . Nail a hard bird then miss ahead of a sitter floating into the pattern. 

Not sure how deceptive ShotKam is for ranges but need min 250m shooting towards road or houses etc. 

FD3A4AD4-BC2B-4DA7-B578-3F688E5C41B8.jpeg

Edited by WalkedUp

Ha ha ha, thanks chaps.

@prem1234 it's lots of fun watching the vids, you're gonna love it. Thanks for your analysis, I'll watch again with your conclusions overlaid.

@WalkedUp was that frame taken from the YouTube vid i posted? Wow I couldn't see that and I've been trying to view frame by frame in VLC.

@all - It's got to be a helpful tool really hasn't it, certainly a fun one. Then again all well and good analysing this from the comfort of home, but when snap shooting in a cramped hide or windy wood with limited vis and shot window putting the lessons from the analysis into action is a different thing. Better interpretation of a bird's flight path and incremental shooting improvements is what to hope for i guess.

More to come from when I next get out....

Aha @WalkedUp I see that nice youtube feature of ',' & '.' to go back and forth frame by frame, and I see the below from that first shot. Difficulty is you still don't know how far there is between the bird and the shot string.

Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 12.43.13.png

@Centrepin Zeroed as best I can, cheated a bit in that I lined it up with bead at about 15ds not 30, as I did it indoors. Think I'll take a trip to the pattern plate and align it there. It seems to be broadly ok, perhaps reticle a little high I wonder though.

Here are some shots where I did connect.

Lots of us seem to be buying these Shotkams, we should have tried for a bulk buy, bloody expensive these camera's really.

10 minutes ago, jbk said:

Aha @WalkedUp I see that nice youtube feature of ',' & '.' to go back and forth frame by frame, and I see the below from that first shot. Difficulty is you still don't know how far there is between the bird and the shot string

Unfortunately you have to make your best judgement, the last frame before the bird reacts generally!

3 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Unfortunately you have to make your best judgement, the last frame before the bird reacts generally!

👍🏼

Misses in front seem to be the easiest to see as the bird v obviously throws the anchor out.

@Centrepin Perhaps there'll be some on ebay later on in the year when we've all become crack shots!

Edited by jbk

Asked this question before but no one gave an answer.

Never used a shotcam but I was wondering what the cross over point is like, e.g. if you set the red dot point of aim at 25-30 yards then in theory at say 45-50 yards the red dot in the video would look like you are aiming above the bird, or close birds the red dot in the video would look like you are aiming to low.

It would be interesting to see what this looks like on video by placing the gun on a rest, aim down the rib and bead and set the red dot on a small target at 25 yards, then place the target at 45 yards, aim down the rib and bead and record where the red dot is in relation to this point of aim.

JBK what cartridge and choke are you using? The bird at 0:30 appears to be very lucky, to my eye the shot string passes just beneath its breast, it was consistently climbing but the maintained lead didn’t account for it. Again it looks like readying the line. I am no expert and no great shot. 

35 minutes ago, jbk said:

👍🏼

Misses in front seem to be the easiest to see as the bird v obviously throws the anchor out.

@Centrepin Perhaps there'll be some on ebay later on in the year when we've all become crack shots!

It'll be a long wait on Ebay for me to be a crack shot.

29 minutes ago, old'un said:

Asked this question before but no one gave an answer.

Never used a shotcam but I was wondering what the cross over point is like, e.g. if you set the red dot point of aim at 25-30 yards then in theory at say 45-50 yards the red dot in the video would look like you are aiming above the bird, or close birds the red dot in the video would look like you are aiming to low.

It would be interesting to see what this looks like on video by placing the gun on a rest, aim down the rib and bead and set the red dot on a small target at 25 yards, then place the target at 45 yards, aim down the rib and bead and record where the red dot is in relation to this point of aim.

I'm planning on zeroing mine at 30 measured yards as per the instructions, once I've done that I thought, maybe a skeet range where all the distances are or should be easily measured/guessed. After that it'll be sim game and a fast 20/40 bird at various ranges. Maybe more,😁. Once home I can sit back and analyse the footage. I'll post it up on here so you can see for yourself and wonder why I shoot so much sky.

Just waiting for the mail now. 

I might try what you said old'un and do it as a screen shot on my phone. Everything can help.

Edited by Centrepin
Addition

11 minutes ago, crazycooker said:

I zeroed mine at 30 yrds using a hi viz sticky target As per instructions 

I’ve left all setting as recommended 

apart from reticle I use red dot  and remember to select clays or live birds and what type of gun u have it on 

here’s a screen shot and clearly see shot pattern  

28 g of 7.5s 

E67D233F-2DAD-4156-9385-E37897AEA755.png

Bullseye 🎯 

7 minutes ago, b325 said:

Wow. Though it looked more like 10 . Very tight pattern.

Looks far closer than 35 to me!

2 hours ago, jbk said:

First outing with the new Shotkam toy, lots of fun looking at these things and I can already tell this will waste far too much of my time, but perhaps it will help my shooting.

Here's a vid collection of a number of misses. Some I think I can see where I missed, some are not so easy to diagnose. I think this is where I missed, what do you think?

1. I was above (?)
  2. I was behind and above (??)
  3. Above (?)
  4. Behind (?)
  5. Above (?)
  6. Above and behind (?)
  7. Way behind (?)

(Possible my reticle is set too high, but not sure, need to align on a pattern plate i think)

p.s. there were some hits too!  

Not being nasty, but you looked all over the place.

I have my doubts about the usefulness of the Shotkam as a training aid. For starters, it is hard to tell the range the birds are, so if you are mostly behind stuff (for instance), it is difficult to say how much you will need to extend your lead. I think if improvement is the goal, some serious time on the clays or seeing a good coach would be a far better idea.