Bread

Centrepin

Apart from the scarcity of bread machines, you will be damned lucky to get bread flour.

None of the on-line supermarkets that we use have had it now for over a week.

Fortunately I have about 3 weeks supply at the moment, and I did find that an Eastern European shop near me had a few bags of rye-bread mix, which I am eating at present. With that and the sausage and sauerkraut that we had for lunch, we could be in Bavaria 😁

On 09/02/2020 at 14:52, Centrepin said:

Since I retired and the Mrs isn't able to cook anymore I've started doing everything. She's a brilliant cook so I became idle in the kitchen only ever did the washing up.

A while ago I started doing bread as I missed the home baked stuff.

I'm finding I need to make twice as much as I need as it keeps getting pinched by the kids and their kids.

Today's effort included a huge cheese loaf that once cool I'll attack.

20200209_131320.jpg

IMG-20200209-WA0001.jpeg

20200209_145218.jpg

May I have the recipe please?

1 hour ago, Shearwater said:

May I have the recipe please?

I don't measure, its not my way.

So for a cheese loaf:

About half a bag of strong white bread flour, teaspoon of salt, packet of yeast and a good glug of light olive oil and about a pint of warm water. Quick edit, a good glug I suppose is a couple of tablespoons, no more or it'll be oily.

I use a mixer with a dough hook, it looks like an upside down question mark ¿ 

Mix all the ingredients together slowly drizzling in the water till it makes a firmish mix, then just add a tiny bit more water so its slightly on the wet side. About a pint of water to half a bag is about right. Bags are about 1.5kg so I suppose half would be about .75kg. It's not exact science I just guess.

Once mixed, leave it in the mixing bowl, put a plastic carrier or similar over it and leave it to rise for about 2 hours or so. My grandma used to say, "don't forget to take the witch out" and drew a little cross on the top with her finger. No idea why, but i do too.

Grate some cheese, i use cheddar it gives a good flavour. About 3 or 4oz, more or less to your taste.

Once the bread has risen, flour your work surface and hands, tip the dough out and knock it back, knead it a bit, then hand roll it to a sausage shape and flatten it. Mix in all but a tiny bit of cheese. Knead it again till the cheese is roughly evenly distributed. Flour a loaf tin or a cake tin and put your dough in. Just make it fit. Sprinkle the last bit of cheese on top, the more you sprinkle the nicer it looks when it all bubbles up.

Leave it to rise again, covered with a clean cloth for about 30 to 40 mins. 

Place in pre heated oven, on the middle shelf, gas mark 9 or high or very hot for about 10 or 12 mins max then turn down to about gas 4 and give it another 15 mins. Don't keep opening the door to look at it. After the 15 mins at gas 4, check it. It might need another 10 mins then check again. When it's about done, it sounds hollowish when you tap it. Tip it out of the tin and put back in for just a few mins to nicely brown it all over.  Don't burn your fingers.

Leave it to cool, then demolish it. It makes lovely toast the day after as well, very filling.

If you haven't got a mixer you can do it by hand, it's just harder work.

Good luck.👍

Edited by Centrepin

16 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I don't measure, its not my way.

So for a cheese loaf:

About half a bag of strong white bread flour, teaspoon of salt, packet of yeast and a good glug of light olive oil and about a pint of warm water. Quick edit, a good glug I suppose is a couple of tablespoons, no more or it'll be oily.

I use a mixer with a dough hook, it looks like an upside down question mark ¿ 

Mix all the ingredients together slowly drizzling in the water till it makes a firmish mix, then just add a tiny bit more water so its slightly on the wet side. About a pint of water to half a bag is about right. Bags are about 1.5kg so I suppose half would be about .75kg. It's not exact science I just guess.

Once mixed, leave it in the mixing bowl, put a plastic carrier or similar over it and leave it to rise for about 2 hours or so. My grandma used to say, "don't forget to take the witch out" and drew a little cross on the top with her finger. No idea why, but i do too.

Grate some cheese, i use cheddar it gives a good flavour. About 3 or 4oz, more or less to your taste.

Once the bread has risen, flour your work surface and hands, tip the dough out and knock it back, knead it a bit, then hand roll it to a sausage shape and flatten it. Mix in all but a tiny bit of cheese. Knead it again till the cheese is roughly evenly distributed. Flour a loaf tin or a cake tin and put your dough in. Just make it fit. Sprinkle the last bit of cheese on top, the more you sprinkle the nicer it looks when it all bubbles up.

Leave it to rise again, covered with a clean cloth for about 30 to 40 mins. 

Place in pre heated oven, on the middle shelf, gas mark 9 or high or very hot for about 10 or 12 mins max then turn down to about gas 4 and give it another 15 mins. Don't keep opening the door to look at it. After the 15 mins at gas 4, check it. It might need another 10 mins then check again. When it's about done, it sounds hollowish when you tap it. Tip it out of the tin and put back in for just a few mins to nicely brown it all over.  Don't burn your fingers.

Leave it to cool, then demolish it. It makes lovely toast the day after as well, very filling.

If you haven't got a mixer you can do it by hand, it's just harder work.

Good luck.👍

Shall give it a try; your time is appreciated. Cheers