Fox in cage trap

washerboy

A friend of mine has set a fox trap over night to try and catch the fox that has been taking his hens and the odd duck. 

Question is he hasn't a gun for dispatching the caught fox, as he thought I could do it. Legally can he trap this fox and can I move it from his land to shoot it in the trap. His small holding is in a built up area and I wouldn't shoot a gun besides an airgun on the place. 

Obviously I'm not using an airgun to dispatch the fox. 

I would transport it to somewhere safe and discrete.  Sounds like an quick way to lose your license there. Sheet wrapped round the trap. Then another sheet in vehicle to collect any 'debris' on route.  Call at a garage on the way home and buy half dozen of those dangling nice smelling things to hang in your vehicle.

2 hours ago, washerboy said:

A friend of mine has set a fox trap over night to try and catch the fox that has been taking his hens and the odd duck. 

Question is he hasn't a gun for dispatching the caught fox, as he thought I could do it. Legally can he trap this fox and can I move it from his land to shoot it in the trap. His small holding is in a built up area and I wouldn't shoot a gun besides an airgun on the place. 

Obviously I'm not using an airgun to dispatch the fox. 

I use .410 with mod. Very quiet. If you are local to me I will come and do it for you. Dm in West Sussex.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I would transport it to somewhere safe and discrete.  Sounds like an quick way to lose your license there. Sheet wrapped round the trap. Then another sheet in vehicle to collect any 'debris' on route.  Call at a garage on the way home and buy half dozen of those dangling nice smelling things to hang in your vehicle.

Why would he possibly lose his licence?

IF he does not have an open license then not permit to shoot there. Plus even on an open license you have to take responsibility for the safe use etc., and authorities would be quick to jump if it was in someones back yard in a busy neighbourhood.

2 hours ago, southeastpete said:

Why would he possibly lose his licence?

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Isnt hindsight a wonderful thing LOL 

"I will just trap this Fox" 

"Ooo now what am i going to do"

Exactly.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

IF he does not have an open license then not permit to shoot there. Plus even on an open license you have to take responsibility for the safe use etc., and authorities would be quick to jump if it was in someones back yard in a busy neighbourhood.

Exactly.

Shotgun?

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Same.  Still to risky in my view and much easier to take it away quietly.  He really should have thought this out prior to setting the trap and not dropping on you to sort out.

I don’t get why a shotgun is too risky. Shotguns are advised over rifles etc for home slaughter due to the lack of ricochet risk or over penetration. With a fox in a cage you would be shooting down. No risk to anyone. 

Yes neighbours may be able to see or hear it, but it’s a perfectly safe and legal activity with no risk of losing your licence.

3 minutes ago, walshie said:

Might I be right to assume anyone suggesting shooting a fox in a cage with a 12 bore has never actually shot a fox in a cage with a 12 bore?

I reckon you're bang on the money!:good:

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Far better to transport the damned thing in the vehicle belonging to the chap who set the trap without thinking what happens next?

10 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Catching foxes in cages isn't quite as straight forward as it seems! I've caught numerous cats, badgers, a small dog, hedgehogs and a pole cat in the pursuit of trapping a fox! 

Got this T shirt ^^^^^^^

although I’ve been lucky enough to catch up to 5 on the bounce in one and it catches in the same place every year 👍😊