Beaters and Picker ups

BUCKSHOT1

I don't think it' s a bad offer to be honest. Those who don't needn't go. A shoot I used to beat on didn't pay either it's beaters or pickers up, but they got a good feed in the local pub and as much beer as they could drink after each day, and a beaters day at the end of the season. No one complained. The only complaint I had was that no one turned up to beat for the lads on beaters day, so it was beat one stand one. Not on in my book. Then at one of the beaters days a couple of guns turned up to stand behind the lads to 'mop up'! They thought it was great fun; no one else did and it was the last time I went.

On our little syndicate which is beat one stand one, relatives and friends come to beat and exercise their dogs, but only the kids get paid, and that's by virtue of a whip round. We pay for our own end of season shoot dinner. 

On the BIG shoot, all beaters and pickers up get paid 40 quid a day. Some are retired but those who can, take a day off work to beat and pick up, at a loss to themselves. They are rewarded with a big beaters day, which comprises of stand one beat one over six drives ( we shot 477 birds on ours this season just gone ) and a big slap up meal in the local pub. Some beaters drive for miles ( the furthest coming from Lancaster ) on beaters day even though they may not shoot, and don't get paid; it's not always about the money.

I think it's a fantastic opportunity for those looking for a 'toe in'. 

How many days do you need beaters for.  Before I retired I would have been happy to beat  4 or 5 days for the perks you have on offer, I would expect something towards travelling expenses.  Now 15 years into retirement I am inclined to take beating days at £40 rather then shooting days for myself.

Blackpowder

4 hours ago, BUCKSHOT1 said:

Bit harsh all my men and woman have been with me for about 15 years they all shoot, they have two boundaries days shooting up to 60 pheasants and mallard all driven ,full beaters day on Boxing Day bag around 110 pheasants and duck and a last day clear up bag this year was 85 in total.

I book a meal in one of our top hotels , beaters have free meal drinks and allows presents for farmers and beaters a raffle money going to Air Ambulance .

Fair play mate 👍🏻 Can’t argue with that. 

Prob costs more than a tenner or so at the end of the day. 

But some shoots are paying naff all and the beaters aren’t so well looked after. 

On 12/02/2020 at 18:35, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Far too often an extra drive was requested and the Keepers tip never seemed to get to any of the Beaters.

Strange thing is most shoots rely on the old retired people who have the spare time and could make good use of a fair days pay. But I know it will NEVER happen.

Never known the keepers tips to come anywhere near the beaters, nor have ever looked for it.

Blackpowder

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's a good offer. If you like a bit of shooting but don't want to join a syndicate or buy a day, here is a great opportunity to get some game shooting for nothing but your time and effort. I am sure that will appeal to many. I think it would to me. Exercise, fresh air and a couple of no pressure shooting days.