Shotkam - Where did i miss?

jbk

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

JBK what cartridge and choke are you using? The bird at 0:30 appears to be very lucky, to my eye the shot string passes just beneath its breast, it was consistently climbing but the maintained lead didn’t account for it. Again it looks like readying the line. I am no expert and no great shot. 

@WalkedUp This is the last frame with visible pattern in it for that shot at 0:30, yes I'm underneath a little, but I have a feeling this frame still has the pellets a bit of a way before the bird, so I may be behind on this bird.

I am using a 20b with either 28 or 24gm #6 (mixed cartridge bag🙄) and 1/4 and 1/2

Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 14.39.16.png

Perhaps. If you watch the original uncompressed video on a computer screen with proper video software then you should be able to see a little more clearly, however behind or level it is still under the line and that is caused by misreading the rising path of the bird. 

I would practice taking the slowest crossing clay you can find and shooting it as early in its path as you can, whilst it is still rising. 

@motty Ha, harsh but true on these shots. Perhaps should have included the hits for better context!

Had gun fitting on a new gun and a lesson with it was great for a technique reminder and this you'd certainly not get from watching Shotkam vids. What i think Shotkam must be useful for is diagnosis of those that you weren't sure why you missed in the field and perhaps to identify any fault patterns.

@WalkedUp 👍🏼

I agree that it’s very hard to judge the shot patterns distance from the clay or the bird. How much you can actually gain from one who knows but got mine at very good price for some fun 

if any one wanna have go with mine I am in Dover there’s a clay shoot near by on Sundays or we go for a wander round the farm see what’s about 

On 09/02/2020 at 14:45, jbk said:

@WalkedUp This is the last frame with visible pattern in it for that shot at 0:30, yes I'm underneath a little, but I have a feeling this frame still has the pellets a bit of a way before the bird, so I may be behind on this bird.

I am using a 20b with either 28 or 24gm #6 (mixed cartridge bag🙄) and 1/4 and 1/2

Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 14.39.16.png

@jbk, interesting videos, thank you for sharing.

Have you considered using cyclinder and 1/4 chokes in your 20 rather than 1/4 & 1/2? I've been using them in my Beretta 690 20 bore over the last 12 months and its killed consistency with 25/25gm 7's and 6's. At the ranges the birds appear to be at in your videos I would suggest than cylinder and 1/4 would do the job perfectly.

On 09/02/2020 at 11:43, jbk said:

First outing with the new Shotkam toy, lots of fun looking at these things and I can already tell this will waste far too much of my time, but perhaps it will help my shooting.

Here's a vid collection of a number of misses. Some I think I can see where I missed, some are not so easy to diagnose. I think this is where I missed, what do you think?

1. I was above (?)
  2. I was behind and above (??)
  3. Above (?)
  4. Behind (?)
  5. Above (?)
  6. Above and behind (?)
  7. Way behind (?)

(Possible my reticle is set too high, but not sure, need to align on a pattern plate i think)

p.s. there were some hits too!  

Above and behind most of them. 

12 hours ago, Lord O War said:

On offer at a one time bargain price of £480! If I bought one of them the missus would beat me to death with it lol.

would be video evidence of it though!

14 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

@jbk, interesting videos, thank you for sharing.

Have you considered using cyclinder and 1/4 chokes in your 20 rather than 1/4 & 1/2? I've been using them in my Beretta 690 20 bore over the last 12 months and its killed consistency with 25/25gm 7's and 6's. At the ranges the birds appear to be at in your videos I would suggest than cylinder and 1/4 would do the job perfectly.

I think I'm going to do exactly that @shalfordninja33 and will report back on findings 👍🏼.

On 09/02/2020 at 14:09, motty said:

I have my doubts about the usefulness of the Shotkam as a training aid. For starters, it is hard to tell the range the birds are, so if you are mostly behind stuff (for instance), it is difficult to say how much you will need to extend your lead. I think if improvement is the goal, some serious time on the clays or seeing a good coach would be a far better idea.

I largely agree.  I think that used appropriately and in a given scenario  shotkam can be a great thing, but on it’s own it really adds little.

Sure you might see that you’re missing behind, in front or over the top, but it wont tell you why.

However, If it makes folk smile and they get something from it then great or if makes them discover the why then it’s all good.

10 hours ago, grrclark said:

I largely agree.  I think that used appropriately and in a given scenario  shotkam can be a great thing, but on it’s own it really adds little.

Sure you might see that you’re missing behind, in front or over the top, but it wont tell you why.

However, If it makes folk smile and they get something from it then great or if makes them discover the why then it’s all good.

Surely if it shows you missing say behind, then next time you increase your lead? And so on.....

Just like a hammer it's a tool, some can use one some not.

Maybe it's a marmite type tool🤔

I'm hoping to set mine up today and try a few test shots. Who knows? I may hate it and later today it could be in the for sale section.

It'll certainly give me something to think about unless every shot is a hit - and I can't believe that😁

Edited by Centrepin

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Surely if it shows you missing say behind, then next time you increase your lead? And so on.....

I'm hoping to set mine up today and try a few test shots. Who knows? I may hate it and later today it could be in the for sale section.

It'll certainly give me something to think about unless every shot is a hit - and I can't believe that😁

But then it only useful after that particular stand or presentation of bird. 

Anyone would be better off using a good coach.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But then it only useful after that particular stand or presentation of bird. 

Anyone would be better off using a good coach.

If you remember to charge your phone you can review it before shooting again or it can be watched live.

Obviously you couldn't review it before another pair in a competition but as I don't enter comps it's irrelevant. 

83% battery on phone, left home. 40 mins later tried to connect to Shotkam, 2% battery. No idea what happened 🤔🙄🥴

11 hours ago, Centrepin said:

It's not quite as simple as that though, albeit as a tool it can certainly be used to help identify faults.

The question is why are you missing behind?  Is it because you are misjudging the required amount of lead, is it because of poor technique and you are slowing or stopping the gun, is it poor foot position or body posture and you're running out of swing, is it because you are misreading what the target is doing, etc.

Despite all of that, get out and have fun using it and if it adds something to your shooting then all good.

• 2 months later...