Craft beer

grrclark

I am spending a chunk of my life working away from home just now and in the Spar shop neighbouring my regular hotel they have a fantastic collection of craft beers from maybe 20-30 independent micro breweries and probably 100-150 different beers available. For those in the north east of Scotland it is the fuel station/Spar shop in Elrick/Westhill.

The explosion in craft brewers had largely passed me by until I saw the range in this wee shop.  I know there are a lot of folk who do micro brewing at home, there is a great thread in the food & drink section on this that has had me awfully tempted to give it a bash, but i really had no idea that it was so popular and the finished product so professional.

Looking at the collection i am actually overwhelmed with what to try, there are some 330ml tins from £2 to £14 and tins of a pint in measure or more.  I thought most craft beer was bottled, but i’ve had my eyes opened.

Tonight i picked up a wee collection of a marshmallow based porter ale called Stay Puft, a chilli porter called La Federal and a chocolate stout called Moose Mousse (pic attached).  All were very good and i’m resisting the temptation to wander round there and get some more.

As i’m expecting to be spending a considerable part of the next year in this hotel i fully intend to explore a lot more.  I thought i was decently travelled in trying many beers and ales, but i’m absolutely delighted to discover that there is a great voyage of discovery ahead of me.

I know that there will certainly Be many beer fans amongst the PW world so any recommendations would be gratefully received.

If Islandgun reads this post, i think along with the food that you make for folk visiting the Hebridean paradise you call home a wee micro brewery would while away many an hour of pleasure too. 

DA9C5A56-5851-4230-8DEC-FAB342294DF4.jpeg

See if they have any Black Isle Brewery beers whilst you’re up that way. The Blonde is good (very traditional Germanic type) but the Red Kite and Porter are delicious (and very different - fruity and Chocolately respectively)! 👍🏼

Alternatively the Cairngorm Brewery has some wacky stuff - favourite is Nessie’s monster mash - might be bit niche though! 

5 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

See if they have any Black Isle Brewery beers whilst you’re up that way. The Blonde is good (very traditional Germanic type) but the Red Kite and Porter are delicious (and very different - fruity and Chocolately respectively)! 👍🏼

Alternatively the Cairngorm Brewery has some wacky stuff - favourite is Nessie’s monster mash - might be bit niche though! 

I’ve been a bit squiffy on Black Isle beer a few times, it is good medicine.

43 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I am spending a chunk of my life working away from home just now and in the Spar shop neighbouring my regular hotel they have a fantastic collection of craft beers from maybe 20-30 independent micro breweries and probably 100-150 different beers available. For those in the north east of Scotland it is the fuel station/Spar shop in Elrick/Westhill.

The explosion in craft brewers had largely passed me by until I saw the range in this wee shop.  I know there are a lot of folk who do micro brewing at home, there is a great thread in the food & drink section on this that has had me awfully tempted to give it a bash, but i really had no idea that it was so popular and the finished product so professional.

Looking at the collection i am actually overwhelmed with what to try, there are some 330ml tins from £2 to £14 and tins of a pint in measure or more.  I thought most craft beer was bottled, but i’ve had my eyes opened.

Tonight i picked up a wee collection of a marshmallow based porter ale called Stay Puft, a chilli porter called La Federal and a chocolate stout called Moose Mousse (pic attached).  All were very good and i’m resisting the temptation to wander round there and get some more.

As i’m expecting to be spending a considerable part of the next year in this hotel i fully intend to explore a lot more.  I thought i was decently travelled in trying many beers and ales, but i’m absolutely delighted to discover that there is a great voyage of discovery ahead of me.

I know that there will certainly Be many beer fans amongst the PW world so any recommendations would be gratefully received.

If Islandgun reads this post, i think along with the food that you make for folk visiting the Hebridean paradise you call home a wee micro brewery would while away many an hour of pleasure too. 

Theres some strange brews there ,  Im envious of your quest but gone are the heady days of beer quaffing for me, due to acid reflux and i suspect early onset gout, I recently happened to have 4 pints and an excellent Lancashire hot pot whilst in Longridge Lancashire in the interestingly named dog inn, and spent most of the night in bloat. Regarding micro brewers, two have set up in Harris in the last year, so i may sample the odd half !  Where about's is your work ? all in the north east ?

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

Do you need an assistant? I can work for reasonable rates, especially if beer is supplied.

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Theres some strange brews there ,  Im envious of your quest but gone are the heady days of beer quaffing for me, due to acid reflux and i suspect early onset gout, I recently happened to have 4 pints and an excellent Lancashire hot pot whilst in Longridge Lancashire in the interestingly named dog inn, and spent most of the night in bloat. Regarding micro brewers, two have set up in Harris in the last year, so i may sample the odd half !  Where about's is your work ? all in the north east ?

That is a cursed affliction.

I was thinking you should microbrew too.

Just now i’m spending 3-4 days a week just outside Aberdeen, it’s not very far from home, but too much to commute every day.

I can work anywhere really, but the dice rolled nicely and for now it’s a great engagement in the north east.

42 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Do you need an assistant? I can work for reasonable rates, especially if beer is supplied.

If the need for a beer quaffing assistant comes up you’re on the shortlist.

"Craft" as such is a marketing thing - They are just (mainly) small independent breweries, brewing for a chuckle and a small profit if possible, because they're fed up to the eye teeth with insipid lager and ales being badly served in rubbish chain pubs.

If you want to make your own, watch this  

4 hours ago, stumpy69 said:

My favourite shop. Give their guest beers on tap a try, not sure what they have on at the moment but they are usually really good. I might have to pop in there a lunch and pick up a few things.

It is an excellent shop, quite odd that a shop attached to a garage would be a haven for beer enthusiasts, but more power to them I say.

• 2 weeks later...

Our local Costcutter won the best wine and beer award for Costcutters UK a couple of years ago.

There is a mad range, but some of the beers are crazily strong, I'm not keen on anything over 5.5%, and expensive. The problem is there's too much choice.

Although bigger than most 'craft' breweries I like most of the Willams beers, and they're priced at the lower end of the range.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

They don't sell it in Spar but I'm currently going through ~12 bottles of Founders KBS a month, I do drink other stuff and I like a lot of the Founders tipples but this is my regular go to special treat, at 12.2% it really does do the trick 👍

Had to look that one up. Definitely not a session beer is it? Wouldn't mind trying it but at £7 a bottle I won't be buying it any time soon.

6 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Had to look that one up. Definitely not a session beer is it? Wouldn't mind trying it but at £7 a bottle I won't be buying it any time soon.

Only suitable for short sessions 🙂 If it's your kind of thing then it is worth a try, I'm paying £5.40 a bottle at present, which is still steep and why I consider it a treat.

I went to one of the Founder Brewery Xmas tasting parties in Ann Arbor, Michigan a few years back and it was a culinary and tasting extravaganza.

Another favourite is New Holland Dragon Milk but never been able to source it in the UK, just a few bottles when I pop over to Michigan for business.

The Founders beer does have somewhat of a cult following in the US, my former boss get's himself, his missus and eldest out queuing in different stores when they do certain releases of their seasonal / restricted brewing products.

22 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Only suitable for short sessions 🙂 If it's your kind of thing then it is worth a try, I'm paying £5.40 a bottle at present, which is still steep and why I consider it a treat.

That's slightly more reasonable. I'd have a bottle at that price for a treat. I do love a good stout.

Stout wise my daughter and I shared a can they had in a pub tucked away round a corner from Newcastle's Bigg market, Tailgate brewery peanut butter milk stout, nice but not a sesh job. Harbour brewery (via ASDA) do some nice brews, ellensburg session IPA, and the higher% little rock IPA. Two from Scotland's Drygate to try are Disco forklift truck and Crossing the Rubicon but not if you don't like citrussy or mango flavours. Black sheep Glug M'Glug is good but too much% for a sesh. Meantime brewery do some nice pale ales, and finally Stewart brewery, First world problems Belgian IPA is moreish but fairly strong. Seek out Tempest brewery ales as well, don't think that they do cans, just bottles.

Creme de la crème, and not a craft beer, has to be Pilsner Urquell.

Edited by henry d
Addendum

• 2 months later...
On 29/06/2020 at 17:36, Raja Clavata said:

snapshotimagehandler_1844809296.jpeg?h=5

I rated this at 4.6/5, available at Tescos 👍

That’s a cracking beer. I also quite like the blueberry waffle breakfast stout that Tesco also sells. I tried a Northern Monk peanut butter and jelly porter yesterday for a change but it was very disappointing- thin and watery with no head.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just bringing this thread back up. I have spent the summer and autumn so far enjoying the craft beer war that has been going on between Tesco and Morrisons. I've had some real belters for a mximum of £3.50 per 440ml can. The quality is such that you could easily spend £6 or £7 in a conventional bottle shop.

I tried a few subscriptions but for the most part underwhelmed and having established what I do and don't like I can buy 10 fantastic beers from the supermarket for £30.

My real passion is barrel aged imperial stouts but my Founders supply dried up, I have since come to very much appreciate NEIPA and DDH IPA.

Current favourites are Salt IKAT, Northern Brewing Scafell and Transient, 15 mile roundtrip, clairvoyance, green curve KVEIK plus a few others along similar lines.

Right now Tesco seem to be ahead of Morrisons but they chop and change. Chapeau I say!