Kenneled Gundogs

Lloyd90

How many of you lads are keeping your gundogs in kennels? 

A bloke I know who’s also a judges says he finds it makes a big difference, do you find it makes them better workers or easier to train? 

For those of you that do kennel em, how long as they in the kennel and how often / how long are they out for?

Never ever kenneled one of my shooting dogs.  Our sheep dog and cattle corgies had their own kennels.  I can honestly say, I have been lucky, very lucky to have had some of the very best canine helpers anyone could wish for and certainly my dogs got the invitations to work or pick up, I was just the driver / game carrier.  Soooo, I have to say it makes very little difference and is just an excuse by some not to have the dogs live in with them.

I have always kennelled my dogs so can’t say what is best. I do see plenty of good dogs that are kept in the house but they tend to be individuals or a brace. Mine have kennels and a small run to the front under cover then a larger yard to the front. They come and go as they please. Given they are expect

My four are out twice a day between one and two hours depending how much training we are doing, singly or collectively.they are expected to be out whatever the weather and being outside means they are used to it and have good thick coats. A friend keeps his in the house and the poor b***ers shiver like hell in bad weather or wildfowling. That to me is the more important part of kennelling.

55 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

A friend keeps his in the house and the poor b***ers shiver like hell in bad weather or wildfowling. That to me is the more important part of kennelling.

Do you know, I’ve never thought about that, that’s a really good point - poor dogs 😔

2 hours ago, B725 said:

I don't believe it makes any difference either, can't see your Mr's letting you put Ted outside 😊

He was born and raised in a Kennel. When we got him he was a little ball of fluff 🤣, although I can’t see him going out now either. 

Not a big enough garden or drainage access on this house for a kennel. Regret it now. I’ve told her when the mortgage is up in 5 years we’re moving and I’m having a kennel! 

Well, my Choccy lab, the one an expert trialler said would never make it and would never be able to jump with his legs, lived in with us all his life. There was nothing he liked better than to break the thin ice on a puddle and then roll in it.  He was curled up under my knees in a shallow hole on a Welsh mountain top in January one year and it was pelting down wih rain. I heard a bubbling sound and the water had run into the hole and was up to his nostrils and he was still fast asleep.  He thrived in the coldest of weather but was a proper lab with a thick double coat and otter tail, not one of those snipey nosed things they call labs these days. My viszlas couldn't care less if they where out working. 

By the way old Muffin could clear a five bar gate with ease and got great satisfaction from doing it under the nose of someone with one leg either side at the time.  So much for 'experts'.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Well, my Choccy lab, the one an expert trialler said would never make it and would never be able to jump with his legs, lived in with us all his life. There was nothing he liked better than to break the thin ice on a puddle and then roll in it.  He was curled up under my knees in a shallow hole on a Welsh mountain top in January one year and it was pelting down wih rain. I heard a bubbling sound and the water had run into the hole and was up to his nostrils and he was still fast asleep.  He thrived in the coldest of weather but was a proper lab with a thick double coat and otter tail, not one of those snipey nosed things they call labs these days. My viszlas couldn't care less if they where out working. 

By the way old Muffin could clear a five bar gate with ease and got great satisfaction from doing it under the nose of someone with one leg either side at the time.  So much for 'experts'.

But where did you keep him? 👍🏻

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Normally when I got up in the morning he would be curled up in my chair in the kitchen, although he had a very comfortable box and bed under the stairs.  He was one of the family not a 'tool' to be kept in a shed.

Downstairs?! This morning I was awoken with Ted jumping up and down on me whilst I tried to hit snooze 😴 😂 

Think he wanted to go out. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Downstairs?! This morning I was awoken with Ted jumping up and down on me whilst I tried to hit snooze 😴 😂 

Think he wanted to go out. 

Brilliant.  Our viszlas used to creep upstairs and push their whiskery muzzle under the sheet and then freeze stil,l in the hope we wouldn't notice.