Why does my telly?

harrycatcat1

hello, just type in google make/model/ fault, you find other people have had same got an answer, i do this quite often, my telly the picture keeps going off, but not often, it said some part is gradually on the way out, when it does go its in the bin and a new one bought, now theres something, what do i replace with,

11 hours ago, henry d said:

Needs an update?

I only did it the other day tbh as it kept coming up on the screen 👍👍

I will do it again and try it just in case.

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just type in google make/model/ fault, you find other people have had same got an answer, i do this quite often, my telly the picture keeps going off, but not often, it said some part is gradually on the way out, when it does go its in the bin and a new one bought, now theres something, what do i replace with,

I will try it👍

It's usually bad signal, incorrect local mast or an update to the regions you've not had.

If a reboot doesn't fix it (Full plug out for a minute or more) check your signal (you can get a picture with a low digital signal, but the data will drop out pretty easily) and check your aerial is pointing at your local mast.

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

It's usually bad signal, incorrect local mast or an update to the regions you've not had.

If a reboot doesn't fix it (Full plug out for a minute or more) check your signal (you can get a picture with a low digital signal, but the data will drop out pretty easily) and check your aerial is pointing at your local mast.

Thanks, I suspected it might be signal but couldn't work out why the picture didn't go off. It seems to fluctuate so I also suspected the weather might be affecting it.

Thanks again👍👍

1 hour ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

It's very likely a weak signal, our downstairs telly is on the roof aerial and doesn't have this problem, our upstairs telly has a local aerial and particularly in bad weather we hardly ever get the TV guide to populate the info

That would be my guess as well

If you have had the ‘new channel/s found’ come up on your screen and you have pressed update (retune) you need to update the channel list once it has retuned and found new channels.

My TV setup menu is….Setup/DVB tuning menu/Update channel list, push ok to update.

Data for the electronic programme guide is broadcast over the air the same as the other channels, but in it’s own part of the broadcast spectrum, so the BBC1 channel you are watching may be full signal, but the EPG signal is mince.  Like how some channels will be grand and others a bit ropey.

As it’s not a continual changing transmission, like an actual tv show, the box builds up a buffer, hence why sometimes when you check 10 mins later the guide is fully populated, but if you try to view the details of a show in the guide it might not work.

As suggested by others, shaky reception is the problem

31 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I have just retuned the telly and noticed there was a "booster" in the menu, so I turned it on and low and behold the guide works fine now. So was it the booster or the retune?

I don't know. 

Screenshot_20200212-195628.jpg

Forget this it's just being temperamental and its back to normal not working all the time.

Thanks again 👍

There can be a legion of reasons for weak signal;

• Aerial not pointing/aligned correctly
  • Aerial getting corroded - can occur especially when on a chimney as the smoke form log/coal gives an acid residue which combines with water.
  • Cables/cable connections deteriorated (water can get in)
  • Broadcaster moved frequencies to another part of the band (some aerials including most older ones only cover part of the band which was all that was needed in most areas pre digital TV - many modern ones are 'broadband' which covers all parts).
  • Can even be that a building has been built in your 'line of sight', though this is likely to be obvious.
  • If indoors - any changes to home insulation involving foil covered insulating slabs can have a big effect

Possibly you need to get a TV aerial man in to advise - because local knowledge may point at a solution

hello, talking of TVs, there is a disused antenna  Dish on the side of the building and a few years back i bought some gadget from Aldi to connect up without the need to get Sky, anyone know what these are called, oh i gave it away to a family with a disabled son, but there must be similar products, i use to get 100s of channels, cheers

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, talking of TVs, there is a disused antenna  Dish on the side of the building and a few years back i bought some gadget from Aldi to connect up without the need to get Sky, anyone know what these are called, oh i gave it away to a family with a disabled son, but there must be similar products, i use to get 100s of channels, cheers

Maybe a free sat box?

No sky channels but you get more channels than freeview, you can get TVs with free sat built in, so no need for an external box.

Edited by Newbie to this

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Maybe a free sat box?

No sky channels but you get more channels than freeview, you can get TVs with free sat built in, so no need for an external box.

hello, thanks, yes no sky but loads of other channels, any idea of a cheap sat box, just remembered still have original dish in loft, 

Hi Harrycatcat1,

I too have problems with my programme guide, in as much as it only displays the current programme and the next. I contacted Panasonic, who simply said that my TV was an old model and can no longer read the signal. Strange as my Panasonic DVD recorder (bought at the same time) still shows the full range of programmes.  It's a real nuisance, but as the TV works fine otherwise, I am reluctant to splash the cash on a new model.