17hmr set up wanted

Essex Keeper

I was gonna tell you all about mine till you mentioned big money - my now spare sub 300 round varmint barrelled Sako Quad won't fit that price range and doesn't come with a mod either. Keep in mind HMR's are about half way through their barrels at 3000 rounds.

There's oodles of CZ's always being sold that will fit in with your budget.

Edited by Dave-G

19 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I was gonna tell you all about mine till you mentioned big money - my now spare sub 300 round varmint barrelled Sako Quad won't fit that price range and doesn't come with a mod either. Keep in mind HMR's are about half way through their barrels at 3000 rounds.

There's oodles of CZ's always being sold that will fit in with your budget.

Is that statement from personal experience?

I am on my third, which I bought second hand, which has done around 4000 rounds whilst I have been using it, and the previous two had each done 10,000+ rounds and still shot as well as the ammo allowed them to.

Yep - we are both on our second barrels, originals were showing progressively more flyers until completely unreliable. Huge amounts of various solvent cleaning, rodding, fouling, scope swaps, barrel clearance checks, Utra mod strips/cleans. Seems the breech areas erode - I'm thinking possibly aggravated by split casings. EDIT: Which we don't hear as much about these days.

Both only sorted by giving up after hundreds of rounds fired during frustrating trials and eventually replacing barrels. Straight forwards for the Quad, brothers Arnie was a bit more involved.

We both had them new from our first FAC grants and had a good knowledge of how many rounds we had bought.  At that time we were very keen and had very productive permissions which we eventually overshot. 

Edited by Dave-G

I've a CZ452 Style ( Black composite stock and nickelled barrel )  HMR ; 20" barrel and a reflexed Wildcat HMR moderator coupled with a Tasco Varmint 6-24 x 42 millidot scope available if your willing to travel Southampton direction for £400 ono. I've owned it for 5 years plus and put less than 300 rnds through it, hardly used as its too noisy for my requirements.