Bread

Centrepin

Since I retired and the Mrs isn't able to cook anymore I've started doing everything. She's a brilliant cook so I became idle in the kitchen only ever did the washing up.

A while ago I started doing bread as I missed the home baked stuff.

I'm finding I need to make twice as much as I need as it keeps getting pinched by the kids and their kids.

Today's effort included a huge cheese loaf that once cool I'll attack.

20200209_131320.jpg

IMG-20200209-WA0001.jpeg

20200209_145218.jpg

I use a bread maker Sam but, as with everything in life, a little manual assistance helps greatly. For my sins,and I can get a loaf to rise enough to hit the lid, I always add the yeast as the machine goes into constant knead (about 4 minutes after start up) and use a Spatula to push dough down into the mix when it sticks to the sides. I use a bread improver (1 level tablespoon per loaf works wonders) and only ever use rapid setting. I have also found that Olive Oil (not extra virgin) works best for texture rather than Butter or Margarine. What with toasting my seeds I'm beginning to think I might be a MasterBaker but then I've been called something similar for years.

One of lifes small pleasures is fresh bread and butter while it's still warm from the oven.

Later with a slice of gammon and onions/cucumber soaked in vinegar.

Breakfast, 2 slices of cheese bread thick in butter.

I stopped using a bread maker cos I can do a better job by hand and less hassle.

I don't measure anything, I do it by eye.

Strong white (or malted) bread flour, either a full bag or about half. Teaspoon of salt, good splash of oil, but not 20/50,  EP90 or Lègia,🙄 add a little packet of bread yeast. In the mixer with a dough hook, looks like an upside down question mark. Mix with about a pint of warm water drizzled in till it looks right. 2 pints if it's a full bag. I use a pint glass because surprisingly I have a few. I like my dough a bit on the damp side. Mix n mix n mix till it looks ok. Then leave in mixing bowl with a plastic carrier over it to rise for at least 2 hours while I have a sleep.

Flour your hands after 2 ish hours and flour the side. Tip out, and give it some fist. Roll into a sausage shape then cut into pieces and shape into bread cakes. If it's a loaf, after it's been gently pummeled tip in a load of grated cheese and mix it well in by hand. Make an oval shape and put in a loaf tin. Chuck some flour in first so it doesn't stick. Leave to rise while you have a coffee and browse PW. At least half hour, maybe forty or forty five minutes depending on the coffee and content. Then, stick the breadcakes in the oven on real hot for about 12 minutes each tray, depends on how big you make them to how many trays. 12 minutes for each batch is about the time it takes to wash and dry the pots and clean up your mess. When they're nicely brown, take out, leave till cool and eat. If its a loaf, oven doesn't need to be as hot but leave to cook longer. Maybe 20 minutes and check then another 20. Its cooked when its nicely brown and you tip it out, tap it underneath and it sounds hollow. 

Easy peasy 👍

Edited by Centrepin

27 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I remove the paddle before the final bake or you get a massive split in the bottom of the loaf.

That's one reason I stopped. I also tried it just for dough then molded my own

I just know that mine tastes better than the bread maker and daft maybe, but I get a sense of satisfaction from making it. Its like owt else though, it's what suits the individual.

My mother hand-made bread twice a week for over 60 years and taught me to do the same, but I do my twice-weekly bake in the fuss-free bread machine overnight. It makes a cracking loaf and our grand-daughters and grandson lap it up.

21 minutes ago, amateur said:

My mother hand-made bread twice a week for over 60 years and taught me to do the same, but I do my twice-weekly bake in the fuss-free bread machine overnight. It makes a cracking loaf and our grand-daughters and grandson lap it up.

Aye, there's nowt like it, and not full of additives and 💩

1 hour ago, amateur said:

Exactly the same as me. Mum baked twice a week three loafs, never had bought bread. Now I bake twice a week one loaf in the bread machine. The whole family go for it. One of my grandsons was asked what he wanted for birthday present. He said one of Poppa’s loaves! Then he thought some and said, could I have two 😂👍

8 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Since I retired and the Mrs isn't able to cook anymore I've started doing everything. She's a brilliant cook so I became idle in the kitchen only ever did the washing up.

A while ago I started doing bread as I missed the home baked stuff.

I'm finding I need to make twice as much as I need as it keeps getting pinched by the kids and their kids.

Today's effort included a huge cheese loaf that once cool I'll attack.

20200209_131320.jpg

IMG-20200209-WA0001.jpeg

20200209_145218.jpg

I bet those bread rolls would be fantastic with some chunky meat stew 😍

hello, theres nothing like the smell of fresh bread, when i was a nipper we had a baker called Mr Jakes just along our road and you could buy a loaf from his house, mum use to send me along with a shilling and always got a free cake, i was a bit podgy then ha ha, his lardy cake was to die for !!!! have never tasted one better even from the up market farm shop now in the village, anybody on PW bake Lardies 

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, theres nothing like the smell of fresh bread, when i was a nipper we had a baker called Mr Jakes just along our road and you could buy a loaf from his house, mum use to send me along with a shilling and always got a free cake, i was a bit podgy then ha ha, his lardy cake was to die for !!!! have never tasted one better even from the up market farm shop now in the village, anybody on PW bake Lardies 

I had to google lardies, I'd heard of them but apparently it's a southern thing.

They don't seem that difficult to make, I looked at Paul Hollywood's recipie.

I'll bring you some when you invite me down to shoot😁😉

• 1 month later...

With all the madness currently going on, Mrs H and I thought it would be a good idea to maybe look at investing in a bread maker/machine. Have to say, they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo at present but I've been doing some research in to them regardless. It does seem that some don't seem to have that much of a working life so if anyone can make me a recommendation as to which machine, if any, they use I'd be most grateful. I appreciate some still prefer the handmade approach but it is the time saving aspect that I want one for. Thanks.